Quality Sound From GoPro?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality Sound From GoPro?

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question but since many of you have a diverse skill set that often encompasses video, I thought I'd try my chances here....

In summary - I'm looking to record some practice sessions with two or three GoPro cameras, so that I can review my performances (solo acoustic guitar and my voice).

Does anyone have any experience in doing this and if so, would you be willing to share your thoughts/experiences?

I'm new to video and from what I can gather, while the video from the GoPro's is HD, the sound is not so great. With that in mind, I have a selection of nice mics that are available to me, and I'd prefer to use those mics over a basic, clip-on lavalier or ball mic.... yet still keep the setup fairly mobile, as I'll be doing all this in a rehearsal space and not a controlled environment like a studio.

That leads me to:

1) Can anyone recommend an alternative mic setup?
    2) Can I run a large diaphragm condenser into a GoPro without running phantom power?
    3) I have seen XLR to USB connectors available, but would such a connector work for my application or is there a better alternative?
    4) When it comes to pulling it all together in an editing suite, how can I sync the videos together? Is SMPTE time code still being used these days or is there another industry standard that is preferred?

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks.

www.stephensanderson.com

Originally posted by Quarterwave View Post

1) Can anyone recommend an alternative mic setup?
    There are many Go Pro Cameras. I need to know the exact model you're dealing with/

2) Can I run a large diaphragm condenser into a GoPro without running phantom power?
    No

3) I have seen XLR to USB connectors available, but would such a connector work for my application or is there a better alternative?
    No it wont work.

4) When it comes to pulling it all together in an editing suite, how can I sync the videos together? Is SMPTE time code still being used these days or is there another industry standard that is preferred?
    The stuff they use today is based on hand held devices. You can stream video data from cell phones, lap tops etc and record multiple screens that way. There are many free and paid conferencing and web cam apps for doing that like this one. http://www.vizzywig.com/ All devices must be on the same Wi-Fi network for these programs to work

What you seem to be wanting to do involves a video switcher/mixer and record multi channels. You have to use professional gear which can have they're clocks synced in order to do that.

They make software solutions for recording multiple web cams. You are able to record them all at once and switch between them on playback. I haven't tried it so I cant tell you how well it might work with music. This site has an example of this. https://www.panopto.com/features/vid...deo-recording/

If you simply have a narrator speaking, there's no musical tempo involved, and no critical need to having all the cams running in sync. The video quality of a can sucks too. The hands of a musician would glitch as hell unless you have high resolution digital streaming being recorded. That's tough enough to do with a single camera. I'd think you need a piece of hardware specifically designed to capture multi feeds and then stream it to the computer at a slowed rate. You see that kind of stuff on Newscasts all the time when speaking to remote interviewees. There's a time delay between the two locations and when they talk to each other. That's because the video is being compressed, buffered and streamed. You're talking about broadcast companies using state of the art gear too.

This guy shows you how to use multiple cameras and sync the videos after they have been recorded.

Comment

If you want to record multi cameras the cameras need to be pro quality and have the ability to link to a hardware controller.

Comment

Something like this V-1HD lets you edit multiple HDMI sources devices. This is a digital version of what used to be used editing older video technologies like Beta and VHS.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great replies. You've all given me a lot to review. I appreciate you all sharing the knowledge!
          www.stephensanderson.com

Comment

Working...
          X