Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Studio Monitors should i buy?

Hey Guys,
    Am new to this part of the HC forum.

Just wanting to know whether you knowledgeable folk could recommend some studio monitors to me.
    I would use them purely to record my own music.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Milhouse: Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?

bump
    Milhouse: Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?

Comment

Speakers or eyeballs? Budget?

Comment

yes, how much? I'll go out on that limb and say most POWERED MONITORS above 300 or 400 bucks should work ok. I prefer the $500 - 1000 range. If you have extra $ Genelecs are respected at $8000 - 10,000.

An important aspect is to LEARN the feel of your choice and LISTEN to them a lot. People buy Adam's, Event, JBL, Mackie, KRK, Yamaha etc and learn to use them. They are all different - there is no ONE BEST monitor. After a few months of reading online ratings, reviews and local listening, I picked Yamaha HS80M and am perfectly happy with them. If they didn't exist, I'd find something else to be perfectly happy with.

I started a thread asking what monitors people have because a poll wouldn't allow such diversity. Check that thread out.

Comment

Let your ears, and your personal experience/memory with "live sound" be your guide. Get your hands on some really well recorded "live" Jazz or symphony orchestra recordings, and start A/B'ing through some quality gear. You may also find that proper A/B'ing is also a learning process, in and of itself. Example; are those "harsh" highs caused by the speakers? Is it in the recording? Is it the converters in the playback chain?

There are dozens of small, relatively inexpensive studio monitors that people "critique" like they were high-end, and for the most part, I don't think they're worth the powder to blow most of them to hell. Go listen and compare to a set of Klein & Hummel 0 300's (superb), and I think you'll know what I mean. That said, I'm sure you'll find some workable monitors in the lower price-range. You've just got to learn to use them within their limitations. Knowing those limitations, requires comparison to a reference standard, IMO. It either sounds "real", or it doesn't.

That view may come off as being somewhat cynical, but believe me, after 40 years of listening to what some folks call "hi-end", and having listened to a rare handful that truly did knock my socks off, I do believe it's a realistic view.

In the lower price-range, I would imagine some onboard EQ capability would be a somewhat desireable feature to consider. You might want to look for a solid, non-resonant (inert) cabinet as well. Potential resale value may also be a consideration, if you eventually plan to upgrade.

Good luck,

Bob
          Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

jbls

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for the sound advice.
              My price range would be most likely about $1000- $2000.

Comment

Hey guys,

Thanks for the sound advice.
                My price range would be most likely about $1000- $2000.

ADAM A7 at the bottom.

Focal Solo 6BE at the top.
                "Thank You, NASA!"

Comment

What Mark said...
                  CN Fletcher

Professional affiliations:

R/E/P -- professional Recording Engineer and Producer forums... serious hobbyists welcome

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
                  We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." -A. Whitney Brown

Comment

Buy Adam A7s, set of Mixcubes and a Central Station. Add a cheap set of computer speakers and you will be able to make a mix that will translate well on almost any system.
                    Yeah Buddy! LIGHTWEIGHT!

Comment

Yamaha HS50 or HS80.
                      www.evibeproductions.com
                      www.myspace.com/evibeproductions
                      Professional Mixing & Mastering Online Services & Music Production

Comment

If you already have a well-treated room (ie. rigid fiberglass, as opposed to Auralex, or egg crates lol), then go ahead and spend that $1k-$2k on monitors. If you don't have a well-treated room, them blow half of that on room treatment and spend less on your monitors.

goot treatment and cheap monitors is pretty much always better than no treatment (or crappy treatment) and expensive monitors.
                        Chris 'Von Pimpenstein' Carter
                        Major label mixer & record producer
                        www.vonpimpenstein.com

Comment

.... or egg crates lol) HEY!~~ I still use them, so please pay more respect to it ...

Comment

Working...
                          X