Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone here uses a "special box" when recording?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here uses a "special box" when recording?

I came across the DBX 510 Subharmonic Synth. I thought the product was interesting. Does anyone here use any one of these "special box" in the studio?

Read the info. regarding the DBX 510:

http://dbxpro.com/en-US/products/510

Is it a "direct box" of sort?

https://www.rakuten.com/r/CHICHI1336...edium=raf_link

I've used a dbx Subharmonic synth unit before, but it was a full rack unit, not the new 500 series module. No, it's not a direct box - think of it as somewhat similar in idea to an Aphex Aural Exciter with Big Bottom, but without the high frequency exciter - it's adding a subharmonic below the fundamental frequency, which gives you a lot of extra low end beef and weight. They used to be fairly popular for dance music, and I suspect the urban music crowd would like them too.

If you want the bottom end to thump and bump BIG, a subharmonic synth is a great tool to help you get there.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• samal50
      samal50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Is it used while tracking or post recording? Do I run each instrumental track through it (synth, bass, drums, etc. maybe vocals as well?) or only the ones I want to thump and bump like the drums and the bass? I guess for the whole song to thump and bump, is it best to just run the entire finished song through it?

_'ve used hardware of various because I used to run all analog tape recorders back in the day. Nothing two fancy. I had 2, 4 and 8 track recorders only. By the time I could afford to go bigger ADats were out and things were trending digital so it didn't make any sense to pursue analog when I knew what was coming. I didn't even bother with Stand alone recorders because I saw computers would take their place.

Once I went digital the changeover was easy. The 8 channel Interface cards substituted the 8 track tape decks and I incorporated most of my analog hardware to digital recording. I eventually dumped using a mixer too because its simply a redundant piece or gear the interface preamps replace.

I use hardware mostly for recording guitar, bass and some vocals. I have some units I tried to incorporate like High and Low Frequency exciters, BBE, others but after a good deal of experimentation I was unable to produce results that impressed me. I do allot of direct recording through guitar preamps and effects, but other then that I do most of those other kinds off touchups in the box using plugins.

When you use external effects to record you have to have the perfect amount of those effects dialed up. Too much you botch the mix and you cant undo it and start over without retracking the entire part. if you record too lean, it like why did you even bother if you cant hear it being used , especially in the final mix after its been properly mixed.

Like I said, I do use them but I have about 50 years experience getting them to do exactly what I want. Even then I mainly focus on essentials that come at the beginning of a chain and can have additional software plugins used after them. If you track with say reverb, you can forget about adding additional gain because its going to gain up and distort the reverb instead of coming before it where the reverb sounds like a room containing a guitarist.

In any case I'm not a fan of the exciter type of plugins, low or high. If you recording lacks bottom end you have bigger issues, often with the instrument choices or drums themselves a box cant fix for you. If you lack bottom end its likely the mix has too much highs and mids. Cut those back and you probably have more lows then you know what to do with. Cutting is always better then boosting, even in digital because EQ boosts causes phase changes that throw notes out of pitch. When you cut the excess instead off boosting what weak you nearly always get better results.
    Last edited by WRGKMC; 09-08-2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Is it used while tracking or post recording?
      You can use it either way, although I tend to save such processing for the mix.

Do I run each instrumental track through it (synth, bass, drums, etc. maybe vocals as well?) or only the ones I want to thump and bump like the drums and the bass?
      I'd recommend reserving it for your low frequency instruments - kick, bass, synth bass, etc.

I guess for the whole song to thump and bump, is it best to just run the entire finished song through it?
      It's a mono processor, so you'll need two if you want to run a whole mix through them... but again, I'd recommend a more individual, targeted approach to its use as opposed to trying to run a whole mix through it. And like all such processing, remember that a little goes a long way.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

I just received my DBX Subharmonic Synth. I'm confused how this is used when it has no input or output, where do I plug anything?

