No announcement yet.

Museum of Magnetic Sound Recording

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum of Magnetic Sound Recording

This is a cool site trying to preserve the history of magnetic tape recording.
    Has good information about vintage gear.

http://museumofmagneticsoundrecording.org/

You can click of manufacturers here and read about their histories.

http://museumofmagneticsoundrecordin...cturers3M.html

That is a totally awesome site.

I'll still messing around with it.

Up in my attic I have a Tascam 246 that I bought back in like 1983 and a Tascam 488MKII.

These are not mine, but both of mine is in really fine shape.

I think I bought the 488MKII in the mid 90's

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

I had one of these.

And upgraded to one of these. I got allot of use out of them before going digital. I wish I had kept the 4 track because you can sync them to run together. You could also run the 4 track at normal speed which you couldn't do with the 8

Comment

I started out with a Sony open reel machine with sound-on-sound then started borrowing a Teac open reel 4-track and a Tascam 80-8.

I got into cassettes with a Yamaha MT1X...

I upgraded to a Tascam 688 MIDIStudio (8 track cassette with MIDI sync)...

I was just finishing a project on the 688 when I got a job in a studio with a ProTools III TDM rig.
        I transferred the tracks from the 688 to ProTools for editing, mixing and mastering.

The project turned out surprisingly well considering each track was recorded on one eighth of a one eighth inch tape...
        https://app.box.com/s/k0d0f1rp9600tlr5ecg5unq5bpv7bi74
        Last edited by onelife; 09-21-2016, 04:16 PM.
        Every worm, every insect, every animal is working
        for the ecological wellbeing of the planet.

Only we humans, who claim to be the most intelligent
        species here, are not doing that. ~Sadhguru

Comment

In 1968 I got a mini reel to reel like this for Christmas. I had more fun with that thing then you can imagine. As kids we grew up listening to some of my fathers favorite recordings. He had a whole collection of Spike Jones 45's (which I still have) and I was quickly making my own radio jingles, news broadcasts and later guitar recordings.

The only thing I didn't know was you had to clean the heads and the darn tape shed out onto the heads and I couldn't get any sound out of it so I converted it into a mini distorted guitar amp and stuck the mic inside3 an acoustic guitar,.

A month or so later I was walking to a friends house and found another one of these mini recorders in the trash. I was already into tinkering so I took it home and discovered the only thing wrong with it was dirty heads. I then realized I trashed my other recorder for no good reason other then normal maintenance and new tape needed.

I ran that second one for as long as it could run then I started a long chain of mono and two track recorders. Most of them were consumer grade stuff. I even had some of those Sony Recorders you posted there One Life, Had a bunch of those old suitcase recorders and those old Wollensak recorders you had in school. My dad was in the antique business and would buy the entire contents of homes and I'd get all the electronic gear to either use, refurb for resale or part out to make other stuff run. I saw old units from the 50's that had the electric eye for volume levels, all kinds of different technology used and I learned to get the most out of every one. Some of the old tube driven recorders were pretty darn cool. You could drive the mics into saturation and get some really neat things out of them.

Then when I became a tech I'd repair them full time. I used to be on call to do repairs at a number of major commercial and private studios recording studios in the north east. That's were I got to meet a bunch of famous players and see the business from the inside out.

Things slowed down when I got married. I had a Teac 2 track and Pioneer 4 track for doing my own recordings.
          I had an 8 track for awhile but the heads were really beat. I eventually dumped it and bought a 4 track then 8 track cassette which I still have.

By 95 I started doing all my masters directly to a computer and by 85 I was completely digital.

If I had only operated tape machines I probably have more nostalgia for them but I had so many old ones I repaired and kept limping along I have fewer fond memories the bad. What I hated most was the constant winding and rewinding to recue the tape. In digital its instant.

Comment

Working...
          X