Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first recording with a condenser mix!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first recording with a condenser mix!

I used a T-bone SC450 I bought off ebay, through a presonus audio box and Garage Band. I recorded it like 2 separated tracks, guitar, then voice. Added little compression, reverb and eq, not knowing anything but just trying to follow my ear.
    Waddya think?
    http://soundcloud.com/gaex86/dying-song-john-frusciante-my
    Gear: Fender American TeleFender Thin-skin JMFender Vibroverb '63 RiToo many pedlolsGreat deals with: Henry_13 (x2), HeartfeltDawn (x2), loobs, theboywho, gambit (x2), ghjhardwick, Used_666 (x2), Loobs, brandnewzo, SG1 too many others I can't remember

Sound quality is good, but its obvious you're straining your voice to sing in such a high key.
    Transpose the song down a whole tone or more, turn your recording mic preamp down a
    little or move back from the mic a minimum of 6" or more and sing out to the people standing at the
    back of the concert hall. Projecting your voice will strengthen the weak notes and make them hold their pitch.
    Take deep breaths and relax. Smmthly pass the air through your vocal cords and you'll have less wobbely
    pitch pailures.

As the recording is now, If I had to work with it, I'd use autotune on it to keep the notes in pitch,
    but theres nothing that will fix the weakness of some of the notes being sung.
    Only projecting the notes more singing from the diaphram instead of the back of the throght will fix that.
    Dont be afraid to sing out loudly into that mic. You arent going to hurt the mic. Sing like you want to make
    the entire mic stand vibrate from the power of your voice and clearly pronounce the words when you do it.
    If you have any problem getting to the highest notes, transpose the song down to a lower key.

Thats about the only suggestions have. I dont normally coach the musicians performance
    unless I hear something can and should be fixed. I'm not a professional vocal coach
    but have worked with many great singers. In all cases you have to stick within your own vocal
    range to be effective. Coaching someone without discouraging the performer is a difficult thing.
    I've never been great at it so I keep my focus on whats best for the music and should never be taken personally.

If your father saw you driving a nail into a piece of wood and saw something that would help
    you drive that nail in straight, he's stop you and demonstrate a better technique. You'd watch
    carefully, then when he hands you the hammer back you focus on that technique till you can do
    it was well or better than he can.

Audio engineers must do simular things at times. Music goes beyond mics and twisting knobs.
    In this case, theres no big issue with the sound quality. The mic sounds good, and the tune isnt bad.
    Try my suggestions. see what you get, then post another clip back here.
    Its allot easier to coach someone in person, but a forum is better than nothing.
    It will at least give you some guidence and maybe point you in the right direction.

Comment

wow thanks a lot for all the suggestions! obviously I'm not a singer neither I have ever took lessons and as you can hear I got many flaws. But I really like to sing and record. I'm going to try with a new song soon, trying to listen to your advices. I wish I could learn how to use my diaphram better, instead of using my throat. Sometimes I feel like I have a decent pitch range and little potentiality, but don't know how to use.

Now speaking of the guitar, any suggestions? I tried with the mic in axis with 12-13 th neck fret, and then post I eq'd and compressed a little. I'm no expert at all so I'd like to learn something more.

BTW thanks a lot for all your suggestions and for the time you took to listen to this. I really appreciate it!
      Gear: Fender American TeleFender Thin-skin JMFender Vibroverb '63 RiToo many pedlolsGreat deals with: Henry_13 (x2), HeartfeltDawn (x2), loobs, theboywho, gambit (x2), ghjhardwick, Used_666 (x2), Loobs, brandnewzo, SG1 too many others I can't remember

Comment

Working...
      X