No announcement yet.

Using ADAT for A/D converters

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using ADAT for A/D converters

I recently saw someone on Craig's List wanting to buy Adat's to use as A/D converters. He didn't care if the transport mechanism worked - he only wanted it to use as a converter. Excuse my ignorance on this topic, but how would you use an Adat in this way?

Now that I have switched to ProTools I was going to sell my Adats (XT & XT20), but may keep the 20bit one, especially if it has value in another application. Any info would be appreciated.

I recently saw someone on Craig's List wanting to buy Adat's to use as A/D converters. He didn't care if the transport mechanism worked - he only wanted it to use as a converter. Excuse my ignorance on this topic, but how would you use an Adat in this way?

Now that I have switched to ProTools I was going to sell my Adats (XT & XT20), but may keep the 20bit one, especially if it has value in another application. Any info would be appreciated.

I have two LX-20's that I use for converters.

I have a MOTU 2408 MK II Firewire interface with eight analogue I/O and two ADAT I/O.

Simply run eight analogue inputs into your ADAT, connect the lightpipe out to your lightpipe interface in and viola..! You have an additional eight inputs via ADAT.

I rarely need it, but now have 24 simultaneous channel recording ability by using the analogue and two ADAT inputs.. And you can buy a used ADAT for $150 which is a pretty good deal for an ADAT interface.

Granted the converters are only 20 bit...but there was a lot of top selling music done on ADATS for several years..
    Mark
    "Do that again....Open your mouth and make your face disappear"..

Comment

Altho I'm sure there are better ones out there, they work fine. I've done hundreds of projects using the XT20/Motu 2408 setup and no one's complained yet.

MG
      "Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

I use an ADAT xt(16bit) and an ADAT xt20 as converters. They are Significantly better than the converters in my Digi 001. Alot of Major hits were recorded on ADATs in the 90's. For the price and quality its Def. the best way to add 8 channels of digital audio to any setup if your on a budget(*IMO). Just make sure you have an ADAT lightpipe and you should be golden (I think it even has spdif capibilities but not sure)

Comment

I used a pair of ADATs as AD and DA converters from 1996 to sometime in 2000 or 2001. My first HDD based DAW was built around them (using Cakewalk Pro Audio). After one of them died, I even used a Quadraverb2 as AD, since it shared the ADAT lightpipe and buss system.

The main issue, IIRC, was that the ADATs had to be synchronized by the separate BNC cable. But that should be familiar to those with a couple of ADATs.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

I used a pair of ADATs as AD and DA converters from 1996 to sometime in 2000 or 2001. My first HDD based DAW was built around them (using Cakewalk Pro Audio). After one of them died, I even used a Quadraverb2 as AD, since it shared the ADAT lightpipe and buss system.

The main issue, IIRC, was that the ADATs had to be synchronized by the separate BNC cable. But that should be familiar to those with a couple of ADATs.

I don't have a BNC connector on my ADAT's... And I simply use the 2408 as the master clock and everything works quite fine..

Now, when running ADAT tapes, yes, the units had to be in sync with the serial connector sync cable..

But for use as simple converters, I haven't had any sync problems.
            Mark

Comment

Thanks very much for the responses and info - much appreciated!

Since I'm recording on ProTools LE with an original Mbox which doesn't have an Adat/lightpipe connection, I was thinking that I wouldn't be able to use the Adat for A/D conversion. However, I remembered that I bought an Alesis AI -1 about a year ago at a music garage sale for $25. I've never even used it, but it can convert an Adat/lightpipe signal to spdif, which the Mbox can take. So maybe it will work after all. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Thanks very much for the responses and info - much appreciated!

Since I'm recording on ProTools LE with an original Mbox which doesn't have an Adat/lightpipe connection, I was thinking that I wouldn't be able to use the Adat for A/D conversion. However, I remembered that I bought an Alesis AI -1 about a year ago at a music garage sale for $25. I've never even used it, but it can convert an Adat/lightpipe signal to spdif, which the Mbox can take. So maybe it will work after all. Any thoughts on this?

S/PDIF is only two channel. It should work fine if you use it for a two channel interface.
                Mark

Comment

Greetings I have an adat lx20 and a sound card m audio profire 2626 with 16 inputs and outputs lightpipe or optical but I would like to know how to configure the adat towards the audio card in order to use it as digital audio converter. I hope and help me in it if it is feasible or compatible with the interface mentioned above

Comment

The ADAT would use the lightpipe but you need to read both the M-Audio and ADAT manuals to figure out the connection.

My question is why would you even bother using that ADAT. It's only 20bits and has a maximum sample rate of 44.1/48.
                    The M-Audio will record up to 24/192.I can see if its being used to transfer old tapes to the DAW but for every day use but using both at the same time would limits your sample rates to the ADAT

Comment

Working...
                    X