"The sound of the strings"

Idunno

• Members

I was reading some posts in another acoustic forum on the topic of strings. One of the posters actually thinks the brilliance in the sound of new strings is the noise of the strings alone, predominantly in isolation from the guitar, and that they require a settling in period before the guitar itself can come through. The poster has respectable skills and experience so I would not pass the opinion he has off as the notion of an average inexperienced (rank noob) player. Or, is he in that respect?

It got me thinking that his idea of the sound of new strings is probably shared by many, evidenced by the frequent comments I read about preferring "played-in" strings, and it's kind of upsetting thinking that his notion of string noise has taken root with so many players. I suppose new string brilliance, which is emitted by the guitar alone and not in isolation from it, is not the sound those people want to hear from their guitars. They prefer the decayed sound of strings that have lost their initial brilliance, evidently, but to contribute it as the sound of the strings alone is plainly a mark of ignorance.

I had to leave the forum before I let it get to me enough to leave a knee-jerk rebuttal of unflattering character. I don't carry candy wrappers anymore. Trying to save the planet from their dishonest use.

• Members

Oxidation, oils, and crud in the string make them lose there brilliance.

New strings are not my favorite sound and I like strings that have settled in a bit.

I try not to get too tone crazy.

• Members

i suppose the same set of new strings would sound different on a different guitar , so in that respect it isn`t the sound of the strings alone, ,i suppose some guitars would maybe sound brighter than others,if thats what your getting at.. but still . i agree with the guy,new strings sound rattly and too bright .But i think different styles of music and different styles of playing may benefit and may be inspired by the sound of new strings . The sound of some guitars is pretty bad when the strings deaden .whereas some guitars keep a pleasant sound even with old strings , i have an expensive telly and the strings are very old on it and yet it sounds great ,i also have a reasonable strat copy with old strings on that one sounds not so good acoustically but good plugged in . there are some people who just like the brrrrinnngggg sound of new strings on acoustics,i don`t it`s like the equivalent of a big poodle perm,yuk.

• Members

I've noticed that it takes at least a few minutes for uncoated strings to sound like they're really driving the top. But... that initial zingyness sounds great in its own way.

Elixirs seem to take at least 20 minutes of playing before they start sounding good.

• Members

I'm not crazy about the sound of brand new strings either. They seem harsh and clangy, for want of a better word. My last few sets have been Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze and they sound pretty good for a reasonable period of time, IMHO.

• Members
I'm not crazy about the sound of brand new strings either. They seem harsh and clangy' date=' for want of a better word. My last few sets have been Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze and they sound pretty good for a reasonable period of time, IMHO.[/quote']

I keep coming back to dAddario 80/20's

• Members

I use 80/20s too (but not D'Addairio) - but I often use their 85/15 bronze (brass) - good strings.

But these days I do most (75%+) of my playing on nylon strings. And mostly with La Bella strings.

• Members

I keep coming back to Elixer PB's on all the acoustics, D'Addarios on the electrics and Thomastic flatwounds on the jazz box. D'Addarios on customer guitars unless they have a preference. And I change them every six months or so, depending on the guitar.

• Members

I also love new strings. With uncoated strings I think they sound best at about the same point as the tuning stabilises - about 10 minutes of playing. It's all slowly downhill from there in terms of tone and intonation. I do a lot of bending, which is hard on them.

• Members
this has turned into a favourite packet of strings thread ' date='it`s like the bottle gets kicked over and out pours ...something[/quote']

Sure. We're all talking about what works for us, in our situation. Sure, what the top is made of, the shape of the guitar, etc. all make a difference, but the biggest difference for a given guitar is different strings.

• Members

I accidentally discovered that 80/20 strings eliminated G string binding at the nut and used them for years until I finally replaced the nut with TUSQ. I still have no idea why. :idk:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Strings are their own ball game. The gauge of the string effects the sound and longevity of the string immensely. The construction of the guitar and thickness of the braces and top will all sound differently. Medium gauge strings on my old custom guitar sounded fantastic when first put on and lasted forever. Right now my only guitar is a Yamaha LS16R ARE which in english means an acoustic electric LS16 with solid rosewood back and sides. I have light gauge Martin Marquis on it that sound tinny and dead. I just ordered some Daddario EJ17 Medium, Phosphor Bronze to put on it and if I don't kill my fingers it'll probably sound wonderful. Gettin tired of strings going dead so quickly which is what lights do. Not too worried about bellying the top because Yammie solid woods braces aren't scalloped and they could be used to build a skyscraper. lol I might have to do a new setup on the guitar and file the nut a bit so the strings fit in the grooves properly and possibly or mostly adjust the neck. New string sound is partially strings stretching and seating in the nut and on the saddle. Hi everyone.

• Members

Hi. I figure about 4 days after I put new strings on they hit their point of perfection. That lasts about a week. Similar to french fries: right out of the grease will burn your mouth, wait too long and may as well be eating lumps of glue.

• Members
Strings are their own ball game. The gauge of the string effects the sound and longevity of the string immensely. The construction of the guitar and thickness of the braces and top will all sound differently. Medium gauge strings on my old custom guitar sounded fantastic when first put on and lasted forever. Right now my only guitar is a Yamaha LS16R ARE which in english means an acoustic electric LS16 with solid rosewood back and sides. I have light gauge Martin Marquis on it that sound tinny and dead. I just ordered some Daddario EJ17 Medium, Phosphor Bronze to put on it and if I don't kill my fingers it'll probably sound wonderful. Gettin tired of strings going dead so quickly which is what lights do. Not too worried about bellying the top because Yammie solid woods braces aren't scalloped and they could be used to build a skyscraper. lol I might have to do a new setup on the guitar and file the nut a bit so the strings fit in the grooves properly and possibly or mostly adjust the neck. New string sound is partially strings stretching and seating in the nut and on the saddle. Hi everyone.

Hey Al! Great to see you.

Archived