Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

You'd think I'd learn by now (re: guitar building)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'd think I'd learn by now (re: guitar building)

It took me over 4 years to finish my first guitar. I'm at 7 years on #2 and now I have designs on #3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	33041688148_6724b49357_z_d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	32473630

Long story short, I traced my Larrivee OM for the mold because I love it and don't own a Martin. I've got pieces accumulating that are telling me to make a Martin-style 000-18VW (walnut.) The top is going to be student grade sitka spruce ($20 from RC Tonewoods...)

Name:	46002891515_e0e45004fb_z_d.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	32473631

...and a bunch of parts that I got from the Martin factory. That's 1/4" bracing with a serviced vintage 24.9" scale neck with a dovetail joint. I want to buy a set of black walnut from StewMac - which is on sale for $72 this week.

Name:	45785869595_1abbee98c4_z_d.jpg
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	32473632

It will essentially an unserviced kit build. I loved the bending experience with EIR and hear that walnut is even more pliable. I hope to kick it off in the spring. I'm about to FINALLY close the body on #2.
    Gear:
    2013 Official Luthier's Forum Medium Jumbo (Western red cedar/mahogany)
    2012 McKnight McUke (soprano ukulele, redwood/mahogany)
    2010 Martin D-16GT
    2006 Larrivee OM-03R
    1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (natural ash finish)
    1989 Kramer Stryker
    197? Epiphone Texan FT-160N

Hey, whadda ya want, speed or quality? Seriously, it's not like you don't have anything else to occupy your time and most of us haven't even attempted a build. Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

I'm rooting for you.

Comment

I'm a project starter but finisher is for someone else. They're all over the man cave from RC boats and planes to stylized carvings of animals. I even have a set of plans from StewMac for an OM that I've collected materials for (aluminum and composite). What I do professionally pretty much over-doses the tinkerer in me, always creating stuff from my own drawings on machine tools, that I tend to let the personal undertakings get dusty. But, I look at it as preparing things to keep me busy when I decide to knock off working. So, I say the more the better. Besides, the longer it takes new ideas emerge that better the project.
        - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

Thanks, guys. You are keeping me honest but I have to confess that guitar is sort of viewed as a closet vice that I have to sneak behind my wife's back on. Stew Mac had a sale and I abused the plastic last night on a set of black walnut that should get here while she is out of town. It set us back $81.

I don't know why I'm feeling guilty; I never spend more than $100 at a time and she doesn't feel it's necessary to advise me when she buys clothes, cosmetics, wine, luggage, etc. Amazon has been leaving a lot of boxes on our doorstep that don't always have my name on them! OTOH, my hints at a new guitar for my 50th well summarily squashed so I gotta do what I gotta do, right? ;o)

Meanwhile, I need to sharpen the blade on my bench plane and whittle together a shooting board.
          Last edited by kwakatak; 02-18-2019, 09:36 AM.
          Gear:
          2013 Official Luthier's Forum Medium Jumbo (Western red cedar/mahogany)
          2012 McKnight McUke (soprano ukulele, redwood/mahogany)
          2010 Martin D-16GT
          2006 Larrivee OM-03R
          1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (natural ash finish)
          1989 Kramer Stryker
          197? Epiphone Texan FT-160N

Comment

Working...
          X