No announcement yet.

How do I...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I...

... plug my guitar straight into my PC -> Amp Simulator, then use my monitors as a "cabinet"?
    I've tried EVERY SINGLE COMBO of I/Os on my behringer mixer/PC and I all I'm getting is live DI, then amp sim when I play back.
    What kind of gear do I need to accomplish using my amp sims in real time?

I've posted about this in another thread, but I still didn't get the behringer to work. Now, I'm just looking for another mixer or soundcard.

If you want specific advice I'll need specific info on what gear you're using.
    What behringer, what Interface, what PC and what guitar plugin and what monitors.

Genrally speaking, the best sound is gotten micing a guitar amp.
    Second for recording direct, using some kind of guitar preamp/effects
    unit will allow you to get the guitar gained up before you track.

The gear you can use can vary from a Sans Amp type amp modeling DI box, to
    one of those Boss type multi Effects Floor unit, To a rack preamp designed to
    record direct and has an emulated speaker output. I use at leas a half dozen different
    preamp/effects/GI units for different sounds. Even something like this can dial up
    some great guitar from clean to driven for a minimal cost.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=373651&Q=&O=&is=REG&A=details
    I picked one up for $20 on EBay and it does a great job for a clone.

If you want to use something like Guitar rig, you have to have a really fast computer.
    I suggest a quad core thats optimized for recording. You place the effect in the
    DAW program and select the through/monitor buttons. This will place the effect in
    the path of the playback system and run the effect in real time.

If you dont have a really fast computer capible of processing the signal close to reat time
    you'll have issues with latency. The slower the processor, the longer it takes to process
    the effect, the bigger audio delay you'll hear between the time you strike a guitar chord
    and what you hear through the monitors.

You also have some DAW settings for Lantency and Buffering. If these are adjusted too low,
    it can cause the DAW program to shut down or cause Digital buffering noise, stutters and dropouts.

You can also record the guitar clean with direct monitoring happening, then add the effects afterwards
    like any other effect,. Thats never going to sound great. Its like reamping a guitar from a clean track.
    Playing a guitar clean and driven requires different playing techniques. Playing sustaining leads of a
    clean guitar can be difficult and one you add the drive any missed dampening of strings can sound awful.

Comment

http://http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X2442USB.aspx

That's what I'm using. I was using it as a soundcard because of the USB port. I've tried RCA, USB, different adapters etc. Nothing works.
      The connection I've done to having me play through the amp sim was going USB then plug my computer monitors to the mixer itself. I'll turn on my sims and play guitar through it. Straight DI. Stop the recording and press play, it's playing through the amp sim.

My PC specs are a 3.2GHz CPU, 4GB RAM @ 800MHz, and Windows7 64bit
      The sims I'm running is LeCab w/ gods cab impulses and AcmeBarGig amps.
      Monitor is just some logitech speakers with a sub.

Comment

You probably need to go into the control panel for your interface and mute the direct feed. Not sure how it works with your interface, but make sure you don't have any "direct monitor" type feature activated.
        My RigMy avatar-

Comment

http://http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X2442USB.aspx

That's what I'm using. I was using it as a soundcard because of the USB port. I've tried RCA, USB, different adapters etc. Nothing works.
          The connection I've done to having me play through the amp sim was going USB then plug my computer monitors to the mixer itself. I'll turn on my sims and play guitar through it. Straight DI. Stop the recording and press play, it's playing through the amp sim.

My PC specs are a 3.2GHz CPU, 4GB RAM @ 800MHz, and Windows7 64bit
          The sims I'm running is LeCab w/ gods cab impulses and AcmeBarGig amps.
          Monitor is just some logitech speakers with a sub.

USB us a master/slave communication port. The CPU has comtrol over how fast the data can flow through that port
          and it can interrupt the data flow anytime it wants. the way interface manufacturers get around this is to buffer the data
          so it doesnt have dropouts. The DAW program attempts to write the data on the new track so it aligns with the old.
          I suspect thet Mixer has allot of buffering which is whats making the attempt to run amp sim effects near real time impossible.