Comment

The one you linked to is a 500-series module. They need to be mounted in a 500-series rack chassis of some sort, and the I/O and power supply for the module is built into the rack.

There are companies that make rack and power units that hold only a few 500 series modules, and they'd be your cheapest way to power and interface with your dbx subharmonic synth module.

- George Carlin

Comment

• samal50
            samal50 commented
            Editing a comment
            Any idea which company started the 500 series? I'm curious because I want to know the reason why it was created (I know you told me in the long run the 500 series modules would cost less). I actually only need a single "lunch box" for now as I don't think I'd be using multiple 500 series modules at once therefore I won't mind a single unit.

I think I found one here but the company doesn't seem to be active as they have been acquired by Harman:

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/...s/juice-rack-1
            Last edited by samal50; 10-07-2016, 01:43 AM.

Great, so now I'm going to have to get another product to make the DBX 510 Subharmonic Synth to work. I'm not sure why it was made this way. Had I known this, I would have just bought the DBX 120A Subharmonic Synth for $199. But oh well, maybe there's something special about the 500 series other than its compact size?

I'm not sure yet if I want to spend another $300 just to power up the DBX 510 Subharmonic Synth. I see the "chassis or lunchbox" as just some type of adapter. Maybe there's more to it or not really? Either way I'll just save up for the chassis.

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
          The one you linked to is a 500-series module. They need to be mounted in a 500-series rack chassis of some sort, and the I/O and power supply for the module is built into the rack.

There are companies that make rack and power units that hold only a few 500 series modules, and they'd be your cheapest way to power and interface with your dbx subharmonic synth module.

Last edited by samal50; 09-21-2016, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by samal50 View Post
            Great, so now I'm going to have to get another product to make the DBX 510 Subharmonic Synth to work. I'm not sure why it was made this way. Had I known this, I would have just bought the DBX 120A Subharmonic Synth for $199. But oh well, maybe there's something special about the 500 series?

500 series units have a lot of advantages, and they've become very popular. Once you have a rack chassis (depending on the size, they're sometimes called "lunchboxes") to hold and power a few of them, you can mix and match modules as the situation demands. For example, if you have a three space rack, you might configure it with three mic preamps for when you're tracking the band, and then when you're done you can pull two of the modules out and put other modules in so it's configured as a vocal channel strip consisting of preamp, EQ and compressor for tracking vocals.

I have a Radial Engineering SixPack for my 500 series rack, and I love it. I highly recommend Radial's gear!

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...khorse-sixpack

Another advantage to 500 series stuff is that next time you buy something, assuming you have space available in your 500 series rack chassis, it will probably cost less than the stand-alone version - after all, 500 series modules lack the onboard power supply and connectors that a stand alone device needs, making them less expensive to build.

- George Carlin

Comment

• samal50
              samal50 commented
              Editing a comment
              Phil,

are you familiar with the Alctron brand, which is a Chinese brand that sells pretty much what U.S. and European brands sell but at a lower price and or "generic price/generic version of existing products" if you will. Alctron is like the Walmart of musical electronic gear. They sell the Alctron S3 500 series 3-space rack chassis for $199 on Ebay. Do these lunch boxes all come with the XLR i/o plus parallel TRS jacks? Is this standard i/o with all lunch boxes or do some come with other types of i/o?

I might be getting just the 3 pack for $349. So all 500 series would be compatible with any "luchboxes" made for any 500 series? I would assume so. I see the point now regarding cost considering the DBX 510 only cost me $135 brand new but the standalone version is $199. Both has the same "brain".

I might be getting a better deal with this lunchbox considering it has 4 slots for only $299:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OST4

Comment

since the 500 series modules are still a new format, I wonder what are some other products in the 500 series worth looking into? I've thought of getting dynamic processors (for post production purposes) but I may already have these in my TC Electronic 96K.

These are the list of currently made and available 500 series modules:

https://www.modulargrid.net/a/module.../direction:ASC

Comment

Working...
              X