Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

do you use a subwoofer with your studio monitors?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you use a subwoofer with your studio monitors?

I've been looking around for one that can work with my Tapco S5 studio monitors. The subwoofer that was sold separately for it that was compatible had been sold out. Tapco ceased in 2011.

I looked around and saw most subwoofers are big so I came across this article that some small ones are as powerful too:

https://www.electronichouse.com/home...ct-subwoofers/
    Last edited by samal50; 08-17-2016, 07:53 AM.
    Earn $25 when one friend makes a purchase. They'll get $10.
    https://www.ebates.com/r/CHICHI1336?eeid=28187

My monitor setup consists of multiple sets of speakers, some passive and some active.
    I do have a set of High end Harmon Hardon computer monitors in with those sets which has a mono sub woofer.

I also built a set of subs, well not exactly subs, I bought a pair of Peavey Blue Marvel full ranged speakers and built a pair of cabs for them.
    I put them under my recording console spaced apart down by my feet. Even though the speakers are full ranged, the cabs produce allot of bass.
    (Previous to that I had a pair of Triaxial Car speakers (until the foam surrounds rotted away) I drive them with a studio reference amp which I can switch to driving two other sets of speakers too, a set of 3 way Hi Fi speakers which I modified with high end drivers and an old set of Dynaco Bookshelf speakers which I keep up higher on a shelf above the console.

The reason I want to feel the subs below the console and not hear them is I don't want the bass heavy sound to influence my mixing which would wind causing just the opposite issue with too little bass. The M-Audio BX5's I use have a great range on them and the bass is just right. if I add more bass to the monitor system by adding bass subs I think there's too much and dial it back mixing where the bass winds up being too thin. The subs I built are full ranged so even when I back away from the console to hear them I still get the mids and highs, but sitting up close I feel the bass in my legs more then I hear them.

I kick them on when I'm tracking bass guitar. I hate using headphones so I use the subs instead of a bass amp. Works amazingly well because I rarely ever have to add EQ to my bass tracks when mixing.

I can also step to the back of the studio and have an entire wall of monitors going and judge the sound from a distance.

Comment

I use a Tannoy subwoofer with my Yamaha MSP5 monitors. The Yamahas only go as low as 50Hz, so a sub is necessary!
      Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

^^^ Not many small near field monitors do go down that low. There's no need to because few playback systems go that low either.
        When you get below 50 HZ or so the power needed to drive speakers increases. When you have a mix containing allot of sub lows the low frequencies reduce the dynamic headroom. A common thing done in recording is to roll off all the subtonics so you can get a louder mix with less distortion. If you leave the sub frequencies there, they will trigger compressors too soon and fail to compress the upper frequencies so you wind up with a crushed bass dynamics and overly dynamic upper bands with large transits. Using a Multiband can help allot with this but too much subsonic and it gets too far out of range even for them.

I usually roll everything off completely below my lowest fundamental notes which is 41 HZ for a low E note on bass. Anything below that just isn't needed and does more harm then good. I do love a strong bass and you'd never know they had the subtonics rolled off.

The only issue using a sub is, you want to be able to turn it off when checking your mix through the near fields. If you cant hear the bass balanced in in the mix just running the near fields, your mix lacks bass.

Turning the sub on to hear the bass better, simply masks the real issue by letting you hear the weak bass frequencies in the mix. Of course having that sub for listening to the mix after its completed is no issue. I set my sub levels to commercial a recording. I can then switch between a mix and the commercial recording and get an A/B comparison of the bass. Getting the bass levels right in a mix and then getting it right in many songs so a CD full of songs doesn't have the bass levels jumping up and down between tracks. Again, having an established listening environment is key here. any random tweaks will have consequences. The key is to have a studio standard then tweak the mix to sound great through the studio standard, not the other way around. End users tweak the playback to suit their needs. Mixing and mastering attempts to use a higher fixed standard get a mix that sounds good on all playback systems, most of which are lower quality.

Comment

I don't know where to start here if anyone can make a suggestion of a used one on Ebay or any of the resellers selling used subwoofers, let me know.

Could any subwoofer work in the recording studio at all or are these for home entertainment:

https://www.electronichouse.com/home...ct-subwoofers/
          Last edited by samal50; 08-30-2016, 06:21 PM.
          Earn $25 when one friend makes a purchase. They'll get $10.
          https://www.ebates.com/r/CHICHI1336?eeid=28187

Comment

Working...
          X