In the case of Firewire interfaces it uses Peer to Peer communication which will run in the background uninterrupted.
          Multichannel PCI cards are the other interface which plug directly into the computer bus and provide the fastest transfer
          of interrupted data. Even with those trying to get the latency down below 100ms can be difficult. There are other cards
          on the computer bus including UPB, Video, Network cards etc. All of these fight for CPU power. If you have a high end graphics card or
          and open internet connection, the power being applied to those devices can cause the data coming from an interface device
          to eb and flow. Its just like traffic getting on and off a major highway during rush hour. Sometimes you may be able to get on that buss
          and hit top speed, and sometimes you just have too much data backing up to get on the buss to the drives.

It may send small chunks when the buss is busy, and sometimes those chunks get flatened like a road kill entering the buss.
          So protocol is used to make sure what starts at one end remains intact when it gets to the other end.
          If the data gets sent and winds up with half the data damaged or missing it calls to the interface bufferes and
          tells it to send the data again. These kinds of resends of fdata are called error correction. Each packet of data has a tag
          that tells whats in the packet, and each packet is sequenced. If one packet is damaged, or a number of packets are missing
          the CPU will not come up with the proper number of bits. Different protocols allow varying percentages of errors to occur.
          An internet or Fax connection may be between 5~30%. most see this all the time when visiting internet sites and all the
          pictures on the page dont load. With an interface all the data transfer is within the computer so it doesnt have to
          travel through the internet. The speed is very fast and the percentage of failure can be set to zero.

The datas bufferd (saved) in a FIFO memory chip and it will keep sending the packets in order till it suceeds or it times out and fails.
          failues can cause anything from digital noise, underwater sound, phasing, or time shifting to occur in the playback (if it can be played back)
          If theres only mild issues with latency, you just hear a delay, more extreme it can freeze or crash the program.

You can use this little program to test your computer. http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
          if you have red spikes it means you have issues with devices hogging CPU power.
          http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

If you have latency at or abovesay 50ms I'd forget about trying to run software effects tracking.
          just add them mixing. As I said, you need a quad core to get down below 10ms to run those kinds of plugins
          real time and even then its only for the first few tracks. after you have some traqcks running and effects running the CPU has
          to run those as well as try and run a real time effect tracking. It can quickly bog a CPU down especially for high consumption pig plugins
          with a gazillion unneeded options running.

Disableing network cards,
          optimizing services, disableing programs from loading on startup, turing your video performance down can
          are all possibilities of getting better recording performance. In my daw I only have my OS and Sound cards load.
          I have no internet, no antivirus, nor anything else running that might impede performance. I can flawlessy record
          24 tracks in real time. Since I have a modest single core computer for recording, i have to watch how many plugins I use.
          They suck major juice from the CPU and thay are all different. Sonar has a resource meter. When you load a plugin you can
          see how much it consumes. Anoter issue is illegal downloads with trojans built in. It can bog the crap out of your daw whan loaded
          and you'd never even know it. One reason why I quit using many free plugs. The ones that cause issues get deleted from my system.

Other items are hardware related. you definately want to record to a second internal drive. If you record to the OS drive forget it.
          The C drive will bog out in no time with large wave files. Two drives means two sets of heads and twice the speed recording. the main drive head
          isnt jumping around from patter to platter writing data. A second drive writes data that doesnt get corrupted by temp files and such on the main drive.
          Having a good interface with stable drivers are another big deal. I doubt Behringer has been able to steal what they need yet to copy other well designed
          interfaces. Thats because a big portion of the interfaces is well written drivers. Beghringer copies hardware but copying code is a whole different affair.

These are only some suggestions. you should google up Optimizing a computer fore audio and read all the articles you can.
          This is all kindergarden stuff you "have" to know. You can also visit sites like Black Viper and optimize your Computer.
          I do thise extensively and my boot up tine is about 25 seconds and shut down time about 10 seconds.You'll be surprized what you can
          do with even a boat anchor if you strip all the BS off the computer. Half ow what runs in the background is all network crap you dont need
          running for recording, the rest is bloatware and registry settings.

Comment

So I'm better off just buying new interface and such?

Comment

Maybe. Did tiy run that DPC latency checker I posted?
              It will evaluate your comptrers ability to stream audio.
              If you cant get low latency with the computer you can forget about trying to run
              amp plugins in real time. A different interface isnt going to fix computer latency.

Some optimizing may help, but I found that little program pretty relyable.
              I was having issues with with my interface PCI cards and was able to find items
              causing red spikes. Those spikes were causing digital noise tracking and prevented me from
              running lower latency settings. It didnt speed up the computer though.

Comment

Working...
              X