Looking to start busking + playing live, any guitar recommendations?

seanf999

• Members

First post!

Okay, I've got roughly $2000 (sold my J45) and a Martin LX1e.

I've been planning on buying a new guitar.

I want to start busking and generally preforming, I want to go to open mic nights and get involved playing music and meeting people.

I'm looking at a Loop pedal and a Roland Street Cube.

I don't want to use the LX1E I'd just be a brown haired Ed Sheeran wannabe.

I've been looking at the 000-15s, I'm just worried if I'm banging on it and using it like a drum kit I might crack the top.

I've also had a look at some 000-28sv models and OM size guitars, plus the Dreadnought Junior, Taylor 514ce, 712e and some others, any suggestions?

Any suggestions? Someone has offered me €300 for the guitar (used with a pattern scratched under the fretboard on the top)... I really like the guitar, have had it from new but maybe it'd make more sense to sell it.

What do you think?

• Members
First post!

Okay, I've got roughly $2000 (sold my J45) and a Martin LX1e.

I've been planning on buying a new guitar.

I want to start busking and generally preforming, I want to go to open mic nights and get involved playing music and meeting people.

I'm looking at a Loop pedal and a Roland Street Cube.

I don't want to use the LX1E I'd just be a brown haired Ed Sheeran wannabe.

I've been looking at the 000-15s, I'm just worried if I'm banging on it and using it like a drum kit I might crack the top.

I've also had a look at some 000-28sv models and OM size guitars, plus the Dreadnought Junior, Taylor 514ce, 712e and some others, any suggestions?

Any suggestions? Someone has offered me €300 for the guitar (used with a pattern scratched under the fretboard on the top)... I really like the guitar, have had it from new but maybe it'd make more sense to sell it.

What do you think?

Those are some pretty nice guitars for street busking.

I have a Roland AC 33, and it's ok. Built-in Looper.

The Fishman Mini Charge looks good.

AER Compact Mobile you should take a look at.

The set you should be light and portable.

I also have a couple of Taylor GS mini's. The scale might be a bit small for you, but they come in a travel bag.

You could go with one of these.

[video=youtube;KXOk4qpasOA]

or these. Just be forwarned. I tried on in the store and it was a piece of junk

[video=youtube;5ig3oD3zATY]

Build your own. This guy does it right.

[video=youtube;EDI3wjzquQc]

• Members

I'm with Mikeo that those are some really nice guitars for street busking. I'd look at maybe an 000X1AE. A bit over $500, less if you can find one used. Essentially made of Formica like your Little Martin so very durable and not affected by the elements as much as an all wood guitar, except for the top. If you still have an itch, that leaves $1500 or so for a second guitar for playing indoors or for other gear. I'd also look at the EX rather than the standard Street Cube. 5 Watts for the standard version isn't a whole lot.

• Members
I'm with Mikeo that those are some really nice guitars for street busking. I'd look at maybe an 000X1AE. A bit over $500' date=' less if you can find one used. Essentially made of Formica like your Little Martin so very durable and not affected by the elements as much as an all wood guitar, except for the top. If you still have an itch, that leaves $1500 or so for a second guitar for playing indoors or for other gear. I'd also look at the EX rather than the standard Street Cube. 5 Watts for the standard version isn't a whole lot.

The Roland Street Cubes are popular too, and have more power and bigger speakers than the AC 33 I own. I just wanted something geared more towards the acoustic guitar.

Since Roland doesn't make a travel bag for these amps. I have mine in a soft side cooler, I got from one of the big Department stores. I have a footswitch in the case too, which turns on a short looper in the AC 33, extra batteries.

I have never really had a complaint about a Roland product breaking down.

Roland also makes a sam battery powered PA called the BA 330. I looked into it when I bought the AC 33.

I know Yamaha, Guild and Epiphone, make some decent lower costs instruments that are street busking worthy.

Don't forget a mic and stand if you sing. The cables, some towels, sunglasses and sunscreen, plenty of water, a hat to pass around, and an exit plan, if the cops come.

One thing to think about is that you can really wear your tail down quickly play in the sun. IT's not like playing in an air-conditioned bar.

These guys are famous now, but some still love hitting the streets.

OCMS

[video=youtube;dxrrswX12dE]

Michael David Rosenberg

[video=youtube;m79TJaB5980]

Ed Sheeran

[video=youtube;3I1GoEpMdYs]

[video=youtube;I8Na13j54CI]

[video=youtube;89PKbJ2NAqc]

[video=youtube;tPwuLLL64HM]

• Members

Glen Hansard had his Take with the hole in the top in the movie Once, R y G played their Yamahas in Dublin, and Joshua Bell played a Strad in the NY subway. Guess you can busk with about anything you want.

If it were me, I would choose something cheap, fairly beat up, loud, but with a good case for all the dough. An old National would be perfect.

• Members

. . . Guess you can busk with about anything you want.

If it were me, I would choose something cheap, fairly beat up, loud, but with a good case for all the dough. . . .

Yep ^ ^ ^ ^

Something cheap and cheerful with a good all-round sound.

A budget Yamaha dreadnought comes to mind . . . . . . . ?

• Members
Glen Hansard had his Take with the hole in the top in the movie Once, R y G played their Yamahas in Dublin, and Joshua Bell played a Strad in the NY subway. Guess you can busk with about anything you want.

If it were me, I would choose something cheap, fairly beat up, loud, but with a good case for all the dough. An old National would be perfect.

Would not hit the road with anything that is worth more than a chicken dinner. Ed Sheeran, Glen Hansard et al had possibly security and/or a gazillion fans around. At least Ed and Traveller had in Dublin. On the streets, you are prone to anything the world throws at you. Rain, dirt (both human and environmental) and it is noisy. So, yes, an old cheap all lam Yam might be not be the worst choice.

I would never ever ever hit the road with a Martin or one of my Binh. Too risky. Not worth it. Same for some of the open mic venues. Most are okay, but, well, some aren't and I've had a - thankfully empty - case stolen. The thief obviously thought, my guitar was in the case, luckily it wasn't...

• Members

Personally, I'd go for a Taylor 214CE DLX. They're a bit pricey for what they are, but I would take extra for gloss over satin and I understand that the ES2 system is pretty darned good. I don't know anything about the Roland but as far as loopers go I got a Digitech Jam Man Solo for about $40. It does the job. For a solo singer/songwriter simpler is better, though admittedly I do like how some use harmony pedals on their vocals. Otherwise you don't need speaker towers and multiple tracks. You might as well just have a stomp box and a tambourine and a shaker egg.

• Members

The Roland is a good choice - the industry standard, in fact. You practically fall over them in New Orleans.

Don't busk with anything you don't want scratched. A used Asian guitar that stays in tune is fine. Or your Martin!

On the street, no one cares what kind of guitar you're playing, and no one is a tone gourmet. They like musicians who are having fun and getting into it. The instrument is way secondary.

I use my old Guild because it's the only acoustic I have and I don't want to go guitar shopping. It's my all-purpose acoustic. Personally, I don't like busking with an amp because it's too much gear to lug and to keep an eye on.

At acoustic open mics, few things annoy hosts more than players who show up with a bunch of gear. They like people who can just plug straight into the PA and start playing. People with pedals and amps create more work for them, and it's more dead time between acts. They want to hop right from one player to another.

And like busking, the audience isn't there to marvel at effects. They want likeable songs properly played.

Archived