What budget Acoustic-Electric guitar to choose for newbie?

European667

• Members

Hello all, I have finally decided to follow one of my dreams - music. I had done some mixing and songs some time back, but only electronically so I have decided to buy guitar.

After some research I found Acoustic-Electric guitar to be one for me, I do have audio interface where I can plug in and bunch of various cables (What may and may not work) like XLS also condenser mic setup. Also I am more into rock music so I dont think classical is way to go foe me and with electronics maybe I can do some distortion or future proof a bit.

Guess for now I will mainly play without plugging it in.

I am not looking to spend much, but I want through some local shops and have found some variations to check out and maybe someone can give some suggestions for what to go.

Sx Guirars - SX SD204CE-TRD ~ 100 euros

Grimshaw Nashville GSD-60-CEBK (Various colors) ~ 100 euros

Cort AD810E OP (Most expensive) ~ 140 euros

Stagg SA20A BLK VT ~ 100 euros

Stagg SA20D SNB EQ ~ 100 Euros

Yosemite DNCE-BLS ~ 100 euros

Take in mind I dont know how to play and I mainly plan to learn by myself, there are some people I know who used to play also (about 10-20 years back) so guitar is partially for them also.

I have heard about Cort and Stagg brands, but I am currently thinking about Grimshaw Nashville GSD-60

• Members

None of the above. If you're a beginner, you don't need an acoustic/electric. Get a straight acoustic and learn to play first. Of those specific brands, Cort. They're the second largest maker of guitars in the world, they make guitars under a number of brand names, and their own brand is as good as most of what's out there. It's possible to get an amazing guitar in an unknown brand. My old Sakura 12-string is proof of that. But you're more likely to get quality by buying a brand name.

• Members
Hello all, I have finally decided to follow one of my dreams - music. I had done some mixing and songs some time back, but only electronically so I have decided to buy guitar.

After some research I found Acoustic-Electric guitar to be one for me, I do have audio interface where I can plug in and bunch of various cables (What may and may not work) like XLS also condenser mic setup. Also I am more into rock music so I dont think classical is way to go foe me and with electronics maybe I can do some distortion or future proof a bit.

Guess for now I will mainly play without plugging it in.

I am not looking to spend much, but I want through some local shops and have found some variations to check out and maybe someone can give some suggestions for what to go.

Sx Guirars - SX SD204CE-TRD ~ 100 euros

Grimshaw Nashville GSD-60-CEBK (Various colors) ~ 100 euros

Cort AD810E OP (Most expensive) ~ 140 euros

Stagg SA20A BLK VT ~ 100 euros

Stagg SA20D SNB EQ ~ 100 Euros

Yosemite DNCE-BLS ~ 100 euros

Take in mind I dont know how to play and I mainly plan to learn by myself, there are some people I know who used to play also (about 10-20 years back) so guitar is partially for them also.

I have heard about Cort and Stagg brands, but I am currently thinking about Grimshaw Nashville GSD-60

This is a very difficult budget to work with. Forget about the pick up right now.

Try looking at used stuff, take along someone that plays.

Yamaha has nice reviews.

None of this stuff comes with a case, you'll want an electronic tuner too and maybe a capo.

He's my picks for a decent starter.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fg800m.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fs800_nt.htm

• Moderators

With a budget preference in the 100€ range, you are likely going to get a dog with a bad piezo, chunky neck, indiscriminate action and flat tone. I [and others here] generally advise beginners to take a knowledgeable guitarist friend along to help clarify the plus/minus on first guitars, all part of the learning process.

If you are serious, then I will echo what others have said: start hitting the pawn shops. Find a better quality used instrument.

Why? Well you may ask...I will venture to say that tens of millions of these 'inexpensive starter' guitars are sitting idly in closets, garages, under beds all over the civilized world because the buyer found them hard to play, uninspiring, crappy sounding...because for the most part they are; but let's add to that that many beginners are not up to the demands of daily practice, callus building and learning the language of music.

I also saw where you 'rejected' classical guitars, but I will admonish you that nylon string guitars are easier to work with as a beginner, and there are better choices in your price range in the classical guitar pantheon for beginners than with steel string acoustics. Like most beginners you want to see yourself competing in the Olympics before you even try on a pair of athletic shoes. Patience and dedication are the primary qualities of all musicians because it takes a lot of time and practice to develop even the basic proficiency.

Lets go to the next step as well: do you have a teacher lined up? A book? An instructional website? Because learning guitar by osmosis or trial and error is not going to work.

• Members

https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?ca_id=102020&it_id=1267&page=1

Looks like an excellent choice. I'd like a crack at that guitar.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Annecdotal - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cort_Guitars

[h=3]Contract production[/h] Cort's main production focus is not on Cort-brand guitars, but rather on contract work for numerous other companies. Generally, large companies contract Cort to build lower-priced guitars that have that company's brand on them. Ibanez, Parkwood, Squier, G&L Tribute series line of guitars are among the most well-known brands that Cort produces. In recent years, small companies known for extremely high quality (and high-priced) guitars have begun contracting Cort to produce budget line models. Avalon, based out of Northern Ireland, sold 8,000 guitars and more than doubled their income from the previous year when they contracted Cort to build a lower-priced guitar for them.

Archived