Help me choose an acoustic guitar

russelldavis

• Members

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There are lots and lots of good beginner guitars available. Grab whatever amount of money you wish to commit and pop along to good music store. Play as many guitars as you can within your budget and buy the one you like best.

• Members

None of those you mentioned in you nice little Spam attempt.

Go to a music shop. Brick and Mortar type, best Mom and Pop, not a chain. Try to play whatever they allow you to touch. Bring a guitar playing friend or your teacher with you. Play, play more. Chose without looking at price tag or name.

• Members

Katopp is right. That list is useless. Ignore it, and ignore any other "best buy" lists you find online. They're written to serve the brands they name, not the players who buy them. Go take a guitar-playing friend with you to an indepenent music store and try a few.

Some good, popular beginner brands include Art & Lutherie, Seagull, and Yamaha. Other people here will have other brands to suggest, as well.

Focus on the guitar, not the accessories. The strings it comes with don't matter. They'll be fine, and you'll be replacing them often. Tuners are cheap - you can get a good one for about $20.

Just get something that's comfortable and that you like and can afford. As long as you take someone with you who knows guitars, a used guitar is fine - and costs less.

Don't go overboard. Later, you can read about guitars and talk with other guitar players about guitars. If you decide that you want to stick with it but want something different, get it.

Welcome to Guitarland!

• Members

I second the idea of bringing a guitar playing friend when you look for an instrument. Also, you might want to think about what kind of music you want to play. That should determine what type of instrument you should look for. There are so many more good playing guitars now than when I started playing. In fact, the first one I tried playing was no bueno. It was a late fifties Harmony archtop with pretty heavy strings and probably high action. I was around ten years old and wanted to play like Elvis and Ricky Nelson. I couldn't even push down the strings. Fortunately my parents had just rented it, and we returned it to the music store. I don't know if they do that anymore, but if they do, and they have a rent to buy program, you might want to try that first. The rental deal might be contingent on a certain number of lessons, which might be a good thing.

One of Elvis' first guitars was a Martin 000-18, and Ricky played some big old Gibson jumbos. If you find either one of those kind of guitars, let me know.

• Members

Hi!

There are several good guitars that would last a long time, play well and sound good!

For example, Yamaha FGX-800C, Yamaha FSX-800C, Simon & Patrick Songsmith A3T or the equivalent from Godin (S & P, Seagull, Norman and Art & Lutherie.)

I personnaly chose the Simon & Patrick Songsmith A3T between it the Yamaha FGX-800C becaue of the smaller body shape. The FSX might be a little bit smaller.)

There are other good ones too!

• Members
Hello everyone' date=' I am also new to music and I want to buy my first acoustic guitar, I thought about FENDER, [b']can you advise something?[/b]

Fender should stop make acoustic instruments immediately

It wasn't called Fender Electric Instrument Company, for nothing.

And believe me. I love stuff like Strats and Teles and Fender tube amps.

They only held on to Guild guitar long enough to mess up the company.

• Members
... and Gretsch. And Ovation. The only company not being ruined by FMC was Takamine. Possibly only because they only have been the distributor.

The new Gretsch stuff is really nice. I own a few Fender/Gretsch guitars. Amazing job they did in Japan building them.

I'm sure the custom shop Gretsch stuff is amazing, but it comes with an amazingly high price tag too. You rarely see it in stores.

• Members
. . Fender should stop make acoustic instruments immediately . . .

. . . . . Not Fender! . . . . .

This may have been true when they first started making acoustic guitars but it's not the case for their more recent ones. The new ones are good quality, well-made instruments that play and sound very good. Their entry level mode - the Fender FA-125 - is a decent guitar at a very, very reasonable price.

• Members

This may have been true when they first started making acoustic guitars but it's not the case for their more recent ones. The new ones are good quality, well-made instruments that play and sound very good. Their entry level mode - the Fender FA-125 - is a decent guitar at a very, very reasonable price.

Okay, did some quick research (online reviews) and it seems you may be right. My comment was based on past experience---but things can change.

• Members

Okay, did some quick research (online reviews) and it seems you may be right. My comment was based on past experience---but things can change.

I'd probably look at an import Epiphone or Guild, before a Fender acoustic.

200-300 dollar range. Plus you'll want a case.

I'd probably take it to a luthier and have a nice set up done too.

If it's crap you can always send it back.

Wouldn't bother as a beginner to have or spend extra on a pickup system.

Many of the acoustic at a place like the Guitar Center are drier than firewood, so ordering online would be ok.

• Members

The new Gretsch stuff is really nice. I own a few Fender/Gretsch guitars. Amazing job they did in Japan building them.

