No announcement yet.

NoGD

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoGD

I actually bought this guitar about 12 or 13 years ago in Vietnam.
    But it’s a new guitar. It has been in the case over a decade.

I spec'd it. 20 frets, slot-head, full-size Gibson Jumbo. Barn door Fishman pick-up. Cedar top & Cambodian Rosewood back and sides. Maple neck, Ebony fret-board and
    bridge.

It is an amazing piece of work. It sat in the case for over a decade.
    When Mr. Binh built it but the bridge was far too high. When I pulled it out of
    the case - it was like new but the saddle & the bridge
    were way too high for my weak fingers.

So I gave it to a local guy to sand the bridge & saddle. He did a beautiful job
    but it took almost a damned year!

Anyway - this is an INCREDIBLE guitar as you will see.

Cedar top. Cambodian Rosewood back & Sides, Venetian Cutaway
    It is a 20 fret slot-head. Grover Stay-Tite Tuners lock it in tune beautiully.

Ebony fretboard & bridge. What a big, beautiful guitar. w/ the Cedar top, it has a unique sound too. '

In case anyone doesn't think it is different enough - here is the back I spec'd. 2 dragons at war w/ each other.

Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 05-29-2019, 02:52 PM.
    He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

The lovely intersection between the Rosewood & the Maple neck. Beautiful job here.

Finally, the bridge in question. I think I still have room both on the bridge & on the saddle

Comment

Lovely guitar even if the back is a bit blingy for my taste. As for the bridge, I've never seen anything quite like it. Definitely distinctive. Happy Returned Guitar Day.
      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
      Member of the Schecter Society
      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

This is a new guitar really. The case has some wear. The guitar has barely been played in 12-13 years. there’s not one scratch on it.

As far as tone goes, the Rosewood & Cedar give it a very silky strum sound.
        Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 05-29-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Whoa! Beautiful. Congrats and enjoy.

Comment

Wow, that's really a unique looking guitar. The bridge is definitely unusual too.

I really like it overall - except for the split diamonds on the headstock - they look a bit out of place IMHO, and not as well executed as the rest of the inlay work. Outside of that, it looks like a really cool guitar! Happy NoGD!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
            - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Yea, kinda blingy but I love dragons and the whole Asian mysticism surrounding them. I'd like to hear that guitar finger picked.
              - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

Bling is where I was 12 or 13 years ago. I don’t regret that.
                i agree w/ Phil O’Keefe. The diamonds on the headstock are not rendered so well.

I’ll be posting some music from this guitar in the months ahead.
                It has a big sound. It will be tougher to record than my little grand auditorium.

this guitar stays in tune for days. The set-up, intonation & fretwork
                are first-rate.
                Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 05-30-2019, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne Rambert View Post
                  Bling is where I was 12 or 13 years ago. I don’t regret that.
                  i agree w/ Phil O’Keefe. The diamonds on the headstock are not rendered so well.
                  The dragons are awesome though!

I’ll be posting some music from this guitar in the months ahead.
                  It has a big sound. It will be tougher to record than my little grand auditorium.
                  In what way? Too much bass? If so, engage the mic's high pass filter (if it has one) and try that first.

I look forward to hearing your guitar - I'm interested in hearing what those woods sound like!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                  - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                  - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                  - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Nice. What did you pay for it if you remember?
                    "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Etienne, you're still there?
                      Nice guitar, even though the dragons ... but other than that, really, really nice.
                      How's life going now that you're back in the Big Easy ... you are, aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

The dragons are awesome though!

In what way? Too much bass? If so, engage the mic's high pass filter (if it has one) and try that first.

I look forward to hearing your guitar - I'm interested in hearing what those woods sound like!
                        Yeah. I think this guitar can overwhelm a mic. I can record my grand auditorium Guild F65ce w/ 1 Mic and it just sparkles. This will need
                        2 mics for sure.

Guitarcapo:

Since I had this made from scratch, it was $400 or 500 IIRC.But I was living there. No shipping costs.

Katopp: That’s close: I am one more refugee from New Orleans who fled to the beaches of Mississippi.

I’m only an hour away from Nola if I need to drive in. I am 1/4 mile from the beach.

BTW I have another VN acoustic dread I’ve never shown here.
                        It surprised me when I opened it up this year. It was buried in a case
                        under a stack of other stuff.

