No announcement yet.

external drives reccomendation

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external drives reccomendation

Hello all, I hope we are turning everything up to eleven!! I was wondering about your thoughts about a good external hard drive music production.

Thank you---to eleven!!

I have one. I bought one of the inexpensive cases on eBay for $5 then put one of the extra solid state drive I had laying around in the case. Total cost for the drive and case was about $25. The case is just a couple of connections which plug the drive in. I don't even think it has any kind of chips, but if it does its minimal circuitry.

Here's an example of a 2T case which will take a SS drive. They are all less then $5 on this page. (that's because there isn't much to them) You just need to buy your drive separately. You'll just have to match the drive and the port you'll use, USB2 or USB3 etc.

https://www.ebay.com/i/132539829478?...r=431891823740

The case comes with a connecting cable which uses two USB plugs at the same time for added speed.
    I've used it to move files from one computer to another and it worked the same as any thumb drive does except its larger.

The 3.5" SATA drive cases cost a bit more but they perform the same job. They require a separate AC power adaptor because USB doesn't have enough juice to spin up their platen motors.

Using an external drive for backup is fine. I'm not sure how well it would work for streaming a project too and from the unit while tracking or mixing. All my DAW's have multiple internal drives, including my portable workstation. The drives plug directly into the computer bus for maximum speed and I have one drive set up exclusively for recording wave files.

I have other drives set up for backups and finished projects. The trick for speed is to use a second drive which isn't your main drive. This gives you two sets of heads working at the same time, your main drive isn't bogged down by huge wave files and your wave files don't get fragmented by your main drive changing size with swap and temp files.

I should note, you cant partition the main drive and stream/retrieve wave files from a single partitioned drive. (the hard drive heads cant be in two places at the same time). to work on a project it either must be on your main drive or a second drive. You can partition the second drive but be sure to leave the recording partition for wave files only. This way it doesn't get fragmented and will always run at maximum speed.

if your computer is a laptop with a single drive, you could try recording to an external drive but due to the nature of USB being a master slave port I don't put allot of faith in USB running glitch free, Its bad enough running a USB interface, running a USB drive at the same time probably wouldn't work out very well on my computers.

You can try it of course. If you experience dropouts, I'd record and mix my current project on the main drive then simply backup all my other work to the external drive. The main drive it will run its best with a clean drive that's defragmented regularly. Laptops aren't so good on speed to begin with. They do every things they can to save power so making sure your USB port doesn't shut off automatically when the unit is running on ac should be tweaked too.

If you have a desktop, I'd definitely get extra internal drives and set one up for recording only.
    You can, of course use, an external drive too. They run the same speed as a thumb drive does which should be fine for backing stuff up. Just do it often enough so you aren't moving massive gigabytes of files and wind up having to wait long periods for them to get moved. USB is pretty unpredictable at times depending on what the CPU is doing. That's why that call it a master slave port. The CPU decides how much resources can be used or not.
    Last edited by WRGKMC; 01-28-2019, 10:45 AM.

Comment

great info - I appreciate you taking the time---I will continue to research as well and see what will work best---to eleven!

Comment

What are you planning on using the external drive for? If it is only for backups, you can use any external USB drive... no need to pay for a SSD; a regular USB HDD will be fine... although if your computer has a USB 3 port, using a USB 3 drive will result in much faster backups.

For production, I’d definitely recommend a fast USB 3 SSD. You can get them pre-made, or make one from a raw drive and aftermarket case, as previously mentioned. When I swapped out my system’s M-SATA boot drive recently, I threw the old m-SATA drive into an external USB 3 case, and it works great.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

thanks for taking the time and responding Phil...I am using it store my recording data as I run the recording software. Basically I want to have the data on one drive and the samples on another. Then all of then I will back up on a separate drive. I have done the old drives from my older computers into cases for backups as well(but they lack the capacity). SSD drives are a bit higher in cost right now and because of less moving parts most say it is a safe bet(but the longevity is still up in the air). I will most likely use an HDD drive with ac power and connect via USB or firewire. Does that sound good? And I am thinking G tech or glyph as a product...thoughts?

Thanks again

Comment

Did I mention I am using a PC?

Comment

Originally posted by groovy13 View Post
              thanks for taking the time and responding Phil...I am using it store my recording data as I run the recording software. Basically I want to have the data on one drive and the samples on another. Then all of then I will back up on a separate drive. I have done the old drives from my older computers into cases for backups as well(but they lack the capacity). SSD drives are a bit higher in cost right now and because of less moving parts most say it is a safe bet(but the longevity is still up in the air). I will most likely use an HDD drive with ac power and connect via USB or firewire. Does that sound good? And I am thinking G tech or glyph as a product...thoughts?
              I think you should be fine as long as you stick to USB 3 for the recording drive if at all possible, although I question the need for a G Tech or Glyph drive specifically. I've owned Glyph's and they were good drives, but they didn't seem to last any longer than the typical name brand (Seagate, WD, etc. etc.) hard disk drives, so I really don't see a good reason to pay a premium for them.

If you have USB 3, use that... and if not, then use whatever the fastest interface available is for connecting the recording drive. If the fastest thing you have is Firewire (which is getting pretty old, and drives can be harder to find...), hopefully it's Firewire 800 since it's faster... but even Firewire 400 or USB 2 might be sufficient for you if you don't have a lot of other stuff on the same USB / Firewire hub and you don't use gobs of tracks on your projects.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
              - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Nothing to add except drive pron:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13928...0-mbs-from-799
                Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by 1001gear View Post
                  Wow that’s fast!

- George Carlin

Comment

I can't wait for this stuff to filter down. As it is you barely come across thunderbolt anything.
                    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Working...
                    X