10 YEARS IN

poppytater

• Members

OK after 10 years with guitar here's what I know. Talent IS real.no doubt. Guitar is fun. Price is no indicator of sound, price is an indicator of build quality.People hear what they expect to hear Electric guitars are a ton of fun. Acoustics DO sound better with age.Do not trade in a guitar at a guitar shop, sell it yourself. Acoustic guitars and front porches go together like pb&j. I love guitars,

• Members

Heck, I coulda told you most of that. What took you so long? ;) I play electric but I'm an acoustic guy at heart. If electrics are "fun" for you, great. Not sure I agree with the "better with age" thing either but that's what makes horse races.

• Members

Welcome back, Poppy. And, yes, talent is real but only as a word. Defining it is a moving target and the subjective ascription of those who've read into it what they imagine it to be. The defining of it is, to me, a word coined to capture an imagined state of being, i.e., it doesn't actually exist. I prefer the word skilled, as in skill is real, instead. Those who've achieved it are said to be talented by those who have not. I know, you can't even ring the doorbell without getting some form of inquisition. But, hey, that's me.

• Members
Welcome back' date=' Poppy. And, yes, talent is real but only as a word. . . .[/quote']

Going to disagree there. Talent is real and it defines how far you can develop your "skills." A former roommate of mine was an art student and he told me once, "Anyone can draw." Sorry but No, they can't. I can play guitar. I have skills. But how far I can take those skills is limited. Not by how much I'm willing/able to practice or how great my instrument is but by my inbuilt limitations. That's the "talent" part IMHO. As always, YMMV.

• Members

I thought it was “anyone can cook?”

As for talent not being a skill, I’m not so sure. Some people are just late bloomers or realize that talented people work hard in their craft. They just don’t get sick of it and quit as early.

• Members

I think dexterity, hand eye coordination, and the ability to hear and remember melodies (as examples) are at least partially baked in when we're born. People that have all of those find it easy to learn and they get positive feedback, which further motivates them to practice.

I think I could have been a good basketball player, but I'm just under 5'8" and can't jump high enough to dunk a ball no matter how hard I practice. So I quit that and focus on sports that suit my natural strengths.

Archived