No announcement yet.

Letting guitars dry out?!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letting guitars dry out?!

This vid was posted in the Off Topic Forums but I'm less interested in the review or the specific guitar under consideration. What stuck out for me was the comment at about 6:50 about letting guitars "dry out." Why oh, why would you ever do that?

Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

I took that comment to mean "in this environment guitars always dry out and if they're going to develop fret sprout it'll happen here.

For me I have to dehumidify them to keep them at the right humidity but they're usually on the high side.

Comment

"I live in the desert." There's desert, and then, there's desert. I suspect that the humidity is not really that low wherever he is, else he'd be seeing a lot more than a little "fret sprout" on a lot of his guitars, and his attitude would not be so casual about it.
      Last edited by FretFiend.; 06-09-2019, 02:19 PM.
      __________________________________________________ _________
      Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society.

Comment

Originally posted by FretFiend. View Post
        "I live in the desert." There's desert, and then, there's desert. I suspect that the humidity is not really that low wherever he is, else he'd be seeing a lot more than a little "fret sprout" on a lot of his guitars, and his attitude would not be so casual about it.
        I suspect you're probably right. He's probably in an area where "dry" is relative.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...y-by-state.php

The above is a state annual average humidity listing. Arizona shows a high of 53 and low of 25 RH. That's consistent with the statement made in the video for material contraction. Nice guitar for the money, though.
          - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

Working...
          X