Epiphone Ltd. Ed. Peter Frampton "1964" Texan

Phil O'Keefe

I was pleasantly surprised by this relatively inexpensive sig model. To check out the full review, click here.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"frampton-64-texan-main-ec18ddfe.jpg","data-attachmentid":32519048}[/ATTACH]

And as always, if you have any questions or comments about either the guitar or the review, please feel free to post them here.

• Members

The video is unplugged. It has a tight sound box that doesn't get much sound out. Of course, these internet sound bites can't be wholly trusted so I reserve a conclusion about it for my own hands-on judgement.

• Members

Hi Phil

Nice add to the reviews. I was looking for another acoustic that I could play out with. Had a couple dreads and always wanted a slope shoulder, lusting after the Gib J-45 (but could not afford or justify one). The Texan was on my list.

I see that the PF one has some interesting differences from the standard Texan, most notably the LR Baggs Electronics.

I played one (not the PF) and it was good. Then looked at and played the Epi Masterbilt AJ45ME (a J-45 clone). WOW...That was NICE. And $100 less than the PF Texan. About $200 more than the regular Texan.

The AJ45ME has a 24.75 inch Gibson scale, which makes it really interesting to have in the stable, different from all my other acoustics. It is all solid tone woods and has a rosewood fingerboard, the PF Texan has pau ferro. Satin finish neck, whereas the PF Texan is gloss (I believe). The AJ45ME has Grover 18:1 tuners, which are good and smooth. The PF has upgraded tuners, as well, the regular Texan does not (epi 14:1).

The PF Texan has LR Baggs electronics. I have another LR Baggs preamp in another acoustic and it performs very well, when amplified. The Shadow nanoflex in the AJ45ME is also very good....and has separate bass and treb controls...which are nice to have. One advantage of the Shadow system, is that...if you found it was needed, you could easily add their nanomag pickup to the guitar, replacing the nanoflex…..it looks like a simple plug in. [not sure the shadow preamps or pickups are compatible with others....different impedance]

I have found a slope shoulder dread really great to have. I would encourage anyone interested in expanding their collection to consider one. Have had an Epi Masterbilt in the past...sorry I sold it....glad to have another.

All the best

John

Peter Frampton, eh? I seem to remember people in the crowd at the 1968 Sunbury Music festival throwing beer cans at The Herd (which he fronted IIRC) because they were so bad.

Those were the days.

I never saw The Herd, but I saw Peter play at a private show at The Grove in Anaheim in January, and he most definitely did not suck. He’s a great guitarist. Good singer too. He puts on a good show. Very entertaining.

He’s retiring after his current tour due to some medical issues, so if anyone wants to catch his show, this is your last opportunity to do so...

• Members

Back in like the late 70 Frampton Comes Alive was a biggie. I have the vinyl album and now the CD.

I really wanted to see him live.

FF about 15 years.

I was looking for something do with an old gf that I had back in the early 90's We took a drive from her house in NH and saw Peter at Pearl Street in Northampton MA. He ran through all his big hits and then some.

Funny thing is I almost didn't recognize him, the long curly locks were all gone.

I was front and center and so close to him I could have controlled his stomp boxes with my hand.

Great show, great memories. Sexy gal, but it didn't work out.

I can't speak for the new Epiphone Texas, but it's not bad at all. Bagg makes a lovely pick up system.

Archived