VOM1T January 2019

garthman

• Members

The first VOM of the new year so let's make it a good one.

My submission is a song from 1961 written and performed by soul singer William Bell. It was later recorded by other people including Otis Reading, Taj Mahal and The Byrds. I'm doing a stripped down (of course) acoustic version based on The Byrd's take of the song which, since it came from the "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" album (and so probably Gram Parson's idea), had a distinct country feel to it.

1st take:

You Don't Miss Your Water by William Bell

https://app.box.com/s/euya1wcr57uma0ogix8zj5qif2gyrcf2

2nd take:

https://app.box.com/s/s364j28xlz6ji037zrxjnya3f6j5mykm

Both takes recorded via Audacity with a single Toshiba condenser mic through an Avid Mbox. Take one played on my nylon strung Ovation alike with some whistling ( :facepalm: ) and take 2 played on my Crafter dreadnought - no whistling, phew.

• Members

Sadly, nothing from me this time. I'm fighting a nasty cold and I don't do instrumentals. :( So let's move on to everyone else's submissions:

garthman - Well done, both takes. I'm actually envious of anyone who can whistle. I've never been able to do it. :( (And Lauren Bacall to the contrary, it's not as simple as "You just put your lips together and blow." ;))

Etienne Rambert - I could swear I've heard "Bonne Année" before but since you say you haven't posted it previously perhaps not. I've definitely heard "Who Knows?" before. In any event, I enjoyed both of them.

• Members

Bonne Annee sounds very catchy ,instead of the synth doing the chord bend up i`d try a steel guitar sound which could be done on a guitar with bottle neck tuned to a chord if need be and i agree with deepend i`ve heard it before . the second one you released that last month aswell and i enjojed it then also.

• Members

Hi Howard lovely tune from you, i like the nylon string version and the whistling

I haven`t recorded anything this month either so here`s a track,not exactly acoustic from one of my favorite bands AC/DC ,i recorded this some 15 years ago or so in cubase it`s my version of "whole lotta rosie".ta.

• Members

Garthman: I loved the whistling version

Deep-end: Get well soon. Missed your entry. You're right. I post Bonne Année every January.

It's my other New Year's song.

Cat's CurlYear: You're a real Pro. You caught that pitch-bend thing.

Your cut was great. I'm not much on Rock but your work is always first-rate.

• Members
Misha - That was lovely. Well played. I can't play piano at all so you're doing well. I only wish the piece were a bit longer. Please don't keep your light under a bushel. We need you here in the old VOM1T.

Hi DeepEnd! I had to look for a translation for that expression! ;-)

Thank you! I know, I make short clips. I'm afraid to make too much mistakes with longer pieces! I also need to work on my memory.

For this one, I need to learn with the real partition because I just know a little bit of the first part. (Half of the short clip is just playing and trying to stay in the right key with something that will sound ok... The real Moonlight Sonata is a much better piece! Much longer too!)

I hope you're feeling better with that cold!!

• Members
The first VOM of the new year so let's make it a good one.

My submission is a song from 1961 written and performed by soul singer William Bell. It was later recorded by other people including Otis Reading, Taj Mahal and The Byrds. I'm doing a stripped down (of course) acoustic version based on The Byrd's take of the song which, since it came from the "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" album (and so probably Gram Parson's idea), had a distinct country feel to it.

1st take:

https://app.box.com/s/euya1wcr57uma0ogix8zj5qif2gyrcf2

2nd take:

https://app.box.com/s/s364j28xlz6ji037zrxjnya3f6j5mykm

Both takes recorded via Audacity with a single Toshiba condenser mic through an Avid Mbox. Take one played on my nylon strung Ovation alike with some whistling ( :facepalm: ) and take 2 played on my Crafter dreadnought - no whistling, phew.

Hi Garthman!

Nice to hear your songs! I can't whistle to save my life! Well done!! :music005:

• Members
Hi DeepEnd! I had to look for a translation for that expression! ;-)

Thank you! I know, I make short clips. I'm afraid to make too much mistakes with longer pieces! I also need to work on my memory.

For this one, I need to learn with the real partition because I just know a little bit of the first part. (Half of the short clip is just playing and trying to stay in the right key with something that will sound ok... The real Moonlight Sonata is a much better piece! Much longer too!)

I hope you're feeling better with that cold!!

It's from the Bible, specifically from the Sermon On The Mount. I was hoping you'd understand. I know the real Moonlight Sonata is longer but the part you played sounded fine and I'll take what I can get. That doesn't keep me from wishing for more though. :thu:

• Members

It's the word "bushel" that I had to look for! Now that I know, I can relate to a similar expression in French. It makes sense that it comes from the Bible. You know, in Quebec, even if people don't go to church a lot, nowadays, they say that even if they took the people out of church, they will never pull the church out of us! I hope I don't offend anybody saying that. But I think it's really true! We are more religious than we think here. It's still part of our culture and education and it will always be! :-)

• Members

I'm glad you were able to find a familiar word that was equivalent. I sometimes forget others don't always have shared expressions. I don't think you could get the church out of me either. Anyway, the important thing is that you let the rest of us see and hear your talent and don't keep it hidden. :thu:

Archived