Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this laptop need an extra GB of RAM to record with?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this laptop need an extra GB of RAM to record with?

Sony Vaio

It's cheap, and looks pretty good spec-wise. I'm thinking about picking one up to use for recording and MIDI instruments and effects.

My only concern is the RAM. Will I need to add another GB of RAM right out of the box to make it work for recording and MIDI applications, or should it be good to go once I get any start-up bloatware out?
    www.noisemakereffects.com

Boutique, hand-built pedals and amplifiers!

Noisemaker Effects
    Twitter||Facebook

No it's not necessary. Nice? Hell yeah and I would say if you can do the ram upgrade do it because it's one of the biggest improvements you can do aside from CPU speed.
    www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

No it's not necessary. Nice? Hell yeah and I would say if you can do the ram upgrade do it because it's one of the biggest improvements you can do aside from CPU speed.

Oh - don't get me wrong. I'd eventually try to get 3GB into it. I just don't want to have to upgrade it right out of the box. Plus, dropping $450 on a computer, I don't really want to spend another $100 or so on RAM right away...

Noisemaker Effects
      Twitter||Facebook

Comment

You always need an extra gig of RAM
        Cleanup on aisle YOU!!!

Ocean 5 string
        Boss GT6B
        Crown XLS402
        Genz Benz 212 NeoX

Comment

If you're going to want to use more than a couple of parts of virtual instruments, you'll probably need another gig of RAM in my experience.

Comment

You can't get 3GB into it, it only can do 2GB max.

Oh. I didn't see that. What exactly limits it? Couldn't I theoretically have two 2GB cards in it?

Noisemaker Effects
            Twitter||Facebook

Comment

No. 2GB, in whatever combination of RAM, is this particular machine's limit. It is not designed for more.

What causes the limit? Will I be hindering myself by getting a machine that can only have a maximum of 2GB?

Noisemaker Effects
              Twitter||Facebook

Comment

What causes the limit? Will I be hindering myself by getting a machine that can only have a maximum of 2GB?

The motherboard/BIOS is only designed to recognize 2 gigs. Anymore than that and you risk damage to the machine.

You won't be hindering yourself at all. 2 gigs max is pretty common for laptops.
                Cleanup on aisle YOU!!!

Ocean 5 string
                Boss GT6B
                Crown XLS402
                Genz Benz 212 NeoX

Comment

The motherboard/BIOS is only designed to recognize 2 gigs. Anymore than that and you risk damage to the machine.

You won't be hindering yourself at all. 2 gigs max is pretty common for laptops.

Ok, cool.

I think I'll probably go for it then.

So 2GB will be plenty for recording and MIDI instruments along with Vista?

Noisemaker Effects
                  Twitter||Facebook

Comment

vista can be a crapshoot, but yes, you'll do just fine with 2gb's, thats what i have on my desktop and i run several midi instruments at a time quite easily
                    www.myspace.com/ericwstrobel

Comment

Ok, cool.

I think I'll probably go for it then.

I have XP. 1 GB and my laptop would usually crash with a couple of virtual instruments. Now I have 2 GB and I've run all the virtual instruments I've wanted plus a million other plug-ins at the same time and I've had no problems.

Comment

I'm currently running with only 2gigs of ram, and things are fine.
                        It also depends on what bit rate your recording the samples at. If I do projects at 96k/24bit, adding realtime plugins like Amplitube, reverbs etc will take a toll after a couple tracks. Recording at 44 or 48k, my system doesn't even come close to stalling with a billion plugins running.

If your using virtual instruments, stick with a lower rate (normal rate actually) and you'll be fine. Anything higher will really require a quad or oct core processor or seperate DSP processing cards.
                        vBulletin4Life
                        Local Business Owner and Cat Enthusiast

Comment

Working...
                        X