No announcement yet.

A cool new acoustic from.... Fender?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil O'Keefe
    started a topic A cool new acoustic from.... Fender?

A cool new acoustic from.... Fender?

I know they don't have the greatest of reputations for their acoustic guitars, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Fender Redondo Classic acoustic...

Click image for larger version

Name:	redondo-classic-main-d871753a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	32408805

For all the details, check out my full review:

https://www.harmonycentral.com/exper...edondo-classic

As always, if you have any questions or comments about the guitar or the review, feel free to post them here.

• epi56ebony
    replied
    I have 3 Fender acoustics [in addition to Martin HD-35, 000-18, Gibson Advanced Jumbo, Taylor GS Mini and baby T. Swift and a few others cheapo models recording king etc.]

I think they are all very good

1. a Vince Ray model with cool graphics on the front the "Guitar Monster From Outer Space" which I believe I posted a picture in the acoustic section a while back. Most everyone hated it, but I love guitars with wild graphics on them.

2. the Ron Emory Loyalty Parlor which I just love, butterscotch color all laminate but still sounds great! I don't have to worry too much about the humidity on this baby. really nice player. bought it and the vince ray model from Truetone in Santa Monica when they had a Fender sale and were blowing these out. Both are now out of production

3 Fender nylon thinline. CN-140. about $300 I think and very nice. acoustic and electric thinner neck

Leave a comment:

• DeepEnd
    replied
    Originally posted by thankyou View Post
    . . . I've always liked Fender's straight pull strings, which can also be found on Ovations, just with three tuners per side. No bad rap on Gibson and Taylor, but the physics are better with straight pull strings.
    Seagull and Takamine also make some effort toward straight pull headstocks.

Leave a comment:

• thankyou
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
    I know they don't have the greatest of reputations for their acoustic guitars, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Fender Redondo Classic acoustic...

Name:	redondo-classic-main-d871753a.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	32408805

For all the details, check out my full review:

https://www.harmonycentral.com/exper...edondo-classic

As always, if you have any questions or comments about the guitar or the review, feel free to post them here.
    When I saw the guy in the video below your review, I wondered if you had found the Fountain of Long and Flowing Locks, then I saw it was Aaron Lee Tasjan, who I first heard this week in a Bluegrass Underground show. He's worth checking out. Bluegrass Underground is not restricted to bluegrass, and Aaron is more rock than grass.

I've always liked Fender's straight pull strings, which can also be found on Ovations, just with three tuners per side. No bad rap on Gibson and Taylor, but the physics are better with straight pull strings.

Leave a comment:

• Neal
    commented on 's reply
    Had no biz there, either!

• bieke
    replied
    rumor has it that Fender will release a made in USA acoustic line at NAMM next week
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm...ic-guitar-line

Name:	img?regionKey=2eYB06TR8%2B7czZTNIoIXAQ%3D%3D&scale=100.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	32453549

Leave a comment:

• Idunno
    replied
    I get you, Howard. I couldn't picture you and Dylan or Cohen coming together over that guitar.

The MOP laden guitar is typically a host to a craftsman who specializes in inlay work. If not for the ostentatious at large he'd be out of work and out-of-work inlay artists would make the world a sadder place.

I guess.

Then we have all the so-called boutique builders with a penchant for that kind of thing, though they lean towards contrasting wood species, creating all manner of visual ornamentation. Even Ervin Somogyi, considered the premier artisan of luthiery, can get a bit visually busy for the sake of visually busy. If he sets the bar for ostentatious in an embracing market, that means he sets the standard others strive to achieve.

It sells over sound to the eyeball market, though. In that sense it swaps virtues from sound to sight and that legitimizes it. But, I've yet to find a word other than tacky to describe it because I can't appreciate ornamentation.

Fender, in this instance, strikes me as outrageously intent on foisting an acoustic faux pas upon a traditional market to see what falls out. If they have that kind of scratch to throw around experimentally, instead of actually trying to create a respectable acoustic line they've never had, then they are comfortably situated with their market share and are just tossing outrageous ideas around for the grins.
    Last edited by Idunno; 01-17-2019, 06:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• garthman
    replied
    Originally posted by Idunno View Post
    . . . . Well, stranger things and all that...

I used to claim that aesthetics had zero impact if the sound was good but a man's got to know when his limits are being tested. Fender did me the favor of showing me mine.

Fact is, I could not be seen in public with this guitar. Perhaps Cindy-Lou Who could rock it but I could not conjure up the courage or character to stand behind this guitar without busting a belly laugh.
    Oh indeed, Joe. Not for me either in that respect. But then, lots of people play ghastly things with more MOP of bling than wood that cost zillions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Leave a comment:

• Idunno
    replied
    Well, stranger things and all that...

I used to claim that aesthetics had zero impact if the sound was good but a man's got to know when his limits are being tested. Fender did me the favor of showing me mine.

Fact is, I could not be seen in public with this guitar. Perhaps Cindy-Lou Who could rock it but I could not conjure up the courage or character to stand behind this guitar without busting a belly laugh.

Leave a comment:

• garthman
    replied
    Well! I actually played one of these last week - I doubted I'd ever see one in the UK. And you know what? - it played well and sounded great. If it wasn't a sh1tty blue colour I might have considered buying it.
    ​​​
    Last edited by garthman; 01-17-2019, 05:09 AM. Reason: Circumvent the censor

Leave a comment:

• Delmont
    replied
    Originally posted by Neal View Post
    Yeah, it’s that headstock. As a sorta old person who should be voting republican, bitching about kids on my lawn, and saying “candy bars cost...WHAT!!!?”, it’s just not right. Blue, ok. But good lord, that’s a slickin’ CLASSIC electric guitar headstock. Has no business on an acoustic.

...and I really do say the candy bar bit.
    On the other hand, if it was good enough for Merle Travis . . . .

Leave a comment:

• catscurlyear
    replied
    i like the look, it looks fun ,would suit a rockabilly type act.The coloured bodies suit the headstock .i`m sure i`d get it to play nice with my junior hack saw blade, an allen key and a file.

Leave a comment:

• Mikeo
    replied
    Originally posted by Delmont View Post
    Too non-traditional for me. Just hurts my eyes. They should stick to Teles, Strats, and amps, like the good Lord intended.

Leave a comment:

• Neal
    replied
    BUT...having written that, there is the truth that what we “oldguys” hold dear are most certainly not, and shouldn’t be, what ...is. Knowwhatimean?

Leave a comment:

• Neal
    replied
    Yeah, it’s that headstock. As a sorta old person who should be voting republican, bitching about kids on my lawn, and saying “candy bars cost...WHAT!!!?”, it’s just not right. Blue, ok. But good lord, that’s a slickin’ CLASSIC electric guitar headstock. Has no business on an acoustic.

...and I really do say the candy bar bit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X