VOM1T March, 2019

DeepEnd

• Members

Welcome to the March, 2019 VOM1T. Since garthman is in Spain, I'll be your volunteer host.

Let's start with another "twofer" from me. First, a cover of Peter Paul and Mary's "In The Early Morning Rain": https://soundcloud.com/david-phelps-681437607/in-the-early-morning-rain.

Second, this month we celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Most of you might also remember that I'm a science fiction fan, and that there's a tradition of Sci-Fi/Fantasy themed songs called "filk." Herewith is an original filk song titled, "Don't Look At The Laser (With Your Remaining Eye)," which incorporates elements of both. Enjoy and maybe get a chuckle: https://soundcloud.com/david-phelps-681437607/dont-look-at-the-laser-with-your-remaining-eye.

• Members

Gosh already?

I stumbled across this in my ancient files. Very different from my usual offerings.

My guitar sounds like a million bucks. dunno when or how I recorded it.

somewhere, somehow in Saigon.

https://soundcloud.com/louparte/a-ni...erkley/s-JZdtB

I’ll review everyone’s entry when I get back home myself.

I’ve left the arms of Miss Zippy this week-end & fled to the embrace

of that notorious old floozy Lousy Anna.

• Members

Etienne Rambert - Well done. That's a favorite song of mine. I first heard Manhattan Transfer's version and fell in love with it. Interestingly, they don't include the "Fred Astaire" line. BTW, you're right about your guitar. It sounds very good.

• Members
Loved Don’t Look At The Laser Deep End. As always, very clever lyrics.

I liked your steady strum on the Lightfoot tune too.

I have a hard time doing that anymore. I can still finger-style reasonably

well though.

Thanks. I can fingerpick a bit but it always sounds lame to me. I wouldn't be able to do it fast enough for that song anyway. I usually default to strumming.

• Members
Welcome to the March, 2019 VOM1T. Since garthman is in Spain, I'll be your volunteer host.

Let's start with another "twofer" from me. First, a cover of Peter Paul and Mary's "In The Early Morning Rain": https://soundcloud.com/david-phelps-681437607/in-the-early-morning-rain.

Second, this month we celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Most of you might also remember that I'm a science fiction fan, and that there's a tradition of Sci-Fi/Fantasy themed songs called "filk." Herewith is an original filk song titled, "Don't Look At The Laser (With Your Remaining Eye)," which incorporates elements of both. Enjoy and maybe get a chuckle: https://soundcloud.com/david-phelps-681437607/dont-look-at-the-laser-with-your-remaining-eye.

Hi deepend ,good stuff ,nice job on the Peter Paul and Mary tune, i like your original, great lyrics, i was trying to guess your lyrics as it went along, the one i find amusing was his remaining toe ,so he can`t have had much luck regards his other toes ha ha . nice one .

• Members
Gosh already?

I stumbled across this in my ancient files. Very different from my usual offerings.

My guitar sounds like a million bucks. dunno when or how I recorded it.

somewhere, somehow in Saigon.

https://soundcloud.com/louparte/a-ni...erkley/s-JZdtB

I’ll review everyone’s entry when I get back home myself.

I’ve left the arms of Miss Zippy this week-end & fled to the embrace

of that notorious old floozy Lousy Anna.

very nice Etienne lovely guitar and very expressive lyrics ,i enjoyed that

• Members

here`s mine this month, i too have recently been browsing through old recordings, this is an old 4 track recording of a female singer i used to be in bands with ,we recorded this on a cheap old Amstrad Studio 100 4 track cassette recorder back in the 90`s . i hardly ever played acoustic guitars round this period i was "strikly elektrikity" (soz), i hope she doesn`t learn of this been posted,Carole King that is. the singer did an amazing job on this version of You`ve Got A Friend.

https://soundcloud.com/user-28258494...e-got-a-friend

• Members
catscurlyear - I really wanted to hear your own mellifluous voice but your friend did an impressive job on a classic song. Thanks for posting it. :thu:

Thanks deepend, I had to look up that word "mellifluous",so that`s why i send people to sleep when i open my mouth ,lol... . yes she has a great voice ,i would pass on your compliments but i haven`t seen her for a few years now.

