No announcement yet.

lessen cpu load plugs

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lessen cpu load plugs

What device to run plugins through to lessen cpu load?
    Last edited by daddymack; 03-09-2017, 06:43 PM. Reason: fixed spelling so the question makes some sense...

Reaper is a great host - try it before you look for hardware solutions.

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php
    Every worm, every insect, every animal is working
    for the ecological wellbeing of the planet.

Only we humans, who claim to be the most intelligent
    species here, are not doing that. ~Sadhguru

Comment

Reaper is supposed to be one of the best DAW's for minimal CPU load.

I've used Cakewalk products for the most part since I went digital. Its a real CPU pig. Even on my new Quad core Workstation running 64 bit its still sucks for the number and kind of plugins you can run. Its not a huge issue for me because I've been recording long enough to get good tones when tracking so I don't have the need to run so many plugins. In the few occasions I need more I can always process effects into tracks allowing me to remove the plugin.

I also use hardware based guitar and bass preamps so I'm tracking with the tones I need so there's no need for plugins. Those techniques date back a good 50 years for me when everything was analog tape and hardware effects were minimal due to cost. You used them where they were needed the most.

The reason I don't like using allot of plugins is first and foremost, what it does to destroy the quality of the tracks. Its like when I used to bounce tracks, they never sounded as good as the first generation. Every time you pass the data through another plugin an algorithm is performed and bits of data are lost. If it were only the bad bits being lost, it wouldn't be so bad, but since any changes involve good and bad data loss, the degeneration affects the details that make the track sound transparent first.

In many ways its like down sampling a photograph. Most are familiar with High definition television these days. When you compare an older CRT screen to one you can make out the image and colors but its not nearly as realistic looking because it lacks the sharp edges higher pixel counts have. Same thing happens with audio as you process the same instrument, over and over with multiple plugs. The aural image looses it three dimensionality.

Even when I do need to use multiple plugins, I often choose one that does more then one task so its a single math computation vs several in a row.

Preservation of data is the key to good digital recordings. By the time you've mixed down, mastered, down sampled, dithered then upload a song to a You Tube or MP3 format there's very little left of those original pristine tracks and you'll still have something left worth listening to besides a lossy mess of noise that sounds like a Low fidelity AM radio station.

Comment

Working...
      X