I'm sure the custom shop Gretsch stuff is amazing, but it comes with an amazingly high price tag too. You rarely see it in stores.

I have a number of Ovations, the oldest is a 12 string Celebrity from way back. 30 years old possibly. A great guitar by any means.

I also have a Historic Series G3713 Gretsch. Also almost 20 years old now.

And I forgot to mention Guild. Another brand run down by Fender.

In regards to Fender's acoustic guitars, indeed the new Fenders are indeed better than the ...cough... they have done before. But the fact that Fender has run down so many companies makes it hard to swallow a Fender acoustic.

• Members

Fender make good electric guitars! I would not recommend Fender for an acoustic guitar! (And surely not buy a Fender acoustic guitar.) I do own a nice Telecaster, a nice Stratocaster, a nice acoustic fender amp and a nice electric guitar amp, though!

• Members
Hello. Help me to choose a beginner guitar. I want an acoustic guitar with good strings and it would be nice if a tuner were a gift. At one forum I was advised to choose something from this list - (spam link deleted by Phil) What can you recommend?

Hello everyone' date=' I am also new to music and I want to buy my first acoustic guitar, I thought about FENDER, can you advise something?[/quote']

The first post was about 9 days ago, the OP hasn't bothered to come back. Phil deleted his spam link.....

The second post was a few days ago, again, Ssssss hasn't bothered to come back. He/she has one other post asking about metronomes, didn't come back to that one either.

If you google "best acoustic guitar reviews" you will get a lot of meaningless b.s. with a fair number of Fender acoustics of various sizes and shapes. Here is just one example - two Fenders made the list

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-acoustic-electric-guitars?id=adw&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3-feg-Cs4AIVEb3sCh1unwt-EAMYAiAAEgI9ovD_BwE

Phil just reviewed this one and said he was "pleasantly surprised"

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-42/32408804-a-cool-new-acoustic-from-fender

And don't forget that people are going bonkers over the new Fender electric-acoustic-modeling-telecaster thing recently released at NAMM

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/32459946-is-it-acoustic-is-it-electric-is-it-even-a-telecaster

Two thousands bucks for a Mod Knob. If my store brought were to bring in an Acoustasonic I would be interested in playing it - but they say its too expensive and I'm sure I wouldn't buy one.

I don't happen to care for Fender acoustics of any form, but what I'm hearing is that the new Chinese made Fenders are pretty much comparable to all the others so certainly they should be considered. I do see a disproportional number of Fenders with structural issues but again, I shouldn't let that cloud my judgement.

And wouldn't it be nice if these one post wonders actually cared enough to return to their threads.

• Members

The first post was about 9 days ago, the OP hasn't bothered to come back. Phil deleted his spam link.....

The second post was a few days ago, again, Ssssss hasn't bothered to come back. He/she has one other post asking about metronomes, didn't come back to that one either.

If you google "best acoustic guitar reviews" you will get a lot of meaningless b.s. with a fair number of Fender acoustics of various sizes and shapes. Here is just one example - two Fenders made the list

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-acoustic-electric-guitars?id=adw&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3-feg-Cs4AIVEb3sCh1unwt-EAMYAiAAEgI9ovD_BwE

Phil just reviewed this one and said he was "pleasantly surprised"

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-42/32408804-a-cool-new-acoustic-from-fender

And don't forget that people are going bonkers over the new Fender electric-acoustic-modeling-telecaster thing recently released at NAMM

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/32459946-is-it-acoustic-is-it-electric-is-it-even-a-telecaster

Two thousands bucks for a Mod Knob. If my store brought were to bring in an Acoustasonic I would be interested in playing it - but they say its too expensive and I'm sure I wouldn't buy one.

I don't happen to care for Fender acoustics of any form, but what I'm hearing is that the new Chinese made Fenders are pretty much comparable to all the others so certainly they should be considered. I do see a disproportional number of Fenders with structural issues but again, I shouldn't let that cloud my judgement.

And wouldn't it be nice if these one post wonders actually cared enough to return to their threads.

It sure would be.

Even a quick thanks or something.

• Members

You know, it takes a certain amount of effort to create a profile here just to post one question. Most of the time I'm pretty cynical and just ignore them, sometimes its kind of fun to feed the trolls and see if anything happens. I keep hoping they will prove me wrong and come back to become active forum members. Of course I keep hoping for lots of things that never happen......

• Members

The thread was post-mortem before the 1st response. Asking for help in choosing an acoustic guitar has always been akin to asking which air to breathe, IMO. The inquirer has chosen to be cluelessly disconnected from his own curiosity by passing it along. The responses, no matter how well intended, are foolish. My advice to all such inquiries is to get to a store and make a personal study of it. That's my unbiased best help for helpless people.

Archived