It's official---Freeman Keller is building my bucket-list guitar

Danocoustic

• Members

I have long wanted an OM built to my specs and preferences. I find the OM's freq response to be the most even and pleasant, and though I'm a large human being, the most comfortable to hold.

I want a mahogany body and a sitka top. This will be a dedicated fingerstyle guitar---emphasis on attack and primary notes, not looking for a lot of overtones or sustain. It will never see a flatpick (I have guitars for that). My passion is Piedmont-style blues/ragtime. I wanna be Blind Blake or Reverend Gary Davis when I grow up (like that's ever gonna happen---).

I've been following FK's work for many years now and I have full confidence that he can build what I want.

Stand by. There will be a build thread :cool:

• Members
Fantastic!

My Barncaster is a monster and is now challenging my Anderson for #1 spot in my stable. :D

That's awesome :thu:

I can source parts for electrics (wish I had the space to build them myself, but I don't), and I'm confident in my abilities to make what I want in that realm---but building an acoustic is a whole 'nother animal.

I am really quite excited :cool:

• Members

Yes, I told Dano that one of the stipulations was that I would force all of you to watch the build thread. Some of the discussion we will obviously be kept between us but I think it would interesting and fun to have some of the decision making open to the forum. The whole idea of a custom guitar is to get exactly what you want - I'm looking forward to working with Dano on this and trying to make his dream guitar.

I'll also add that this is in the very preliminary stage and we need to get thru the holidays before very much happens. Stay tuned.

• Members
I have long wanted an OM built to my specs and preferences. I find the OM's freq response to be the most even and pleasant, and though I'm a large human being, the most comfortable to hold.

I want a mahogany body and a sitka top. This will be a dedicated fingerstyle guitar---emphasis on attack and primary notes, not looking for a lot of overtones or sustain. It will never see a flatpick (I have guitars for that). My passion is Piedmont-style blues/ragtime. I wanna be Blind Blake or Reverend Gary Davis when I grow up (like that's ever gonna happen---).

I've been following FK's work for many years now and I have full confidence that he can build what I want.

The OM style is by far my favorite shaped acoustic. Freeman work is amazing and I love to watch his work in progress.OM's are a comfy size giving you almost as much bottom end as a Dreadnaught, but more balanced mids. For fingerstyle playing it's the bomb. Personally, I like the crispier high end of rosewood, but mahogany back and side is charming and warm. I have had a Martin MC 28 with for 30 years. The cutaway these days isn't my thing, and the guitar has had a neck reset, new bridge, and saddle done by my local luthier, and paid for by Chris Martin. I also had it re-fretted, well the money maker frets as they call em.

Hope to find out more details also the way like the width at the nut, neck shape and bracing

I don't what your budget it, but I'm a big fan of herringbone body inlay and herringbone running the backside. Maybe old school butterbean tuners. Much of the synthetic nuts and bridge are just as nice as bone, but I'd go with mammoth bone.

A buddy of my had our local luthier make him a parlor sized guitar and it had tumble maple leaves on the fretboard. Amazing guitar.

The sweet thing about a handcrafted custom guitar is the builder can control ever part of the process. I like my Martins and Gibby acoustics, but these builders are more production workers for the most part. I sure like any other production worker their head is somewhere else and "good enough", is good enough for government work. Some large manufacture luthiers are just that, and some of the best out there.

This might be the best thread I have seen here in a long while, and when it's done you'll have something very special.

I myself love Piedmont style guitar, however, I use all my fingers except my pinky for picking and never got used to a National thumb pick or National style finger picks. So I'm not exactly traditional Piedmont style. Too bad, cause you get way more snap from a thumb pick. I took lessons from a guy that was classically trained and I wanted to know how to play The Beatles Blackbird some 40 years ago.

I like flat picks too for rock and for the mandolin.

• Members
. . . I use all my fingers except my pinky for picking and never got used to a National thumb pick or National style finger picks. So I'm not exactly traditional Piedmont style. Too bad, cause you get way more snap from a thumb pick. I took lessons from a guy that was classically trained and I wanted to know how to play The Beatles Blackbird some 40 years ago.

I like flat picks too for rock and for the mandolin.

Over time, I've beome comfortable with finger picks, thumb picks, flat picks, and bare fingers. It all seems to sound like me.

The only thing I haven't bothered trying is bare-fingered mando. My next challenge?

• Members

I certainly hope that no animals will be harmed as a result of this project.

• Members

I certainly hope that no animals will be harmed as a result of this project.

Mammoth bone nut, saddle, end pins are amazing.

They have been dead for 4000 years, so all is good.

My luthier Steve is also a vegan and approves.

https://guitarpartsandmore.com/products.php?Premium-Dark-Fossil-Wooly-Mammoth-Ivory-Guitar-Bridge-Pins-52

• Members

Bucket list commission...check. Done that, given away.

Freeman's skills notwithstanding, and not to be the uber-stoic on these commissions (just to be curmudgeonly; a hobby), beware the expectation versus the revelation. Freeman's can't dig from your ears and shape-shift it into a guitar. No one can.

I made similar material requests on an OM and got exactly what I spec'd. After a year and 3K I received a guitar I'd normally put back up on the wall at a GC, unmoved by it, but in my case there was more than a little disappointment at work. But, some chance of fate put a rather talented and financially struggling single parent kid across my path who took that guitar home paying only a token thankyou into my philanthropic coffers, plus a hug from his mom, neither of which was needed.

So reserve the giddy expulsion of the muse until you're on the back side of your review.

Archived