Best Non-Wood Guitars...

CenturyStanding

• Members

What're everyone's thoughts on non-wood acoustics? Are there any companies out there making them that are particularly good or bad? Before you inevitably chime in and say "just buy a wood guitar," let me give you some background...

I have a small home studio in a 120 year old apartment building in Queens, NY. The building runs off of steam heat with insane temperature swings and has a constant problem with dryness. My electrics were starting to warp, so I put them in storage and bought an Aristides 060 to keep in the apartment. It's a custom guitar made from a synthetic material that is impervious to temperature and humidity and requires no maintenance besides some occasional small bridge adjustments. It was a game-changer and easily the best guitar purchase I've ever made.

Now I'm looking to make the plunge into an acoustic with similar features and am curious as to what is out there. Anyone with experience in this area that could shine a light?

• Members

There's an older guy in the area I live that has a couple of Carbon Fiber acoustics. They do have some projection to the unplugged. A little on the cold side tone wise. They are not lightweight.

I played his Rain Song, and he also has a Composite Acoustic, which I believe is made by Peavey.

Here's some companies that are off the top of my head.

https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/collections/guitars

http://www.rainsong.com/

http://www.compositeacoustics.com/

http://mcphersonguitars.com/carbon-series/

http://www.journeyinstruments.com/

https://klosguitars.com/collections/guitars

• Members

A friend has a couple of Rainsongs - one he leaves out in his living room, one he keeps at his lake cabin (he has some expensive wood guitars that he keeps in proper storage). I have played both (and spent a bunch of time poking around inside (I build guitars and am naturally curious). I think they are quite fine for the way he uses them and I would consider owning one as a travel/camp fire guitar, but they would never replace my wood guitars. My suggestion, as always, is to play as many as you can and make up your own mind

IMG_3812_zps1hul5veg.jpg

IMG_3813_zpspamao3az.jpg

IMG_3814_zpsdssje2hi.jpg

FWIW, Rainsong does make a couple of versions of their guitars (not just size but construction materials). Some are carbon fiber, some are simply glass fiber. I don't know how much difference that makes, the CF should be much lighter but does that translate to more responsive? The one in the pictures is the glass version.

• Members
A friend has a couple of Rainsongs - one he leaves out in his living room, one he keeps at his lake cabin (he has some expensive wood guitars that he keeps in proper storage). I have played both (and spent a bunch of time poking around inside (I build guitars and am naturally curious). I think they are quite fine for the way he uses them and I would consider owning one as a travel/camp fire guitar, but they would never replace my wood guitars. My suggestion, as always, is to play as many as you can and make up your own mind

IMG_3812_zps1hul5veg.jpg

IMG_3813_zpspamao3az.jpg

IMG_3814_zpsdssje2hi.jpg

FWIW, Rainsong does make a couple of versions of their guitars (not just size but construction materials). Some are carbon fiber, some are simply glass fiber. I don't know how much difference that makes, the CF should be much lighter but does that translate to more responsive? The one in the pictures is the glass version.

The 2 I played weren't exactly light. weight There's a lot of epoxy resin use to hold the carbon fibers together. Very good strength with weight ratio.

Like you said, you need to try them. I wasn't exactly super impressed with the tone. It wasn't a sound I would call rich or warm.

• Members

http://www.rainsong.com/classic/ws6.html

I played this many times at a local GC. It won't turn the heads of people accustomed to the sound of conventional tone woods but you need to dismiss that expectation going in. Last time I checked I could not get the Ferrari out of a Chevette. But, until I realized the impossibility of that I kept looking for it.

Forget the sound of tone woods and go in clean with an honest and open ear. The WS concert (link above) was engaging and very easily a keeper for me. I just didn't need another guitar or it would have raced me home.

• Members

Carbon fiber is really your only choice for the issues you raise. HPL is cool and cheap, but there’s still wood, and in my opinion, sound cheap too. Rainsong, Blackbird, only 2 I’ve played, and only the Clara, a uke, of the Blackbird. But the sound is distinctive, and quite pleasing to my ear.

carbon fiber guitars sound “tubby”, but in a good way.

• Moderators

I have had the opportunity over the years to try a number of alternative material instruments at the winter NAMM shows. Carbon fiber guitars are interesting, but I realized one thing: you had better love the sound and feel of a CF guitar when you buy it, because unlike tonewoods, the sound will not change with age...and there isn't much you can do about the action [although some of the newer Rainsongs have truss rods].

That said, I own a Fender Stratocoustic, a Martin X000CE, and an Applause fretless bass [really an oddball, it should be an Ovation, the neck is wood]...all purchased used, btw.

I have several others wooden acoustics, like a '71 Guild, a custom made dreadnaught...so I know tone woods. So why have these non-woods? Outdoor solo gigs in SoCal, playing by the pool, open acoustic jams...and frankly, when I run the Fender through the TC Helicon Body Rez, it sounds fabulous. The Martin, although somewhat lifeless unplugged, sounds like other a/e Martins I have used when electrified. I don't worry about these guitars being left out in the open on stands and I don't give a hoot what other people think.

To the OP...get a multi-room humidifer...seriously. Much cheaper than a Rainsong or an Emerald or Aristides, and all around better for your health as well! :thu:

I lived in Queens for many years, too, with steam heat, but never worried about my instruments because we had a humidifier.

I have a multi-room unit here in L.A. as well, because when the Santa Anas blow, the air dries up to the point that spit evaporates before it hits the sink ;)

• Members

Carbon fiber for weather resistance, do they float? :D2

I found a replacement gasket for my humidifier's reservoir tank cap abut an hour ago, lost original.

Pays to be an organized packrat.

I don't have any vintage acoustics, but...

better for sinuses and skin and wood furniture too...:blah::)

dust mites succumb if the RH is above 40% too.

• Members

I have a Dobro 33H w/ the 10.5" c biscuit cone, not the 9.5" and a Dobro F60 woody. All spider cones are 10.5 that I am aware of.

I was gonna order another 10.5" cone just to have it on hand. They are a bit less common than the 9.5" ones.

Archived