No announcement yet.

NI Kontakt 5 Glide?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NI Kontakt 5 Glide?

I just bought Vintage Organs library for Kontakt 5 and I'm trying to figure out how to add some portamento (sliding from one note to another in a smooth way). I see there's a glide module in Kontakt but I have no idea how to use it. I'm very new to Kontakt, so I have no idea how to use any modules. I tried the user manual, about a thousand Google searches, and called Native Instruments, to no avail. How do I add portamento to my Vintage Organs? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I tried making a username for the NI forums but they seem to be down right now. If there's a more appropriate forum somewhere for this thread, please direct me.

I'm not up on my virtual instruments. I play some keyboard and do a little midi. I messed with the old native stuff like the B3 organ. If I were to guess what the problem is from your post, I'd think the problem to be something with the way the virtual instrument assigns itself to a midi keyboard. For example one of my keyboards has a pitch bender that can be assigned to specific midi tasks. The others have assignable midi functions that will tell the virtual instrument what and how to do things. I would think its something the hardware has to be capable of doing in order for the software to do it. If its a super basic keyboard, then that feature may not be assignable to the keyboard.

I do suggest you post this in the keyboard forum though. You want to get advice from a keyboard player who knows all about assigning virtual instruments to a keyboard. Most of what I've learned comes from reading manuals and then just poking around in the dark figuring out how things work.

I do own a mini moog that has the ability to do what you're talking about. Its got a setting that adjusts the time it takes for a note to change pitch and lock in to the actual key being pressed. It uses capacitance to bend the notes. The cap takes time to charge and you set how long that cap takes to charge bay varying the capacitance with a slide pot. As the cap charges it varies the pitch from where the last note was and eventually matches the pitch of the key when the cap is fully charged.

In midi this may involve the midi commands from the keyboard. Key velocity and touch sensitivity likely gets mixed and altered by the pitch of the keys and slowly bends them instead of locking in immediately. You would think this is just a software setting that you'd set when playing the keyboard. It may depend on the keyboard type. This page lists the keyboard types the software is designed for. http://www.native-instruments.com/en...pecifications/

It may depend on the daw program being used as well. I found Cubase the easiest to run when it came to midi. Steinberg set many of the VSTI parameters software manufacturers use today. I believe there are new VST and VSTI parameters being used now with newer DAW programs. I'm not sure if the software is backward or forward compatible. Maybe you have an older daw version and the software is designed for a newer version. When run on an older version (or keyboard) it may not have full functionality, or come keyboards cant take advantage of all the software options.

There again, if your hardware, DAW and computer meet all the specs on the page I just posted, it may be just a matter of setting the software for the feature to work. Again, a keyboard player who is really good at setting and running virtual instruments is who you need to seek out.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
    X