No announcement yet.

Mac Mini for Logic

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac Mini for Logic

Hi there. My 2008, maxed out iMac has gone to the great beyond and I need to come up with a solid but not overly expensive solution. Does anyone use a mac mini with Logic? If so, how is it? Any problems with latency or speed? Worth doing? What modifications (if any) would make for the best use (i7, ssd, etc.)

Thanks,

Caseous

Mac Minis are great for playback. For recording, not so much. You can pick up a used G5 tower with plenty of Intel horsepower, for less than $300. Those machines can still handle pretty much anything you throw at them.
    flip the phase

Comment

First start with the specs logic puts on the software. It should tell you the Minimum Memory and CPU power you need to run the program effectively, then take those numbers and go higher when purchasing a computer. this will alloy you to get the best performance and allow you some additional resources for future upgrades.

This was an issue I had awhile back. I had a computer that barely met the software specs then a couple of years later I had to upgrade the computer and the software because the hardware couldn't handle the newer operating system or the newer DAW software.

Comment

Many people myself included have just switched over to notebooks. You have the power and portability and just use a external monitor and you are good to go. You dont really need all that much horsepower anymore since most units are pretty powerful. I barely stress my macbook pro. That said, you sure you want logic? It to me is more like reason where you are more assembling sampled sounds vs making your own. I think you may want to try a few demos of other products. Peter
        Stupidity in of itself is a fine art.

Comment

Thanks everyone, Peter, what do you use? Why do you prefer it?

Comment

Hey Caseous, I made the switch from dedicated units to software some years ago and now I landed on ProTools because that was what everyone else including our preferred studio for an album we finished there. Used to be that you could get an LE version free which gave you up to 8 tracks which is what most folks really needed. Now I run PT11 but wont be upgrading to 12 because I think that is a scam. You can get a student edition really cheap and its a full blown licensed unit for fairly inexpensive. As for hardware, I think even a dual core macbook would work just fine and you can get these used pretty cheap. Apple is about to release a new model and so I think that you will see some fairly recent models come up in the market as fanboi's buy as soon as they come out which is silly. I use a quad core 2013 model but i dont hammer the cpu even with a lot of tracks. If you get the older model you can mod your own ram and disk. SSD makes a big difference for me but not enough to justify cost. Let me know if you want to know anything else. Oh the Logitech BT keyboard is awesome. Dont waste your money on usb or apple adapters etc. I do have a belkin tb hub as well.
            Stupidity in of itself is a fine art.

Comment

Working...
            X