No announcement yet.

New Mixer has no Insert Points

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mixer has no Insert Points

I've always used Yamaha MG series mixers. I just bought a Yamaha MG12XU. But I just noticed it had no insert jacks like my earlier MG mixers had.

Now I have several pretty good outboard hardware processors but I don't know how to use them with this mixer. For example JoeMeek and FMR compressors. They work great with insert points. But they are always short of juice as Aux's.

Do I need a different mixer? Or is there a way I can still use my boxes with this mixer?

Thanks. I'm a real amateur on questions like this.

Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 02-06-2017, 10:32 PM.
    He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

You could use the monitor send, Buss group or aux sends then return them back to the board through a channel. The device wouldn't be in series with the channel, it would be running in parallel to that channel.

Other then putting the effects before the channel, this mixer simply doesn't accommodate what you want to do. This is why its important you need to read the manual on gear you purchase. It saves you from having surprises like this.

Comment

Yeah. Thanks. I 've owned 3 MG series mixers. They all had insert points. I wrongly assumed this one would have them too.

Comment

They likely did it to produce a less expensive model.
        Inserts are for hardware and most people into digital recording don't need hardware inserts because they are doing everything digitally. In fact most don't even use a mixer because its a redundant piece of gear. Interfaces have high quality preamps and there's no reason to color the sound prior to it being recorded when you can simply do that later mixing. of course if you record analog then a mixer or two way console is still essential.

Have you thought about this. With the right interface you can loop your hardware effects there. Many DAW programs let you patch the effects in through the virtual mixer and its the same as doing it with a hardware. You simply need an interface with multiple outs and then you assign the different outs to the different pieces of hardware. Then you return the effects to separate input channels. Many 8 channel interfaces have 8 in 8 out for doing this.

I could do it easily with my 24 channel setup and have before but to be honest, the effort involved in getting the best results no longer outdo the plugins I have. I have a couple of 24 but effects units that are high quality and super quiet but nothing I cant replicate using plugins. The few I do use are mostly for guitar and bass which I do use as front ends for tracking. They can do everything a mixer does for those instruments add more. Effects are integrated and they even have effects loops and midi control.

Comment

I might be able to do that with Auria on my iPad and this Yamaha mixer's USB interface.

Thanks. I'll try it.

Comment

Found this on page 41 in the manual.
            Direct Outputs (Pro Only)
            Added in Auria Pro 2.01, individual tracks can have their pre-fader output routed directly to an externally connected audio hardware’s output. This is useful whenever an individual track needs any form of external processing, like implementing a hardware compressor or EQ. It can also be used to allow mixing tracks for Auria Pro in an external mixer, i.e. mixing "outside the box".
            Enabling a track’s direct output can be done either from the individual track’s Output Selector or via the Output Matrix. Both mono and stereo tracks can use direct outs, though of course a stereo track requires two hardware output channels versus a mono track’s single output.
            How well this will work depends on your interface. If you have a stereo interface you can hard pan the channel say left, play that track out through the left channel, feed a hardware effect, then return the effect to a right channel of the interface. It would only be mono and you have to keep the channels hard panned left and right to avoid creating a feedback loop.

With an interface that has multiple outputs (say 4) you can run your monitors in stereo on two outs, run your effects in stereo off the other two and have them return to the interface.

The software simply lets you send and return from an aux buss instead of a second mains channel and normal channel return.
            You can do either but it can change your gain staging when running back into a normal channel so watch your meters.

Comment

It's meant for live sound using the onboard effects. It will never be a good tool for recording. Better to return it and wait until you can buy something with direct channel outputs (you don't need inserts).

Comment

Originally posted by Zooey View Post
                It's meant for live sound using the onboard effects. It will never be a good tool for recording. Better to return it and wait until you can buy something with direct channel outputs (you don't need inserts).
                I use a Yamaha MG series mixer for both live and recording work. The fact that it is a good sounding unit with a low noise floor makes it a good tool for both.
                Every worm, every insect, every animal is working
                for the ecological wellbeing of the planet.

Only we humans, who claim to be the most intelligent
                species here, are not doing that. ~Sadhguru

Comment

Auria's upgrade path to pro is fraught with bug issues -- Etienne, if you've not done it yet read the forum posts from the Auria staff thoroughly.

Wondering what made you purchase this mixer if you were happy with the others?
                  https://soundcloud.com/danhedonia

Comment

Originally posted by Danhedonia View Post
                    Auria's upgrade path to pro is fraught with bug issues -- Etienne, if you've not done it yet read the forum posts from the Auria staff thoroughly.

Wondering what made you purchase this mixer if you were happy with the others?

Yeah, I used Auria and the forum a lot when I lived overseas. I haven't used either for almost a year now.

It's a great app. I recorded quite a lot with it. Its mixer-style interface makes it more intuitive than a lot of DAW's.
                    Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 03-03-2017, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post

I use a Yamaha MG series mixers for both live and recording work. The fact that it is a good sounding unit with a low noise floor makes it a good tool for both.
                      I've always found them to be good enough mixer for both. The new MG's have been redesigned. Now they have USB interfaces, and are smaller and lighter. There is a plasticky feel to them. Plastic has largely replaced metal.

They're mostly easier to use But there is still the annoying Yamaha nerdy counter-intuitive hang-up here and there.

Even so, I won't be returning this mixer as long as it works.
                      I'll just learn to live w/o inserts.
                      Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 03-03-2017, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X