No announcement yet.

noob question - making tracks sound more "warm"

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob question - making tracks sound more "warm"

hi guys, I record using roland octacapture, 44.1khz 24bit with Reaper. apparently the roland is very very flat and neutral, so it can sound boring. my korg keyboard has 32Khz samples and I absolutely love it, is there a way to convert tracks in Reaper to 32Khz ? Or is there a better way to do it using plugins ? Or perhaps somekind of affordable external 1 or 2 channel hardware?

any advice greatly appreciated !!!

"warm" well rounded and powerful sound starts with using the microphones which capture it that way. On recent tv documentary I didnt't even use any eq, you don't believe that? Listen:

http://www.videoportal.sf.tv/video?id=cd2a506a-6e39-4700-b98f-d4c894175d83

Comment

All interfaces are supposed to record flat. The trick is to capture the entire frequency spectrum of
      the source and not add any color. Then if you want color, you either change the source or you add it mixing.
      If you only have a single instrument recordded, and it doesnt fill the entire frequency spectrum from 20~20K
      its will sound nutreal based on its frequency range. Its when you have many instruments recorded,
      each using part of that frequency spectrum and displaying its own dynamics that a mix begins to take shape.

Having 32 bit isnt going to make the recording sound warmer or better. If you cant get a great sounding recording at
      CD quality of 16/44, then you're looking in the wrong place to fix your problem.
      Electronics can only capture what you perform as a musician.
      Recordings are truth detectors. Its like looking at yourself in a mirror.
      You have to be honest with yourself and decide weather you like what you see.
      If you listen to a flat frequency recording that has no effects added and you dont like what you hear,
      it comes down to being a musicianship/performance problem you have to focus on.

Experienced musicans can often visualize themselves playing in front of an audiance
      when they record and carry through the emotion they would feel when they play the notes
      and capture all that nervous energy in the recording. If you record without any kind of emotion
      your recording will be as flat as Kelcey's Corn flakes.

They havent made a plugin thats called emotion yet. When thy do you can hang up your instruments for good.

Comment

There are various tape sat and other "warm" plugins kicking around, but like WRGKMC says, it comes down to the mics and the playing - or recording on tape
        Do you need live drum tracks? http://www.drumtracksdirect.co.uk/

Comment

Recordings are truth detectors. Its like looking at yourself in a mirror.

Recording is a mirror - if an ape looks into it an apostle is hardly likely to look out

Comment

^^ True with recording as well. The recording medium only regurgitates a duplicate of what its fed.
            If its fed garbage it regurgitates garbage.

Comment

He didn't say 32 bit, he said 32khz. Maybe the keyboard uses samples with a lower sample rate than CD quality, and the lack of high end is perceived as "warm."

In any case, that same audio quality would carry over to the DAW whether you used a digital or analog inputs to record the output of the keyboard. The native sample rate of the session doesn't matter. Those keyboard samples are going to have the same frequency content no matter what you use to record them.

If you want the entire mix to have that same quality, you could put a very steep LPF on the mix around 16khz. I wouldn't recommend it, but sometimes I do that to individual tracks. Particularly electric guitar or bass tracks.

Comment

thanks all. much to learn , will take time to digest what's been said here. zooey, u're right about the lack of high end on my korg 01/w especially, sounds "warm and cold" at the same time

its kinda overwhelming for a beginner to learn mixing, i just don't know where to start.

Comment

It can be overwhelming, but above all, it's supposed to be fun. Just jump in and start experimenting. You're not going to break anything.

Comment

... but above all, it's supposed to be fun.

yes, just like digging coal in a mine

Comment

He didn't say 32 bit, he said 32khz. Maybe the keyboard uses samples with a lower sample rate than CD quality, and the lack of high end is perceived as "warm."

I understand now. Didnt realize he was talking about the recorded samples in the keyboard.
                      That keyboard had non standard sample rates recorded at 16 bit 32 kHz.
                      Subsequent Korg synths had their samples recorded at 16 bit 44.1 kHz, reducing the available high end.
                      In either case, they were close to CD quality and its the content of the samples that are warm.
                      that has little to do with his recording sample rates. Even a compressed MP3 format can sound warm if its mixed properly.

Comment

hi guys, I record using roland octacapture, 44.1khz 24bit with Reaper. apparently the roland is very very flat and neutral, so it can sound boring. my korg keyboard has 32Khz samples and I absolutely love it, is there a way to convert tracks in Reaper to 32Khz ? Or is there a better way to do it using plugins ? Or perhaps somekind of affordable external 1 or 2 channel hardware?

You don't say what you're recording through the Roland, but samples at 32kHz won't have frequencies above 16kHz, so try putting a low-pass filter on the mix. You might also try a tape saturation plugin, which combines reduced high frequencies with mild distortion.