• Members
Hi deepend ' date='good stuff ,nice job on the Peter Paul and Mary tune, i like your original, great lyrics, i was trying to guess your lyrics as it went along, the one i find amusing was his remaining toe ,so he can`t have had much luck regards his other toes ha ha . nice one .[/quote']

Thanks. I'm not 100% happy with that particular lyric and I've thought about changing it but it's hard to rhyme with "foot."

• Members

I read in one of the Off Topic Forums that the Political types didn't like it. Your guess is as good as mine.

probs like to make statements ,and don`t like their preaching messed up with comments . talking at you and not with you. we are not worthy ,no more free speech.

• Members
don`t skip into the acid with your remaining foot

if you hop into the acid ,hope will be kerput.

if you go into the acid ,you would surely be a nut

no more walking upright , you will slide like Jabba the Hutt,,,,,,ha ha

Or maybe:

Don't step into the acid with your remaining foot.

If you step into the acid, it will burn you black as soot.

And then you'll limp and hobble as your toes all go kaput.

Don't step into the acid with your remaining foot.

;)

• Members
here`s mine this month, i too have recently been browsing through old recordings, this is an old 4 track recording of a female singer i used to be in bands with ,we recorded this on a cheap old Amstrad Studio 100 4 track cassette recorder back in the 90`s . i hardly ever played acoustic guitars round this period i was "strikly elektrikity" (soz), i hope she doesn`t learn of this been posted,Carole King that is. the singer did an amazing job on this version of You`ve Got A Friend.

https://soundcloud.com/user-28258494...e-got-a-friend

She has a lovely voice. I wish I could work w/ a woman who sang like her.

Your playing & the recording as always are pro-level.

Piezo barks a bit (as do they all) but your playing is flawless.

• Members

Thanks Etienne ,She has a lovely voice. I wish I could work w/ a woman who sang like her.

Your playing & the recording as always are pro-level.

Piezo barks a bit (as do they all) but your playing is flawless.

thanks Etienne,yes excellent voice ,i worked with her in quite a few different projects.

The guitar on this was an Ovation copy, think it was a Columbus or something

and was set up nearly like an electric with bendy strings and the works, it was passive with vol and tone no pre amp or anything.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sorry, I really take offense at your using the name of David Phelps for your song account wherever that is. David is a world class singer, possibly the finest tenor in the world, and while he would encourage you to keep singing, he wouldn't like you using his name. He is also a friend, as is is his wife Lori, her cousin Jack Daniels who is also David's steel guitar/piano/mandolin player/now retired. I will be at his farm in TN on Labor Day Weekend all weekend for a Barn Bash and am very active in three of his fan clubs.

• Members
Sorry' date=' I really take offense at your using the name of David Phelps for your song account wherever that is. David is a world class singer, possibly the finest tenor in the world, and while he would encourage you to keep singing, he wouldn't like you using his name. He is also a friend, as is is his wife Lori, her cousin Jack Daniels who is also David's steel guitar/piano/mandolin player/now retired. I will be at his farm in TN on Labor Day Weekend all weekend for a Barn Bash and am very active in three of his fan clubs.[/quote']

David Phelps happens to be my real name. I can't change that just because you don't like it. And if you're referring to the David Phelps who is associated with the Gaithers, I own one of his CDs and he is very talented but he was born 16 1/2 years after I was so if anything I have prior claim to the name. ;)

• Members
Now that's funny. Sorry for the attack but he is a good friend of mine. Better change your name. lol. He's no longer with the GVB and is going it alone' date=' but still does gigs for Gaither.[/quote']

I didn't take it as an attack, more of a What The Heck? moment. At least some folks at my home church know about the two of us and we all find it more amusing than anything else. It's not like I'm impersonating him so I think I'll keep my name. ;)

Archived