No announcement yet.

Headphones...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones...

Hey guys. I usually hang out around the effects forum, but I guess this is where my question belongs. I'm looking for a pair of headphones under 200 euro. I'll primarily be using them at home, to do production work with. I'm primarily making Ambient, Dubstep, and Drum and Bass. I've been looking at AKG K240 MKII, KRK KNS 8400, and Audio-Technica ATH M50, but I'm looking for some opinions on these. Thanks.
    WTS/WTT: Boss GT6B
    MXR Bass Di+

Like Dubstep/D&B? Check me out at:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Foreignsik
    http://soundcloud.com/foreignsik

I'd recommend grado or sennheiser. Even the cheapest grados are good quality (but no the most comfortable), + all the parts are replaceable if something breaks on them. For sennheiser I'd say check out the HD line, and find what best fits/sounds good/in your price range...
    gear: hohner g3t or fender performer > Voodoo Bass--FX17--M9+vp jr--SansAmp GT2(direct)> delta blues/valve jr.......squire p bass.......akai mpk49 > MB pro/abletonLIVE/niREAKTOR

music etc. @
    MO-SAT

Comment

I love the KRK KNS 8400. I've been extremely pleased with them.

Comment

Audio-Technica ATH 20 ??? there are goods???

Comment

Headphones are OK for tracking and checking stereo balance but you wont get good mixes using them.
          All your mixes will suffere from sounding two dimensional. You need studio monitors to properly adjust
          the depth of the mix. Its nearly impossible to get time based effects like reverbs mixed properly with
          headphones because theres no space between the ears and the source of sound.
          Many headphones dont have a flat responce either. Thay may produce sound from
          20 to 20Khz but thers bumps and valleys in that responce. Different frequencies carry different
          in the open air and they travel at different speeds. When you have all the frequencies hitting the
          eardrum at the same time, then you play the mix through speakers theres a doppler shift in what you hear
          through the air. Its best to fine tune your mix through actual monitors to avoid all of that.

I used headphones for a good 20 years mixing. If I got one good mix out of 10 It was more luck than anything else.
          I may have A/B's my mixes against a good commercial mix and just got things close enough to sound good.
          Once I got a good set of studio monotors it was like day and night mixing. I use headphones tracking
          But you really dont need the best ones out there for that. My advice is get some nearfields. Even cheaper ones will
          get you a better quality mix then most of your best bones.

Comment

Working...
          X