to all those who play jazz, how did u learn?

mbengs1

• Members

Do you have a good grasp of music theory?

Learn about the ii, V, I chord progession and its various forms.

Learn to play the jazz standards focusing on how the melody fits over the chord changes and the use of the ii, V, I.

There are many resources available but the best choice is to find a good teacher.

• Members
Do you have a good grasp of music theory?

Learn about the ii, V, I chord progession and its various forms.

Learn to play the jazz standards focusing on how the melody fits over the chord changes and the use of the ii, V, I.

There are many resources available but the best choice is to find a good teacher.

i have a good grasp of music theory but only in rock and blues. its just licks. but for jazz, i don't play like other natural jazz players. i feel my version of jazz is not as good as others. i just use the chromatic scale and try to play off key and make it sounds like music. :)

• Members

'make it sound like music' really is the objective isn't it

when you say 'play off key' you seem to be generalizing - learning jazz theory makes it about tension (off key) and release - the jazz players learn which notes, scales and arpeggios work over which chord changes to produced the desired amount of tension and release - learning this stuff helps develop a vocabulary of things to play that will make it sound like the music you want to hear (or, as i describe it, the music that wants to be played)

• Moderators

i have a good grasp of music theory but only in rock and blues. its just licks. but for jazz, i don't play like other natural jazz players. i feel my version of jazz is not as good as others. i just use the chromatic scale and try to play off key and make it sounds like music. :)

theory is theory, the difference is how one applies it.

I am currently working with a number of jazz horn players, a rock drummer, an R&B bassist, and the keyboardist from my blues band. But, we play some jazz. It is a different way of doing things, but the theory is the same.

I do not consider myself a jazz guitarist, and I eschew the whole zillion notes per bar approach, but I can learn the lines, fake the changes and cut a solo. I studied music and piano in college, but I have never taken a guitar lesson, at least not as such. I check youtube when I am learning a standard, just to get an idea/guideline, but I don't immerse myself or memorize the video.

The advantage in a large band is that I can play triads for comping, without getting hung up on chord names [like diminished 7 flat 5], just strip it down to follow the melodic thrust while making changes on time. My issue is the amount of memorization of lead lines/heads one has to absorb...along with the chord structure.

• Members

i played lead guitar for wvu's jazz band in 1979... my audition was sight reading the piccolo and guitar soli in frank zappa's " peaches and regalia " that year we were invited to montreaux jazz fest... also worked with a fellow that played lead guitar for bob wills... last name was wilson and he played a sweet old firebird... worked about five years with robert guiterrez, house guitarist at the wheeling jamboree and opry... never one formal lesson on guitar, however there were lessons on piano beginnng at 5 yrs then clarinet, sax, trumpet, trombone, drums, music theory, etc. this year im working on transverse flutes, particularly the bansuri, and ukulele for kicks.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I tried to learn SANTERIA by SUBLIME "before" I learned how to play reggae and let me type IT WAS DIFFICULT. after I learned enough reggae to SEE how he(Bradly Nowell) arrived at the song it was like OH THATS HOW he did it. but I could never play authentic reggae until I knew enough chords and techniques from learning other types of musics and songs to have enough skills and knowledge under my metaphorical belt to do so. Learning about a thousand songs from many different genres will allow you to finde enough chords, techniques and whatnot to authentically play jazz. Everything gravitates to jazz naturally after you learn enough songs in many genres. jazz is a FUSION of technique, styles and genres that only comes from relentless learning, playing and learning some more. check out Willie Nelson and see what he's doing. the song GEORGIA ON MY MIND is a goode example too.

• Members
is that what you were asking?

Never give a muse a straight answer.

Moving right along and in strict defiance of the previous line, the whole thing with Jazz is guess wut.

Rivum. Gotta learn the ins, ups, outs and downs of it. The whole thing is creating tension and releasing as cool as possible. Getting what that means requires you start in the 1920s and actually listen to the stuff. Highly recommended also is weed. Going through the next 50, 60 yrs of bands, combos, swing, bop, should put you on footing enough to give improvisation a shot.

Archived