VOM1T February 2019

DeepEnd

• Members

Since it doesn't look like anyone else is going to start this month's VOM, I will.

First, an original titled "Dead Men Walking": https://soundcloud.com/david-phelps-...ad-men-walking

Second, since we celebrated Valentine's Day a week or so ago, a reprise of my cover of "Make You Feel My Love": https://soundcloud.com/david-phelps-...u-feel-my-love

Don't leave me hanging out here by myself. Please post your own submissions. The more the merrier. ;)

• Members
Gosh I hope some more posters show up.

I liked 'em both. I liked your original more. Lyrical images are excellent.

It needs a choir arrangement.

So do I. garthman hasn't even posted in over two weeks and he normally starts these things. :( Where's catscurlyear? MrHarryReems?

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I've done choral arrangements before but most of my output is strictly for me.

• Members

Hi Deepend ,well done for volunteering the Vom1t ,you missed out the 1t on vom1t or was that just for copyright reasons lol ,nice tracks you put up i like the original, very catchy and clever lyrics .

I hope Howard is ok i always enjoy the songs he puts up he has a great taste in music.

my contribution this month i recorded on my old Tascam 246 4 track cassette recorder i wanted to see the difference between recording to tape and recording digital,, the 4 track does have a nice mixer built in it though but i didn`t use it but it will have quality pre amps ,i used the same guitar, mic and config to record two versions of Strawberry Fields .the first version is the 4 track tape machine the second is recorded into digital cubase thanks

https://soundcloud.com/user-28258494...awberry-fields

• Members
catscurlyear: nice tune i like the chords and very good recording i have a song with similar chords on the bridge section i`ll put it up at some point and send you a link and you`ll see what i mean ,

Please do post it.

I wanted to compose something w/ an extended bridge a'la CHERISH by the Association. That was my attempt. I was sketching it out over this Valentines' Day.

I never got around to fleshing out the melody line. But it's good absinthe music. I'm working on a series of songs for listening to while drinking absinthe.

It has a strong bass line & percussion. Guitar is ok, a bit heavy on the piezo quack. I always over-do the K-1 string pad.

There is an implied melody in there though - at the end of each phrase & coming out of the bridge.

STRAWBERRY FIELDS: Superb playing - as usual. You're a real pro.

Your guitar playing & singing are spot-on.

Excellent recording too.

• Members
Hi Deepend ,well done for volunteering the Vom1t ,you missed out the 1t on vom1t or was that just for copyright reasons lol ,nice tracks you put up i like the original, very catchy and clever lyrics .

I hope Howard is ok i always enjoy the songs he puts up he has a great taste in music.

my contribution this month i recorded on my old Tascam 246 4 track cassette recorder i wanted to see the difference between recording to tape and recording digital,, the 4 track does have a nice mixer built in it though but i didn`t use it but it will have quality pre amps ,i used the same guitar, mic and config to record two versions of Strawberry Fields .the first version is the 4 track tape machine the second is recorded into digital cubase thanks

Sometimes we just call it "The VOM" so I didn't worry too much about the "1T" part. I've edited my original post to change the thread title. ;)

Both versions were very well done. I didn't notice much difference beyond the style of guitar playing. The digital version did sound a bit "brighter" but that's about all.

• Members

Please do post it.

I wanted to compose something w/ an extended bridge a'la CHERISH by the Association. That was my attempt. I was sketching it out over this Valentines' Day.

I never got around to fleshing out the melody line. But it's good absinthe music. I'm working on a series of songs for listening to while drinking absinthe.

It has a strong bass line & percussion. Guitar is ok, a bit heavy on the piezo quack. I always over-do the K-1 string pad.

There is an implied melody in there though - at the end of each phrase & coming out of the bridge.

Hi Etienne this is the track ,i wrote it originally in the 80`s and re recorded it again a couple of years ago in cubase along with some friends, a singer, a bassist and sax player..It`s not got as many exotic chords as your song

• Members

Hi Etienne this is the track ,i wrote it originally in the 80`s and re recorded it again a couple of years ago in cubase along with some friends, a singer, a bassist and sax player..It`s not got as many exotic chords as your song

I woke up & listened 3 times.

It's good morning music catscurlyear. Love those 80's synth sounds too.

That's a good song to get you going in the morning.

• Members
Hi Etienne this is the track ' date='i wrote it originally in the 80`s and re recorded it again a couple of years ago in cubase along with some friends, a singer, a bassist and sax player..It`s not got as many exotic chords as your song
[/quote']

Very well done all around. I've heard far worse on the radio. Thanks for posting that. :thu:

• Members

Well, guys, it looks like we're it for this month. If garthman hasn't started a VOM1T by next time I'll start it again myself. Maybe in the meantime we'll find out what happened to him. I'll also post an invitation in Electric Guitars, Keys etc., Folk etc., Vocals etc., Open Jam, and anyplace else that seems appropriate. Figure on Saturday, March 16 for a beginning. See you then.

• Members

Both versions were very well done. I didn't notice much difference beyond the style of guitar playing. The digital version did sound a bit "brighter" but that's about all.

thanks for the listen deepend ,both formats have their plus and minus ,tape defiantly has more body and warmth about it and requires less fiddleing and searching for tone ,it sounds more complete ,i will definitely use it more ,digital is very flexible and limitless and cheap.

• Members
. . . . . . . Well' date=' guys, it looks like we're it for this month. If garthman hasn't started a VOM1T by next time I'll start it again myself. Maybe in the meantime we'll find out what happened to him. . . . . .[/quote']

Hello everyone.

Sorry for my absence of late. Nothing untoward: I've been very busy organizing and participating in a local folk club - also an open mic session - and have taken advantage of the amazing hot spell that the UK has enjoyed for the past week or so to do some much-needed outdoor maintenance work.

So many thanks, Deepend, for doing the honours in my absence - and perhaps you will do the same in March because I shall be away in Spain on the 3rd weekend in March.

Just to keep the VOM going, here is a new recording of a Breton folk song I posted last year.

Kimiad

https://app.box.com/s/3kj0hii2iek5y69nrdimijmjltb04otf

• Members
Hello everyone.

Sorry for my absence of late. Nothing untoward: I've been very busy organizing and participating in a local folk club - also an open mic session - and have taken advantage of the amazing hot spell that the UK has enjoyed for the past week or so to do some much-needed outdoor maintenance work.

So many thanks, Deepend, for doing the honours in my absence - and perhaps you will do the same in March because I shall be away in Spain on the 3rd weekend in March.

Just to keep the VOM going, here is a new recording of a Breton folk song I posted last year.

Kimiad

https://app.box.com/s/3kj0hii2iek5y69nrdimijmjltb04otf

Glad to hear you're okay, if a bit busy. Nice job on the song. Thanks for contributing. :thu: Hope you enjoy Spain. I'll be here later this month if needed.

Archived