Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardware compressor is a necessity isn't it?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware compressor is a necessity isn't it?

For screaming hard rock vocals? It is necessary to limit them before they hit the digital interface isn't it if using a Digi003 or other PTLE/comparable interfaces? Software alone isn't enough is it? I haven't tried software alone, but I would think some limiting is necessary before the signal hits the interface's preamp, right? I'm asking because of the threads suggesting compressor plug-ins instead of rack-mounted compressors.

Its not a necessity if you set the gains right to begin with

With 24 bit recording, 0dB is actually around -18dBFS, so set the trim so the average level is peaking at around -18dBFS. This leaves 18dB of headroom for when he really lets rip.

After this, plugin compressors can be used to control the dynamics.

Comment

They're fine for "demos"... wouldn't even consider them for actual product... the previous poster made a good point... don't slam your levels into the recorder.

To quote Terry Manning... "yellow is the new red".

Peace.
      CN Fletcher

Professional affiliations:

R/E/P -- professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums... serious hobbyists welcome

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
      We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." -A. Whitney Brown

Comment

I agree with Fletcher and Stevie. Proper gain staging is more important than what compressor you're using.
        Cleanup on aisle YOU!!!

Ocean 5 string
        Boss GT6B
        Crown XLS402
        Genz Benz 212 NeoX

Comment

I think its going to depend on the talent of the singer and the recording situation. In a recording enviornment where the singer is doing a vocal track with headphones, a studio mike, and someone to monitor levels, I would say you dont want anything but a direct like to the recording interface or preamp. In a live enviornment, A gated limiter or compressor would be nessasary to prevent bleedover and maintain mike gain level.

Comment

In a live enviornment, A gated limiter or compressor would be nessasary to prevent bleedover and maintain mike gain level.

I take it you're talking about live, as in recording a band playing at one time. If so, an iso booth is your best bet, or overdub vocals and use the original one as a scratch track and redo everything.

If you mean live, as in on stage, never gate the vocal, you will cut the starts and tails and it will sound crap. You just have to live with it or get a more directional mic and a stronger singer.

Comment

In a live enviornment, A gated limiter or compressor would be nessasary to prevent bleedover and maintain mike gain level.

Comment

Working...
              X