It is probably 15 yrs old but brand new - unplayed.
                        It’s back at the homestead in Lousy Anna. I use it for Nashville tuning
                        there.
                        Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 05-30-2019, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Leave that in a case for a decade? A year to sand nut & bridge? And sometimes I think I procrastinate too much... thoughts (choose as many as wish): you maybe have too many guitars if you can put that aside for so long; like me you have creeping dementia and forgot you had it; you like to age guitars like fine wine before imbibing (still in France?)....
                          Do you know if Mr Binh is still in business? Might give me excuse for field trip. Not too blingy for me (I live in Thailand... Thai temples as bling as can be). Love that guitar... and enjoy your posts
                          I was kicked out of music class for passing notes...
                          Tuned out, turned in and dropped off

Comment

FWIW:

dimensions are 17” wide at lower bout

4 1/2 “ deep at sides

body is 20 “ top to bottom

(Numbers added by me)

Originally posted by Emory View Post

(1) Leave that in a case for a decade? (2) A year to sand nut & bridge? And sometimes I think I procrastinate too much... thoughts (choose as many as wish): (3) you maybe have too many guitars if you can put that aside for so long; like me you have creeping dementia and forgot you had it; you like to age guitars like fine wine before imbibing (still in France?)....
                            (4) Do you know if Mr Binh is still in business? Might give me excuse for field trip. Not too blingy for me (I live in Thailand... Thai temples as bling as can be). Love that guitar... and (5)enjoy your posts
                            (1) yup. The bridge was ridiculously high. Dunno WTF Binh was thinking.
                            (2) yup. Boy I was getting pissed too.
                            (3) yup. I have too many steel-string acoustic guitars.
                            (4)yes he is. His Facebook page is https://m.facebook.com/guitarbinh/
                            (5) Thanks

Katopp might have more up to date contact info. It’s worth flying to Saigon just to visit Guitar Street.

I haven’t been back since 2017. It’s only 45 minutes from BGK.

Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 05-30-2019, 09:56 PM.

Comment

In regards to Binh - just take a look at his Facebook Page. I haven't bought a guitar in years. I have everything I need and more. Sad, but true, I can go into any guitar shop and pick any guitar and I can say: nice, but I have better. Or at least as good. I fact, I am thinning the herd. Not aggressively, more on a "donate a guitar to someone who needs it" and "give it to a good friend" basis. The only guitar that could possibly tickle my interest would be a carbon. But those are still prohibitively expensive and well beyond what I would want to spend for just another guitar.
                              Yes. Guitar Street is worth a visit, but beware. Most of the shops are selling Chinese made stuff and very few of them - foremost Binh and his brother and a shop on the other side of the road whose name escapes me - are worth shopping at.

Edit: Explanation: you have different kinds of instruments there. The lowest grade is Chinese made for the VN market. Price is around two meal deals at McD. Ugly. Avoid. Then there is the VN made instrument for the domestic market. Still bad, slightly more expensive. Priced like two bucket meals at KFC. Still avoid. Then you have the generic Chinese or VN stuff that goes to the $100+ range. Some of that is actually pretty, but the wood isn't dried and I still would rather pass. A step above you have the VN (or sometimes CN) made semiprofessional stuff. Still cheap, still pass, given the low price difference. Top notch are the handmade instruments from the masters of the trade. Binh and his brother and the shop across the street. Problem is, they also sell everything from the VN domestic upwards. Binh now runs a CNC set for machining necks ... you only do that if you have a constant high throughput. And, of course, they will sell you a VN domestic or semiprofessional instrument for "tourist prices" if they can. They have to live, too. And as a tourist, you pay more than a Vietnamese. So get there, by any means, pay a visit, but be careful what to buy. If it's too good to be true, it is too good to be true. Rather go to a shop like Binh's, which has a reputation, mention Etienne or myself and HarmonyCentral when at Binh and don't pick from anything but the top shelf. Yes, more expensive, but still a steal. I have 8 Binh and only two slight issues with one guitar sticking up the 13th fret and another showing sign of stress during winter. Most amazingly, the stressed guitar isn't the lightest built, but a rather more substantial all-Koa Jumbo.
                              Last edited by katopp; 06-01-2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X