Rode NTK: Fatal Damage?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rode NTK: Fatal Damage?

Hi,

I'm way out of my depth with this mic and I was hoping that someone here might be able to advise me. I bought a Rode NTK on eBay six months ago. I've got around to using it today and I've realised that it really isn't in the best state. There were a few screws missing but the distressing thing is that I noticed something moving around in the head of the mic. When I got it open there was what looks like a piece of foam that has broken off the top of the mic in there, as in the attached photo.

Now I'm troubleshooting, I'm having to push the gain up really high and as a result getting an impractical level of noise. It could be any part of the set-up, but I'm worried about the mic. Could this be the issue? I don't think I have any recourse since I bought it so long ago on eBay, but it would be good to know.

Thank you very much for your help.

James
    Last edited by James_F; 08-02-2017, 09:00 PM.

The foam isn't a big deal. It can be glued back.

As far as output goes, are you using the dedicated power supply designed to power this mic?

Second have you checked to see if there is a 6922 tube in there?

The tube requires a higher current level then most phantom supplies provide. If you are missing the supply, getting a new one requires providing a serial number to Rhode, reason being is they check that serial number to see if the mics been stolen. People don't normally sell a mic without its power supply and this is similar to what Neumann does to protect owners.

If you do have the power supply then you need to check its output levels and/or try a new cable. If none of that helps you should contact Rhode. Maybe you'll get lucky and there's some fuse on the board that blew. If not you'll probably need to send the mic and its power supply in for repair. The fact the mic was opened before suggests its already had had issues.

Comment

Originally posted by WRGKMC View Post
      The foam isn't a big deal. It can be glued back.

As far as output goes, are you using the dedicated power supply designed to power this mic?
      Considering there's a multi-pin output on the mic that's incompatible with an XLR cable, it's pretty certain he's using the power supply brick with the mic.

You're probably closer in terms of the tube - it's the most likely culprit. I'd suggest replacing that with a known good 6922 and start from there. Chances are excellent it will fix the low output issue, but if it doesn't, there's not all that much to a tube mic - it should be possible to repair it.

As far as the foam, I'd have to open my NTK up to be sure, but IIRC, it sits between the top of the capsule and the headbasket. It shouldn't have any effect on the output level of the mic - it's just there to prevent unwanted vibrations of the capsule frame.

If the OP isn't comfortable working on mics, I'd definitely recommend calling up Rode and asking them what his repair options are.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
      - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
      - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Here's a link to a picture of a partially disassembled NTK showing where that white foam piece normally goes. As WRGKMC said, you can just re-glue it (silicone adhesive would be my recommendation), but be very careful not to touch or get anything on the gold parts of that diaphragm!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/274367802279617727/

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• WRGKMC
          WRGKMC commented
          Editing a comment
          Hot glue might be best. Its commonly used in electronics and its sets as soon as it cools.
      Working...
      X