anyone own the POD HD pro??

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone own the POD HD pro??

Can i do this with it.

Have a mic'ed up guitar speaker going into the units mic pre, whilst recording a dry guitar signal for reamping later on? if it can do this and WELL, i must have one.
    amps
    Engl fireball
    ht-20 combo
    blackstar HT-5
    Peavey Classic 50H
    Baez 100 something
    cabs
    engl slant (V30 one)
    marshall 1960a
    classic 4x12 tweed
    E-tone 1x12
    Baez 4x12
    guitars
    Shecter Blackjack 08
    Schecter Classic Blue
    Schecter Elite vintage white
    LTD M-302 natural finish
    my vids of shred
    http://www.youtube.com/user/gtjumper

I'm not exactly sure what you want to do.

If you want to use the HD Pro as your mic preamp for an otherwise completely standard guitar->amp->cab->mic setup then you'd have to split the signal of your guitar - once into your amp, and the other either into the HD Pro or directly into your audio interface if that supports DI. But then why use the HD Pro at all, why not get a mic preamp, a DI and an AB box to do that.

If you want to use the HD Pro as the preamp into a guitar power amp->cab->mic setup and feed the mic back into the HD Pro then you can do that directly. Plug guitar into the front of the HD Pro, connect the dry out to your audio interface, connect one of the other outputs to your amp, and connect your mic to the XLR inputs of the HD Pro. Your patch will have to have two separate signal paths: once for your guitar and once for your microphone. You'll probably have to set each of those paths to one of the stereo extremes to get what you want, but from all information I can gather it's possible.

Edit: actually you could use the HD Pro as your ABY and DI box by not having anything in your "guitar" path for your patch.
    Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern.
    Cabs: Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (half-back)
    Guitars: Ibanez UV777PBK, Ibanez K7 (with BKP Painkillers), Shecter 006 Deluxe, Jackson Kelly Standard, Ibanez SRX705, Takamine Classical, Taylor Acoustic.

Comment

this is the signal path i want.

guitar -> POD input -> pod records dry guitar signal (that can later have the pods amp models applied if needed) -> amp -> microphone -> pod's mic pre.

so its going to have 2 signals being tracked, one being a dry signal, the other being the amp that was miced up. Why i want to do this? im recording a few bands lately, (really loving it too) but some of them have the ****************tiest amps known to man but insist they be on the their album..... so i say ok and then reamp later on with a much nicer sounding pod track using their dry recorded track...
      amps
      Engl fireball
      ht-20 combo
      blackstar HT-5
      Peavey Classic 50H
      Baez 100 something
      cabs
      engl slant (V30 one)
      marshall 1960a
      classic 4x12 tweed
      E-tone 1x12
      Baez 4x12
      guitars
      Shecter Blackjack 08
      Schecter Classic Blue
      LTD M-302 natural finish
      my vids of shred

Comment

As far as I can make out from the literature the dry out of the HD Pro is the same level as the input, and is not transferred over USB, so if you don't have a Hi-z input into your DAW it doesn't really get you much further.
        Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern.
        Cabs: Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (half-back)
        Guitars: Ibanez UV777PBK, Ibanez K7 (with BKP Painkillers), Shecter 006 Deluxe, Jackson Kelly Standard, Ibanez SRX705, Takamine Classical, Taylor Acoustic.

Comment

I also have a 16 input interface, but dont know how to bypass the pres...

If this unit cannot record dry signal and microphone simultaneously then i dont want it.. i might as well put my money into a reamp box and a decent mic pre from universal audio or avalon.
          amps
          Engl fireball
          ht-20 combo
          blackstar HT-5
          Peavey Classic 50H
          Baez 100 something
          cabs
          engl slant (V30 one)
          marshall 1960a
          classic 4x12 tweed
          E-tone 1x12
          Baez 4x12
          guitars
          Shecter Blackjack 08
          Schecter Classic Blue
          LTD M-302 natural finish
          my vids of shred

Comment

I have an HD Pro and I don't think this workflow is really what the POD is about. If you are going to do this, you might as well just stick with software that excels at it, such as Guitar Rig/Amplitube , etc...
            Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

Creativity is a Work Ethic

Comment

Can't back this up 100% but I'm 98% positive that you can definitely do this.

All the toneport, podstudio interfaces (that have mic preamps) can do it.

Mine for example can record the podfarm guitar (mono only though), one mic preamp, and 2 channels of clean DI either post or pre effects of podfarm.

Or it can record a stereo rig from podfarm and a stereo DI track post a pre effects.
              www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

Mine for example can record the podfarm guitar (mono only though), one mic preamp, and 2 channels of clean DI either post or pre effects of podfarm.

