Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presonus Studio Live 16.4.2 - What say you?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presonus Studio Live 16.4.2 - What say you?

I just bought a Presonus Studio Live 16.4.2 for $1000! I'm wondering what all of you engineers out there think of it. I know the converters are good but not as good as the RME stuff but I have heard very good things about this control surface and will be using it in my home studio for recording my own stuff and client demos etc.

Thanks for your input!

median
    Faith means not wanting to know what is true - Friedrich Nietzsche

bump

Comment

That is a good price. I like my SL for demos and practice recordings.
      No, that's not normal. What's the mixer?

It's the behringer...

Found the problem.

Comment

I've used one on OSX 10.6.8 and I couldn't believe how buggy it was.

Thinking it was a fluke, I then (at the request of him) tried out the firestudio 2626...

Again, buggiest piece of **************** I have ever used.

I really hope it works out for you, and that's an excellent price. At this point, personally even if one was given to me it would go on the chop block immediately.

On the subject of the pres: I have a digimax with presonus's XMAX pres and as far as the pres go I think they perform very well. I like them better than octanes.
        www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

Dang, well I am using PC. So we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up though!

Comment

It's a very cool piece of equipment. I've only used one for running live sound, but the sound quality of the EQ's and compressors is very nice.It can definitely take advantage of a lot of the old-school console based recording and tracking techniques.

Comment

I've read a few reviews. I think iof you use a firewire card with a TX instruments chipset, you wont
              have the issues other Presunus gear has with connectivity. Some of them drop out constantly if you dont have a good card.

The only other option I dont think I'd like is the units created exclusively for use with the StudioLive and bundled with it.
              I dont like being tied to one DAW program like that and I prefer to use Sonar. Its fine if you like the DAW program, but we all
              know Daw program manufacturers like to upgrade their software every year or two. Same thing for windows.
              I was already burned once back in the win 98/ME days with a piece of gear that couldnt be upgraded to XP.
              A piece of gear tied to specific software means the manufacturer has your balls in a lock box.

Comment

I wouldn't mind being more specific to the issues I had:

1. Unit would eventually lock up completely and cease to function.
                2. Utility software for both the 2626 and the 16.4.2 would stop working all together, or crash.
                3. Clocking on the 2626 (not an issue for the 16.4.2) was a mess of all messes. You could change it in one place, and have it not change in another place (such as in the utility program) or it would lock up the interface.
                4. When the 16.4.2 locked up, it would cease to pass audio. The compressor GR meter would dime out and you could not change it to channel strip mode (for metering). NOTHING WORKED.

I would hope it was just my FW card, but it's literally the only FW interfaces I have used on my machine to be so glitchy, which is somewhat surprising since I used to own a firepod.

Like I said though, I really do hope my experience is not yours.
                www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

^^^ Another Presonus freeze Job. The other guitarist in my studio band bought a Firepod and tried to run it on his
                  laptop with a PCI/MIA card. Its was constantly dropping out and loosing its connection to the drivers.
                  He brought the setup over to me once, because he's not very technically. I found he had installed the drivers
                  about three different times and versions. I went into the registry and cleaned it all up and installed the one
                  latest version and got it working right so I thought I had it fixed. A week later he was still having issues.

I cant say it wasnt his lack of technical ability, but along with all the simular issues I read from other users
                  Presonus wouldnt be my first choice in an interface. When I do plan on upgrading I do my homework.
                  I google up every review I can find, check the manufacturers forums, and read the manual.
                  Sales adds only tell you what gear is supposed to do. Most dont dig for the dirt till they have purchased
                  gear and have an issue, only to find out is a common problem. Then they relaize why they got it so cheap.

I am very technical savy so I may buy gear knowing it can have issues If I know there are work arounds
                  I can use. My M-Audio 1010LT's for example are decent cards when they are working. If you visit the Forum for Delta
                  cards a few arent so fortunate because their computers Specs arent so hot or incompatible. I was wise to making
                  them work well because I've used PCI cards from the start and know how to optimize a PC. For others it wound
                  up being a nightmare for them.

