Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything similar to the Tascam US-1200?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything similar to the Tascam US-1200?

I was all set to pull the trigger on a Tascam US-1200, but it looks like you can't get them any more. Is there a suitable replacement for it? That is, something at about the same price point, and with at least 3 - preferably 4 - inputs (I want to use it to mic drums).

Yes they make a 2, 4 and 16 channel models. the 4 channel is actually more expensive then the 6 channel 1200. You can still find a few 1200's around being sold new if you dig a bit. I bought one new over a year ago when MF was having a sale. I bought a second one used which works like new a few months ago.

Comment

Hmmm...looks like when they discontinued the 1200 and introduced the 4x4, they eliminated two inputs and raised the price a hundred bucks. I'm hoping I can still find a 1200.

Comment

Here's a new one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TASCAM-US-12...AAAOSwr~lYnk65
        The price is nearly double what I paid however. I'd check EBay on a regular basis. They pop up there all the time. Just wait for the best price and condition and be ready to buy.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, WRGKMC. I just ordered one last night that I'd found, for 150 bucks. I just found out this morning about the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, which is only a hundred bucks - if I'd known about that I might have gone that route.

Comment

Your welcome.

You still made out better on the Tascam. I own allot of Behringer products and they get they're cost savings using cheap components. The pots especially are bottom feeder. They work OK for a year of so then they get real loose and unreliable. Cleaning only makes them worse. I have one of they're 12 channel mixers. Good options and all, sounds pretty good but I started having problems with the first two channel sliders within a year.
            I have a preamp thats still works and sounds good for the price I paid. They're quality is just very inconsistent.

The Tascam has all high quality components and its an all metal chassis and metal grounds out external noise. The Behringer has a plastic box, and if its like other units its super lightweight. You have to use two hands just to plug and unplug your cords because it moves around so easy. That's not a functional issue I know, but for me its the difference between being able to mount the unit in a professional rack and having it look and work well.

There one other item the Tascam has going for it. Its drivers provide some DSP effects which can come in handy when recording. Its got a Compressor, Noise suppressor, DeEsser, Exciter and EQ which can be used in real time when tracking. It only allows you to use one at a time but its still a handy tool which will help you tweak a mic up for the best sound tracking. I've used the EQ or Comp a few times to get better tone out of my Ribbon mics when dubbing in vocal parts. It seems to work fairly well by the results I got. No noticeable latency issues like you'd get trying to use VST plugins in real time.

If anything I wish the unit had dual mic/line level inputs. Its got two instrument/line level inputs which work fine. I track my guitar direct using stereo effects. I often use a stereo drum machine when tracking however. I bought one of these for $15 and it did the trick. https://www.adorama.com/pypdc22.html...Fcm2wAodhMcCzA It converts line level to mic level. I hear no difference in sound quality at all between the units line level inputs or using the mic inputs with the box for line level which I thought would occur.

The DI works in both directions to so if you ever needed to use 6 mics you can run a mics into the box and use the two Instrument inputs for mics.
            Last edited by WRGKMC; 03-10-2017, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Good info...thanks. Yeah, some people are saying that the high end Behringer stuff is good...the low, not so good.

Comment

I know you already bought one, but Tascam does have something in their current product lineup in the affordable multi-channel USB interface category - the US-16x08, which streets for $299, and comes with sixteen inputs, eight mic preamps, eight output channels and onboard DSP.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US16x08

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

The 16x08 looks interesting. The 1200 should suit my needs for now though. I hooked it up last weekend, and added a cheap kick drum mic to the 2-mic setup I had been using...it's sounding pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickmeister View Post
                    The 16x08 looks interesting. The 1200 should suit my needs for now though. I hooked it up last weekend, and added a cheap kick drum mic to the 2-mic setup I had been using...it's sounding pretty good.
                    IMHO, having less than four inputs for tracking drums is no fun at all. With the new interface, you should have plenty of channels... now it's time to get the mic collection built up...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                    X