No announcement yet.

free software for mac?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free software for mac?

can someone recommend me some free software like fl studio where you can play instruments with your keyboard for mac

Garageband? If you have a mac, you probably already have it. (Provided it's reasonably new.)
    Cleanup on aisle YOU!!!

Ocean 5 string
    Boss GT6B
    Crown XLS402
    Genz Benz 212 NeoX

Comment

yeah i have garage band but to play the software instruments you have to use the mouse to click on a tiny keyboard it sucks im looking for something that lets me use my keyboard

Comment

im mostly looking for programmable drums

Comment

GarageBand will see any keyboard, provided you have a MIDI interface (or the keyboard itself has one built in). Just like any other DAW.

The only real limitation of GarageBand is its inability to send note data back out to external synths and sound modules. This was undoubtedly to make it easier to use.

But it records 8 tracks at a time, has automation, supports 24-bit tracking, has notation, has programmable drums, opens AU plugins... It's a powerful little app.

And if for whatever reason you outgrow it, songs you make in GarageBand can be opened within Logic Express or Logic Pro.

Interestingly enough, quite a few big indie records have been recorded in GarageBand.

Comment

I use my Yamaha PSR-270 with it just fine (using a UX-16 Yamaha midi interface). also using the LINE OUT on the KB into the LINE IN on my Mac I can use the built-in voices on the Yamaha too. Logic Studio 8 has the most Amazing sounds though...
            I tell them young boys all the time "There's 2 things you really need to be a "bluesman" - Percodan and Whiskey"

Comment

yeah i have garage band but to play the software instruments you have to use the mouse to click on a tiny keyboard it sucks im looking for something that lets me use my keyboard

You don't mean your QWERTY keyboard, do you? I didn't know any software would let you do that. Seems kind of pointless considering how cheap MIDI controllers are these days. Garageband will let you use a MIDI keyboard.
              Cleanup on aisle YOU!!!

Ocean 5 string
              Boss GT6B
              Crown XLS402
              Genz Benz 212 NeoX

Comment

GarageBand and Logic both let you use the QWERTY keyboard as a music keyboard. In Logic, you activate with the caps lock. I forgot what it is in GarageBand, but it is in the menu and not hard to find. Obviously, the QWERTY keyboard is not sensitive, but if you're in a coffee house or on an airplane, it's better than nothing.

Comment

GarageBand will see any keyboard, provided you have a MIDI interface (or the keyboard itself has one built in). Just like any other DAW.

The only real limitation of GarageBand is its inability to send note data back out to external synths and sound modules. This was undoubtedly to make it easier to use.

But it records 8 tracks at a time, has automation, supports 24-bit tracking, has notation, has programmable drums, opens AU plugins... It's a powerful little app.

And if for whatever reason you outgrow it, songs you make in GarageBand can be opened within Logic Express or Logic Pro.

Interestingly enough, quite a few big indie records have been recorded in GarageBand.

I'm a fan of GB for newbs, too... but I have to wonder, just what big indie records were recorded in it?

[I'm aware of Ry Cooder's "iTunes mastered" album, which he insisted be mastered using the iTunes "Enhancer" after he realized he'd burned a test copy with the Enhancer by accident and was disappointed whenever he heard the tracks without it. But, great as his music is, I have to say that some of the latest Ry Cooder stuff has some really questionable sonic choices.]

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

i guess i need to get a midi keyboard how much are they

Comment

I think you can get them for as low as $60 new.
                      www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

Working...
                      X