Drum Mics Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Mics Recommendations?

uys,

I’m interested in purchasing a set of drum mics to record a pro quality album with. Interested in your recommendations.

It will be a heavy rock album and the drumming style is in the vein of Bonham, Dave Grohl, Chuck Biscuits etc (heavy hitters).

My drum setup is your basic 4 piece setup with a crash on either side, ride and hats in usual position. I play an early 90’s DW collectors kit (14” snare, 22” kick, 13” rack, 16” floor).

Using my Pro Tools rig to record (using MOTU interface & preamps).

I’m thinking a 7 mic setup will be good, with additional room mic and hi hat mic as optional:

1. Kick
    2. Snare top
    3. Snare bottom
    4. Rack Tom
    5. Floor Tom
    6. Overhead 1 condenser
    7. Overhead 2 condenser
    8. Hi hats (optional)
    9. Room (optional)

Right now I’m leaning towards Shure as it’s in my budget. Beta 52A for kick, SM57’s for the snare and toms, a pair of SM81 condenser mics for overheads. Hats potentially another SM81 and room mic unsure.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Originally posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
    uys,

I’m interested in purchasing a set of drum mics to record a pro quality album with. Interested in your recommendations.

It will be a heavy rock album and the drumming style is in the vein of Bonham, Dave Grohl, Chuck Biscuits etc (heavy hitters).

My drum setup is your basic 4 piece setup with a crash on either side, ride and hats in usual position. I play an early 90’s DW collectors kit (14” snare, 22” kick, 13” rack, 16” floor).

Using my Pro Tools rig to record (using MOTU interface & preamps).

I’m thinking a 7 mic setup will be good, with additional room mic and hi hat mic as optional:

1. Kick
    2. Snare top
    3. Snare bottom
    4. Rack Tom
    5. Floor Tom
    6. Overhead 1 condenser
    7. Overhead 2 condenser
    8. Hi hats (optional)
    9. Room (optional)

Right now I’m leaning towards Shure as it’s in my budget. Beta 52A for kick, SM57’s for the snare and toms, a pair of SM81 condenser mics for overheads. Hats potentially another SM81 and room mic unsure.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

The Shure mics you are considering are very good - it's hard to go too far wrong with classics like those.

FWIW, here's what I typically use... which varies a bit, in part depending on whether I'm working at my place or at another studio.

Kick: E/V RE20 or RE320; for what you're doing, I also really like the Audix D6. I also use a Yamaha Subkick too, or a U47FET if the studio has one.
    Snare: Audix i5 or Shure SM57 or the Granrelli Audio Labs G5790, which is a regular SM57 with a right-angle body. Occasionally I'll use a vintage AKG D1000E instead.
    Snare bottom: I normally mic the snare shell from the side - I usually don't use top and bottom snare mics.
    Rack Tom(s): Audix D2.
    Floor Tom: Audix D4 or Audio Technica ATM25 or ATM250.
    Overheads: Varies - sometimes Oktava MC012's (also known as the MK-012) or Audio Technica AT4041's, other times Blue Hummingbirds, occasionally Beyer M160 ribbon mics; lately I've been digging the new Warm Audio WA-84's that I have in for review...
    Hi Hats: Often I don't need it, but when I do, I usually use the Audio Technica ATM450 or another Oktava MC012 with a hypercardioid capsule. Same with the ride cymbal, if it needs a spot mic...
    Room Mic: This varies a lot. If I'm at a studio with a good pair of vintage Neumann U67's, I almost always opt for those - sticking with my own mic collection, I often go with a pair of 251's, but I'll often experiment here - especially if we're going for a hyper-compressed "effect" type of room sound.

Also, you might want to check out this thread over in my Studio Trenches forum - while it's titled "Drum Panning", we also discuss our drum mic preferences.

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...8-drum-panning

Best of luck with your recording project!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

The Shure mics you are considering are very good - it's hard to go too far wrong with classics like those.

FWIW, here's what I typically use... which varies a bit, in part depending on whether I'm working at my place or at another studio.

Kick: E/V RE20 or RE320; for what you're doing, I also really like the Audix D6. I also use a Yamaha Subkick too, or a U47FET if the studio has one.
      Snare: Audix i5 or Shure SM57 or the Granrelli Audio Labs G5790, which is a regular SM57 with a right-angle body. Occasionally I'll use a vintage AKG D1000E instead.
      Snare bottom: I normally mic the snare shell from the side - I usually don't use top and bottom snare mics.
      Rack Tom(s): Audix D2.
      Floor Tom: Audix D4 or Audio Technica ATM25 or ATM250.
      Overheads: Varies - sometimes Oktava MC012's (also known as the MK-012) or Audio Technica AT4041's, other times Blue Hummingbirds, occasionally Beyer M160 ribbon mics; lately I've been digging the new Warm Audio WA-84's that I have in for review...
      Hi Hats: Often I don't need it, but when I do, I usually use the Audio Technica ATM450 or another Oktava MC012 with a hypercardioid capsule. Same with the ride cymbal, if it needs a spot mic...
      Room Mic: This varies a lot. If I'm at a studio with a good pair of vintage Neumann U67's, I almost always opt for those - sticking with my own mic collection, I often go with a pair of 251's, but I'll often experiment here - especially if we're going for a hyper-compressed "effect" type of room sound.

Also, you might want to check out this thread over in my Studio Trenches forum - while it's titled "Drum Panning", we also discuss our drum mic preferences.

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...8-drum-panning

Best of luck with your recording project!
      This is awesome info Phil, thanks so much for the reccs!

Comment

Originally posted by johnbarnesiii View Post

This is awesome info Phil, thanks so much for the reccs!
        You're quite welcome. Feel free to let us know if you have other questions about your recording project.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

John, looks like a good setup in your original post. Phil's picks are solid as usual. I use a lot of Shure mics in my drum setup as well. SM57 on toms and snare. SM81 for room mic. Kick drum mic is pretty personal preference, I use an Audix D6, which is a solid mic for rock music but a beta52 should do fine I think. I mike snare bottom using an sm58, but I never found bottom snare to be that useful in a mix, its usually used subtly. I remember recording engineer Andrew Scheps once said that any kinda mic is sufficient for bottom snare. I think the most important parts might be the overheads and what type of mic placement (eg. XY, spaced pair) you're using on the overheads, and also the room position, size and acoustics. I actually use pretty budget mics on my overheads, Rode M5 in XY formation. If you're interested, I have a recording of my drum setup on my soundcloud page.
          Moderator - Vocals and Voiceovers Forum
          Follow me on Twitter and Soundcloud

Comment

The Rode M5’s definitely perform better than their low price might otherwise suggest - they are very good budget-friendly condensers IMO.

Here's a link to my review of the Rode M5's, if anyone is interested in reading my more in-depth impressions.

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
            X