Commercial Instructional Facility

Idunno

• Members

A new music instruction (real instrument) facility is opening up near me that does not include EDM, which surprises me. These days the impetus of EDM is becoming common place alongside the popularity of learning to play real instruments. When I look at the musical hook-up scene in my area EDM has hit the map and is collecting members. Meanwhile, the typical community of members playing real instruments has stagnated.

The demographics between EDM and real instrument use puts the former on a very young footing and, in my experience, where the youthful spirit of music making visited us all in our times. The traditional music making method (instruments) is on a dwindling trend.

Going back a couple years, I absolutely despised the entire notion of EDM and anyone who would portend it was music. I had all kinds of reasons for it and, of them all, the raping of the art form by technology was certainly the lead-in. There are certain facets of life where technology is a credible benefit but there are limits that it's progenitors are carelessly profiteering from. Music is one, social interaction is another where one's sense of community is being insidiously crippled, and so on.

But, I'm a curmudgeon of an old world work and play ethic that is not finding an embrace in the days ahead. So, I look to coalesce the measures of loss for measures of gain and let the world go ahead while I revel in my own collection of gains. That's what we old guys do.

Anyway, EDM is not on the curriculum at this new facility and despite my glee that it isn't, I think the facility owners and planners are missing the boat. I think EDM is here to stay and needs to be embraced for what it is and what it offers our kids as job developments and sources of income.

• Members

Might be an economic oversight but they can always add the program if it becomes feasible. Otherwise, I agree with the implication that EDM is toys that will distract and detract from a proper program. Look around; generations of "musicians" who can't play a lick; couldn't play a melody if you spotted them all the notes in order.

• Members

Well, what I think would benefit a fair number of EDM-ers is some form and analysis, theory - particularly as it pertains to modulation and voice leading, and maybe some music appreciation and history wouldn't hurt. I mean, they really don't need classes on how to work their devices so much as they need schooling at the other things that make for well put together music. I don't mind if what I'm hearing is short on licks, but clumsy voice leading and modulations, all 1 or 2 of them, if any...just not good. Many of the same approaches and techniques that worked for classical composers, jazzers, and musicians of all sorts going back a long ways are still relevant and can only increase the scope and artistry of their EDM product.

I suppose if the piano, guitar, violin are has beens then they may as well make better music with what they have, I guess, if they have to.

Archived