Comment

^^^ Another Presonus freeze Job. The other guitarist in my studio band bought a Firepod and tried to run it on his
                    laptop with a PCI/MIA card. Its was constantly dropping out and loosing its connection to the drivers.
                    He brought the setup over to me once, because he's not very technically. I found he had installed the drivers
                    about three different times and versions. I went into the registry and cleaned it all up and installed the one
                    latest version and got it working right so I thought I had it fixed. A week later he was still having issues.

I cant say it wasnt his lack of technical ability, but along with all the simular issues I read from other users
                    Presonus wouldnt be my first choice in an interface. When I do plan on upgrading I do my homework.
                    I google up every review I can find, check the manufacturers forums, and read the manual.
                    Sales adds only tell you what gear is supposed to do. Most dont dig for the dirt till they have purchased
                    gear and have an issue, only to find out is a common problem. Then they relaize why they got it so cheap.

I am very technical savy so I may buy gear knowing it can have issues If I know there are work arounds
                    I can use. My M-Audio 1010LT's for example are decent cards when they are working. If you visit the Forum for Delta
                    cards a few arent so fortunate because their computers Specs arent so hot or incompatible. I was wise to making
                    them work well because I've used PCI cards from the start and know how to optimize a PC. For others it wound
                    up being a nightmare for them.

Agree. There are so many motherboard/cpu/memory/gpu/bridge chips/controller cards its hard for manufacturers to make a product "glitch free". It is nice to be able to trouble shoot your own pc/mac to get a buggy interface working. I too have been building and messing with pc's since the old 386 cpu days. My first system was a build to order pc that I got out of the old "Computer Shopper". The ole magazine the size of a small car Remember that ?? Even then I was learning to tweak IRQ's to get add on cards to play nice with each other and MS DOS. Man I feel old. Anyone remember the old "Dosshell" graphic interface for MSDOS ? Anyway it helps to be computer literate with setting up interfaces and DAW's like WRGKMC states above.
                    I like Z Cars
                    and Guitars

Comment

My experience goes back before 386's and worked on all kinds of older computers when I worked for Monroe.
                      That company invented the mechanical calculator and had some of the damdest gear you ever saw.
                      They had mechanical gear to do everything we do digitally now. They built some of the first computers
                      for the Military that were all switches and relays. Took a gang of technicians working 24/7 and the thing
                      was as big as a building. It became obsolite in a few years when vaccume tubes came out. Many of the calculators
                      ran like separate programs do now.

They had special Calculators for sciencem Surveying, Bookkeeping, Bond Trading,
                      you name it. Some loaded programs with punch cards, Magnetic tape, or magnetic cards like our current bank card strips.
                      No memory retention as we know it so you had to reload the program at every reboot.
                      Some of the earlay memory would knock your socks off. They had something that looked like a long spiral reverb spring
                      and the calculator would send an audio signal through the spring and it would be picked up a second later on the other end
                      and converted back to a digital pulse for computation.

I had to learn how all that old gear worked to repair it. Thay also had some earlay PC's that loaded programs with Disks.
                      no memory. Then thay came out with some educational computers that sold well. Thay had a whopping 64K memory.
                      Still no hard drives but the guy who invented DOS worked for the company. They didnt know what to do with the program and
                      they were edged out of the market by IBM and Apple when it became clear they wouldnt be a big player in the Computer field.

Anyway, I got to see the entire changeover and buildup to PC's working on all of that stuff. I eventually bought some early computers.
                      I still have an ancient laptop made by Olivetti. Its got the green screen and you load the programs off floppys. I was able to run word
                      perfect on the thing. I used compurters at work all day longe but none of them could do audio work and none were cheap.
                      Then when Windows 2.0 came out I think we had a 286 with two 1M drives that could run the program.
                      Next computer was one I built. It had two 1G drives and a Crystal Ausion sound card which was a really big deal.
                      I was running win3.1 and I was able to run some simple midi software and do some Audio recording prior to 1995.

Then when win 95 came out it was a big game changer. I think I got my first CD burner in 1996. They were like $300.
                      I used to copy my analog tape recordings over to the computer through the sound card and burn them to a CDR.

After that it was one upgrade after another. I got to use the best computer gear on the day job and bought better
                      gear for home as the prices came down.

Comment

Working...
                      X