Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

inexpensive headphones for monitoring/mixing?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inexpensive headphones for monitoring/mixing?

I have a low budget home studio and don't have the space or $ for real monitor speakers. Are there any "decent" and inexpensive headphones out there that my satisfy my needs? Mind you, this is a hobby with a low budget. I'd be will to spend $100-150 for a pair of phones that come close to approximating a budget set of monitor speakers.

Any suggestions?
    Life should have a soundtrack.

My Gear:
    '76 Fender Precision Bass
    '04 Lakland Joe Osborn Skyline Bass
    '08 Danelectro '63 Bass
    '08 Fender Standard Telecaster
    Ampeg B-100R '03
    Eden wt 550 '06
    Eden 210 xlt '06
    Eden 112 xlt '07
    Cubase Essential 4
    PreSonus Inspire GT 1394
    Yamaha PSR-E403 keyboard
    Akai LPD8 pad controller
    Shure SM57
    ART tube mic preamp
    cowbell

I Dig:
    Classic and Alternative Rock, '70's Soul and Funk, Motown, Stax, Chicago Blues, ProgRock

I followed the same path you are on and ended up with some good AKG 'phones, sorry, can't remember the model of hand, but I think I only paid $80 or so for them.

They work well, sound great, but the problem is they are still headphones, and they will wear you, your ears and the top of your head out much faster than monitors will.

That's why I'm looking at actual monitors now.

I know Behringer is despised on this board, but check out what you can get in that price range with 2 minutes of looking:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TRUTH-B2031-Active-Monitors?sku=600590V

Comment

I just bought the Ultrasone 650, the $199 version. But you can get them now for $139. They live up to the hype.

Comment

I'm digging the senn. HD280's at the moment. Pretty flat and good isolation for tracking. About $100.00 new.

Comment

Thanks to all for the suggestions. The inexpensive monitors are certainly tempting (How are the Behringer monitors?). So many things to buy...so little money.
          Life should have a soundtrack.

My Gear:
          '76 Fender Precision Bass
          '04 Lakland Joe Osborn Skyline Bass
          '08 Danelectro '63 Bass
          '08 Fender Standard Telecaster
          Ampeg B-100R '03
          Eden wt 550 '06
          Eden 210 xlt '06
          Eden 112 xlt '07
          Cubase Essential 4
          PreSonus Inspire GT 1394
          Yamaha PSR-E403 keyboard
          Akai LPD8 pad controller
          Shure SM57
          ART tube mic preamp
          cowbell

I Dig:
          Classic and Alternative Rock, '70's Soul and Funk, Motown, Stax, Chicago Blues, ProgRock

Comment

I will be getting phones soon, but for now I have the Berhinger passive Truth monitors. I like them. much less expensive than active monitors. I use an old peavey amp to power them.

Comment

Thanks to all for the suggestions. The inexpensive monitors are certainly tempting (How are the Behringer monitors?). So many things to buy...so little money.

I haven't heard the Behringers, or any "real" monitors in a long time, but in one of the other threads around here people were saying they are decent, but color the low end a little too much.

But at half the cost of a more "flat" monitor..... for me, the budget makes the decisions instead of my ears, sometimes.

Comment

I followed the same path you are on and ended up with some good AKG 'phones, sorry, can't remember the model of hand, but I think I only paid $80 or so for them.

They work well, sound great, but the problem is they are still headphones, and they will wear you, your ears and the top of your head out much faster than monitors will.

That's why I'm looking at actual monitors now.

I know Behringer is despised on this board, but check out what you can get in that price range with 2 minutes of looking:
                http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TRUTH-B2031-Active-Monitors?sku=600590V

I totally agree with HeavyMetalNinja- In my home studio, all we use are AKG Headphones for recording- they are great and really inexpensive! Which make it even sweeter!
                I've Been To The Edge and There I Stood and Looked Down...

Comment

Working...
                X