Or it can record a stereo rig from podfarm and a stereo DI track post a pre effects.

I need to know 100%, but your exciting me! Lol
                amps
                Engl fireball
                ht-20 combo
                blackstar HT-5
                Peavey Classic 50H
                Baez 100 something
                cabs
                engl slant (V30 one)
                marshall 1960a
                classic 4x12 tweed
                E-tone 1x12
                Baez 4x12
                guitars
                Shecter Blackjack 08
                Schecter Classic Blue
                LTD M-302 natural finish
                my vids of shred

Comment

That's software based though, not the POD HD interface.

Comment

I have an HD Pro and I don't think this workflow is really what the POD is about. If you are going to do this, you might as well just stick with software that excels at it, such as Guitar Rig/Amplitube , etc...

True. POD doesn't work like a VST where you can go back and mix and match stuff onto the dry signal.

Comment

But it does have a dry out! so i could plug that straight into the desk through one channel, and record the guitars cabinet through another? my desk has hi z inputs just not output...
                      amps
                      Engl fireball
                      ht-20 combo
                      blackstar HT-5
                      Peavey Classic 50H
                      Baez 100 something
                      cabs
                      engl slant (V30 one)
                      marshall 1960a
                      classic 4x12 tweed
                      E-tone 1x12
                      Baez 4x12
                      guitars
                      Shecter Blackjack 08
                      Schecter Classic Blue
                      LTD M-302 natural finish
                      my vids of shred

Comment

I went ahead to L6.com

The answer is yes the podHD (it appears any model) can record both the mic and the guitar at the same time.

You don't get to run a stereo rig on the guitar though.

It also looks like you can run the outputs how ever you see fit. Routing each amp to it's own out etc...
                        www.nerolstudio.com

Comment

I went ahead to L6.com

The answer is yes the podHD (it appears any model) can record both the mic and the guitar at the same time.

It also looks like you can run the outputs how ever you see fit. Routing each amp to it's own out etc...

Bingo! Thanks man!
                          amps
                          Engl fireball
                          ht-20 combo
                          blackstar HT-5
                          Peavey Classic 50H
                          Baez 100 something
                          cabs
                          engl slant (V30 one)
                          marshall 1960a
                          classic 4x12 tweed
                          E-tone 1x12
                          Baez 4x12
                          guitars
                          Shecter Blackjack 08
                          Schecter Classic Blue
                          LTD M-302 natural finish
                          my vids of shred

Comment

I went ahead to L6.com

This is true, but I didn't that that was exactly what he was asking. He was looking for a way to do re-amping. If you run into the POD HD Pro, you can run ONE input from the MIC input, which would send his mic'ed cabinet, and you can run the other input through effects/amps etc. within the HD - there are your stereo channels, but you will be getting exactly what you hear. If he wants to make that signal DRY in the POD HD, he CAN DEFINITELY DO THAT, but in order to "re-amp" that signal with the POD HD after the fact, you would have to re-configure and send your recorded track out to the POD and loop it back in, which to ME is a bit of work in order to "re-amp" especially when the VST software can do this much easier, BUT if you want the POD HD as part of your live rig anyway, then YES, as an audio interface, it will definitely allow two discrete channels (and chains) for recording, but re-amping would be a bit of re-wiring and re-routing after the fact to use the hardware unit.

I hope that makes sense.

Comment

This is true, but I didn't that that was exactly what he was asking. He was looking for a way to do re-amping. If you run into the POD HD Pro, you can run ONE input from the MIC input, which would send his mic'ed cabinet, and you can run the other input through effects/amps etc. within the HD - there are your stereo channels, but you will be getting exactly what you hear. If he wants to make that signal DRY in the POD HD, he CAN DEFINITELY DO THAT, but in order to "re-amp" that signal with the POD HD after the fact, you would have to re-configure and send your recorded track out to the POD and loop it back in, which to ME is a bit of work in order to "re-amp" especially when the VST software can do this much easier, BUT if you want the POD HD as part of your live rig anyway, then YES, as an audio interface, it will definitely allow two discrete channels (and chains) for recording, but re-amping would be a bit of re-wiring and re-routing after the fact to use the hardware unit.

I hope that makes sense.

Yep, re-amping with the PODHD would be a big pain. If he just wants a mic'd amp being recorded along with a dry signal, a splitter is all he needs. Much cheaper and easier.

Re-amping on the dry signal would be much easier with GuitarRig or Amplitube. Even with a USB connection, the PODHD doesn't act like a VST where you can mix and match after you've recorded. I'm actually surprised it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X