No announcement yet.

Spookey sounds from Space.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spookey sounds from Space.

Need some out of this world audio samples, here's the real thing. Some of these are pretty amazing. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...usaolp00001382
    Last edited by WRGKMC; 04-13-2018, 02:23 PM.

Are those the actual traces or transposed or interpreted by oscillators ?
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by 1001gear View Post
      Are those the actual traces or transposed or interpreted by oscillators ?
      I think what they're doing is taking data that is in a much different frequency range (radio wave) and converting that to audio. Kind of like playing a 45 at 33 1/3, but on a much bigger scale...

Here's a direct link to the Soundcloud page - there's a ton of cool sounding stuff there.

https://soundcloud.com/nasa/sets/spookyspacesounds

I'd love to read more about how NASA made those.

What I think I noticed first was the amount of "space" that a lot of those sounds have... Yeah, I know - but they do!

I didn't think that all of them sound "spooky" though. I could see some of those sounds working for Halloween, but I also think there's a ton of potential sci-fi sound effects and pads in there too. Sound not being able to travel in the actual vacuum of space issues aside, I think it would actually be kind of cool to hear sounds in space and sci-fi movies that actually came from space.

I enjoyed listening to those - thanks for posting them WRGKMC!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
      - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
      - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I saw some show on the NASA channel where they recorded some sounds with an open radio receiver on the back side of the Moon and claimed it couldn't have been coming from the earth.

I was educated in radio designs and oscillators are used to generate carrier waves and the signals piggyback on those carrier waves. Digital radios don't work that much differently then analog radios. Radio astronomy is just that, study of the heavens using magnetic waves to discover patterns which can be heard.

There is a process for converting digital data to audio called data sonification. The first example of it was the Geiger counter which converted the radiation emissions to a static type white noise. The old dial up and fax modems made digital data audible. They would start out with audible communication codes which could be understood over a phone line. Once the connection was established the actual data just wound up being white noise to the ears.

It wouldn't make allot of sense to take higher frequencies like light or radiation, convert them to digital then to audio unless there is some kind of regular pattern occurring that could be recognized by the ears. Most light and radiation is fairly random like that static from a Geiger counter. Slowing it down and making it audible wouldn't make it less randomized.

In order to recreate those spacy tones there needs to be some kind of repetitive pattern or magnetic wave generation from the source to make any sense to the ears, and not simply a random data flow which forced into a pattern by some algorithm or protocol.
        Last edited by WRGKMC; 04-17-2018, 08:38 AM.

Comment

I was kinda wondering that. Lot of it sounds like what I imagine electronic surveillance would sound like and could those sounds be the sound of the machinery of the universe?

Comment

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
            I saw some show on the NASA channel where they recorded some sounds with an open radio receiver on the back side of the Moon and claimed it couldn't have been coming from the earth.
            That's not just possible, it's very likely. The universe is full of powerful radio sources - they don't all come from the earth. However, that doesn't mean they are being generated by intelligent beings. Even on earth there are sources that generate radio waves that are not man-made, such as lightning strikes.

In order to recreate those spacy tones there needs to be some kind of repetitive pattern or magnetic wave generation from the source to make any sense to the ears, and not simply a random data flow which forced into a pattern by some algorithm or protocol.
            That's very true... if it's random, you just get noise (some of which is definitely audible in those audio files) - in fact, a small part of the static you hear or see when you tune an analog radio or TV "in between" stations is a result of the cosmic background radiation that resulted from the Big Bang. But again, there are a lot of radio wave sources in the universe - the sun (and other stars), Jupiter, pulsars, quasars, neutron stars, ionized hydrogen gas clouds, AGN's and radio galaxies like Messier 87, etc. - and they're not all just generating random noise. If they were, then radio astronomy would be far less useful and precise than it is.

Originally posted by 1001gear View Post
            I was kinda wondering that. Lot of it sounds like what I imagine electronic surveillance would sound like and could those sounds be the sound of the machinery of the universe?
            In a way - yes. According to string theory, everything in the universe is made, at the fundamental level, of vibrating "strings" - everything has a resonant frequency, and everything is vibrational in nature. But even if we set that aside and consider it only through the standard model of physics, that's still what we're "hearing" in those audio files - the various aspects of the universe at work.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
            - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I'll go with machine then. Here's next step from the monkey end.

https://thenextweb.com/artificial-in...han-you-think/

Comment

Man, the universe is loud!

Comment

eh, I can do better with a soft synth. Interesting when you think how far away the source is though.
                  Last edited by bill5; 08-10-2018, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X