Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cubase AI5 Can I Record MIDI as AUdio?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubase AI5 Can I Record MIDI as AUdio?

I downloaded a program called thedrumsource 1.0, a VST instrument for Cbase...It works like a samplr-drum-machine...you have the virtual module/hardware and then you use WAVfiles in it to generate drum hits...will I be able to do anything like record drum beats for projects in cubase? I have created a bass-kick pattern in drumsource, synced it to the transport in Cubase, but when I hit record it doesn't seem to be recording...the levels are going up and down but only next to the VST folder, not the MIDI track. whats up.
    Motif XS 8-into an Mbox-out of my PC and into the sky.

I'm not an expert on midi or sampled files but reading the product it says you can create a
    pattern in that program then you can export it to a wave file. It doesnt say anything about
    running it in a DAW program. it may be like fruty loops free sequencer where you generate a loop, save
    it as a wave file loop, then import those loops into your DAW program.

The program may be a midi sequencer, but it that playes back wave samples.
    If thats the case you wont hear it play back in a midi track because the tracks arent midi,
    they're wave audio samples.

This is different from an actual midi sequencer that uses midi voices stored in banks to generate the tones.
    In those cases, you select the proper bank for the proper sound and if the midis set up right you'll hear that voice play back.

Whats written to tracks is midi data, not audio data. The track contains no audio data with a true midi sequencer.
    The midi track playes back an that data uses the midi voice bank to generate its tone. You can change these tones
    by selecting any voice in the banks.

If this sequencer is designed to be run in a midi track, then you have a problem with the data triggering the proper voices.
    It can be any number of settings. A DAW program will likely default to its internel midi voices and you'll have to go into
    audio properties of the DAW program to change those.

Comment

TheDrumSource is VST instrument that is a sample based drum machine. You can load it in any Digital audio workstation (DAW) like Cubase and Minihost.

what would be a good alternate drummachine-VST?...I just want to make some loops to use in CUbase...I don't have a MIDI controller right now so I thought using drumsource as a "controller" would work. It is one of the few drum-machine-vst that has an "pad" interface as well as tone generator.

in drumsource 1.0, each channel on the main module can have a .wav sample assigned to it. In my specific case, I am using Akai xr-10 samples as the sound(bank?) and drumsource is my MIDI device(?)...this doesn't seem much different from using a MIDI keyboard and a softsynth...only difference here is that I am inputting notes on a virtual drum-machine instead of a piece of hardware. I am a new CUbase user, but I am starting to sweat VST limitations thinking..."well I can't record the audio generated by the virtual drum-machine and the .wav files....will I even be able to use softsynths when my MIDI keyboard arrives?!

What do I need to know about soft-synths and drum-machine-vsts to enhance my songwriting in Cubase?
      Motif XS 8-into an Mbox-out of my PC and into the sky.

Comment

What you want to do is possible. You'll either have to look it up in the manual, wait until someone who uses Cubase shows up, or go find a Cubase forum.

Comment

TheDrumSource is VST instrument that is a sample based drum machine. You can load it in any Digital audio workstation (DAW) like Cubase and Minihost.

what would be a good alternate drummachine-VST?...I just want to make some loops to use in CUbase...I don't have a MIDI controller right now so I thought using drumsource as a "controller" would work. It is one of the few drum-machine-vst that has an "pad" interface as well as tone generator.

in drumsource 1.0, each channel on the main module can have a .wav sample assigned to it. In my specific case, I am using Akai xr-10 samples as the sound(bank?) and drumsource is my MIDI device(?)...this doesn't seem much different from using a MIDI keyboard and a softsynth...only difference here is that I am inputting notes on a virtual drum-machine instead of a piece of hardware. I am a new CUbase user, but I am starting to sweat VST limitations thinking..."well I can't record the audio generated by the virtual drum-machine and the .wav files....will I even be able to use softsynths when my MIDI keyboard arrives?!

What do I need to know about soft-synths and drum-machine-vsts to enhance my songwriting in Cubase?
          Rendering virtual instruments to audio tracks is a normal part of business. I'm not a Cubase guy, either, unfortunately, so I can't give you specific steps but you certainly should be able to find it in the manual. I believe Cubase also may have 'track freeze' which is a temporary or interim rendering. (Different DAWs may treat 'freezing' differently.)

A final alternative/approach is to simply route the output of the virtual drum tracks out the outputs and then record them back into the inputs (making sure, of course, that you are not monitoring the inputs, which would give you the feedback loop from hell).

One proviso, though, you'll want to make sure that your rig has proper timeline calibration: ie, make sure that any new tracks line up with what's already recorded. (Some, many, in fact, DAW/hardware driver combos have had such difficulties in the past -- and most DAWs now have a way of fine-tuning over over-riding the latency settings passed to the DAW by the driver. If the latency isn't properly accounted for in the new audio placement on the timeline, you get a time misalignment between elements.) Of course, this is something you want to make sure of, no matter what, as it will directly affect the feel and coherence of your music.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

I use Nuendo, so it's a little different, but essentially it's the same beast. It doesn't record when you press record because there is no routing between the VST instruments and the audio tracks in your DAW. To my knowledge, there isn't an option to route the output of VST instruments to audio tracks, but don't worry. This is an easy procedure.

In the project window in Cubase, there will be a VST instruments group folder. In there you should find the VST track for the drum program that you're using (the one where the meter lights up when it's playing.) Solo that track. Make sure that your export markers are correctly set in the timeline ruler on the top of the project window. Then render the audio. Boom, you've got an audio file of your programmed beat from your VST drum program.

MIDI data is just that, data - zeros and ones. MIDI can trigger the playback of audio samples, but MIDI cannot and will never be audio. I hope that helps...

Comment

Working...
            X