Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindness
    started a topic Kindness

Kindness

There are a few steps that should be taken each time an instrument is set up. Doing these steps in the proper order is critical to achieve the desired end result.

1. Tune the instrument to the pitch it will be played.

2. Set the relief.

3. Set the string heights.

4. Set the intonation.

5. Set the pickup heights.

Done. Okay, it is that easy, but here

• GreaserMatt
    replied
    Oh yeah, it's plywood... (what did I expect for $45? lol)

See my mods I just did to it...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28180505&postcount=5

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28180608&postcount=7

Nuthin' wrong w/ plywood... I gots me some plywood basses that sound great! I prefer vintage Fenders though, LOL

Leave a comment:

• GreaserMatt
    replied
    this needs a sticky aswell

+1000

Great thread, Kindness

Leave a comment:

• yz250f49
    replied
    Hi Kindness, I tightened the truss rod about a 1/4 turn yesterday and it seems the action is a bit lower now. I will check it again tonight or tomorrow, but it's definitly getting better.

I sure like the flatwounds on there and the lack of string noise. Reminds me of the first bass I had back in Jr High in the 60's.

I may try to lower the strings a bit later using the bridge adjustment screws if needed.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Kindness
    replied
    The action is higher because the tension has pulled more bow into the neck. First set up the truss rod under this new tension and go from there.

Leave a comment:

• PiotreX
    replied
    @yz250f49: Man, get your bass some Quarterpounder goodness It'll add a lot to your tone. A LOT! It'll probably cost you some 70$, but it'll be worth it. Even get a used one if you can find one. Good luck on the bass playin'!

Leave a comment:

• yz250f49
    replied
    Hey, maybe we are Paisans....

Anyway, I got the strings on and got them tuned them up. I noticed the action is higher now. I will let it sit a day or two and play with it some more.

Thanks again for your advice and help! Going to bed in a few.. 5:15 am comes too early.

TTYL.....

Leave a comment:

• Kindness
    replied
    Not to get off topic, but do you know where South Miller street is near the University? My mother grew up there and attended school there. I went back there in 2006 for the first time since 1968. They lived right next door to the Miller St. Playlot.

Yeah, of course. I used to live not far from there and would head over to the school for basketball games and concerts and stuff. Lots of good eating on Taylor Street too.

Leave a comment:

• yz250f49
    replied
    Yeah, If I would have known someone as helpful as you are was out here, I would have posted here sooner!

Not to get off topic, but do you know where South Miller street is near the University? My mother grew up there and attended school there. I went back there in 2006 for the first time since 1968. They lived right next door to the Miller St. Playlot.

Leave a comment:

• Kindness
    replied
    Nice work!

Does this mean I need to start scouring the electric guitars forum to find more bass posts? Damnit! Bring the basses to me.

Leave a comment:

• yz250f49
    replied
    Oh yeah, it's plywood... (what did I expect for $45? lol)

See my mods I just did to it...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28180505&postcount=5

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28180608&postcount=7

Leave a comment:

• Kindness
    replied
    Nope. Plywood is strong. Are you even sure it's plywood? It won't matter. The question will be whether the neck itself and the truss rod stabilizing it are strong enough. They should be, but no promises.

Leave a comment:

• yz250f49
    replied
    My pleasure. Just know that the G string you are using is going to be tight and watch to make sure the neck doesn't start moving.

Also, do you think that the fact it is a plywood body (cheap )may cause the neck/body join to be weaker?

Leave a comment:

• Kindness
    replied
    I expect they will be just fine, but maybe a bit dry sounding compared to a lower gauge or rounds.

Leave a comment:

• yz250f49
    replied
    I got them for free......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X