Dating an old Silvertone.

rlspencer

• Members

HI all! I have an old silvertone with model number 319 12175100 stamped MADE IN USA on back of headstock. the numbers inside are faded and can only see a 7 as the last number. anyone able to help? this thing sounds sweet holdes sustain and plays very well. ugly as hell someone sanded the top and stuck epiphone stuff on it. I took most of the epi stuff off but they glued a pickguard on it(epi) so I left that.

• Members

Okay I found out it is a 1971 made in the fall. plays well for a 48 year old wide necked piece of... oh yeah it has the space dot too. someone tried to pry it off and stopped. Mine does not look this good but it seems to be the same model(shown is a 72), same colors neck,etc...kpt6dwjdkrcb4usgdkoa.jpg

m9pgln5q6su6kqfp8fk6.jpg

• Members
Looks like you snuck a pic of an Epiphone in there.

Haha! Yeah somebody (before me) put a Epi DR headstock cover plate on it(I took it off) and the Scratch plate is also off an epi. they sanded the top and the back of the neck down to the grain. . I don't want to get in to scrapin the pickgard off right now so that ugly thing will have to stay fer now.

What I "Am" doin is; currently the strings are off, (it was playin just fine) cause I was shinin a light inside the body, lookin around and found two braces loose and three cracks in total. I fixed one crack so far and have the two braces and remaining two cracks glued and settin up. bein a low tech redneck I whittled the jacks from oak branchs. my clamp is ; the floor, a wooden pig cuttin board, two BIG cans of pork and seven bags of dried beans. yaller wood glue. used a straw to "blow" HOT glue water into the cracks then blew thick glue til it came out the other side. worked perfect. first crack (TEST) bonded perfectly .

have to use a mirror to look Up underside the top next.

no issues there? slap some Nickel wound Electric Tens on it. tune em down a whole step. and get recordin.

• Members

If the Epi p/g was put on with double stick tape over finish on the guitar it should come off with a little heat from a hair dryer or heat shrink gun. If they used contact cement it may still come off but you'll probably have to clean glue off of the guitar - naphtha is usually safe.

Regluing braces is always tricky, as is gluing and cleating cracks. I've got a whole arsenal of clamps and cauls and it seems like they are never quite right. Good luck with yours

• Members

HI Freeman Keller. I'm rick. an olde guitar strangler among othre things. like a doctor settin a bone, on the shoulder I was able to work/openup the first crack back and forth and this way and that til it slipped together like a puzzle piece. yes I wanted was some magnets, a cleat and clamp and whatnot. what I had was two hands and a brain. and some glue.

I giggled whan I saw the repair the next day. it was good as it gets.

Braces>>I saw a vid where dude cuts some jacks and clamps the top, so made some jacks from an oak tree branch (pics to come)and improvised the rest. this time it worked.

I wish to get a tusq nut and bridge and bridge pins.or a compensated bridge and wooden pins. I could not get the bridge piece out. what do you think it is made from, Keller? I think plastic.

top/neck is sanded so I need to treat that.

thinkin about sandin all the black paint off and goin with a light lacquer >

Dressed the fret edges as they were sharp and now smooth as a babys ear.

**also need to tune up the tuners. needs a tuner peg ring.

according to the original ad the neck has been "Ebonized", which, after the black paint, (fret markers are painted on) is removed from the neck/fretboard means one sees it has an ebony fretboard over a birdseye maple neck.

• Members

Took out jacks. glued great. nice and neat. slammed some strings on it and hoo child! this thang is boomy and even more sustainy. crisp highs rolling lows. clear mids. notes just roll off and out. no need for any upgrades this thing is tuned perfectly. intonated just right. the tone is heavenly. frets like a dream.

840956d1cd3735991c0d92b58536ef79.thumb.jpg.74571dca489715bd5a7b98280fd2131b.jpg

09f4d7c71ec1fa7a6e6e2e6f19bd1d26.thumb.jpg.abf6040e8fa053dba39639b3ed8f91f2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Glad to hear the resurrection of the Silvertone went well. Best of continued luck with it and thanks for posting the vid. Incidentally, once a month HCAG has a virtual open mike and the next is scheduled for this weekend, barring unforeseen circumstances. Consider this your invitation to contribute. :thu:

• Members
that would be cool. got a mean version of "I shot de sheriff" that sounds great on this little axe. . just need a decent mic. somthin i aint got.

Vids are cool too. For that matter, you should be able to pick up a used mic fairly inexpensively. Mine is a Samson condenser I found on CraigsList for $35. It's not pro quality but it meets my humble needs. Musicians Friend occasionally features one mic or another as their Stupid Deal Of The Day.

Archived