Blown Cans

Idunno

• Members

Been trying to do some more recording with some new gear but the cans have finally slipped into sonic silence. To the recycle bin with them. Can anyone suggest a set that don't need to be top shelf? My ears are not so no sense spending on something I'm not going to hear.

Thanks,

• Members

yeah thats something i'm also interested in. headphones, closed, neutral in its frequency response...

the one i know are either over üowering the bass, or they lack the bass at all and sound completely different than my in ears i use with my mp3 player...

• Members

i`ve had a pair of Fostex T50RP for some years now , they are good,being enclosed they block the sound going back down the mic when you`re recording, so when you record a vocal you don`t hear what sounds like a swarm of bees along with the vocal. The headphone cable also detaches from the headphone so if the cable get s fractured or whatever you can buy a replacement.

i think i`d maybe look at getting some decent cordless headphones ,then you`re not accidently standing on the cable and yanking your head back which is very anoying.

a couple more sets i have and are decent sounding are some sennheiser pmx 60 they are decent sounding but a short cable.

i also have a pair of Pioneer se-a4 which sound good ,i can`t remember how long i`ve had these, i attached and soldered a curly stereo lead to them so they now stretch a long way and don`t tug at your head when you stand on the cable.

• Members
Been trying to do some more recording with some new gear but the cans have finally slipped into sonic silence. To the recycle bin with them. Can anyone suggest a set that don't need to be top shelf? My ears are not so no sense spending on something I'm not going to hear.

Thanks,

I've been using these for decades.

Sony MDR-7506

AKG K240

However, I might try the KRK's next time around.

• Members

So “cans” are headphones? Youdamnkids nowadays.

hah! Cans as in the old 2 cans and string like kids?! Ok. Got nuthin on the original query tho. DE’s suggestion would be my purchase, because I’m cheap, and they’d probably be fine and....nevermind, wish I knew stuff.

• Members

hah! Cans as in the old 2 cans and string like kids?! Ok. Got nuthin on the original query tho. DE’s suggestion would be my purchase, because I’m cheap, and they’d probably be fine and....nevermind, wish I knew stuff.

Learn something new every day. Cans are headphones. I thought they were what beer came in. Whoadathunk?

• Members

I've always like Samson for very good quality headphones at prices that wouldn't break the bank. Budget around $30 will get you a pair of semi-open-back SR850. Ramp up the budget to around $70 and you get much, much better quality in the SR950 headphones. And for more serious studio work, $99 +/- will get you Z55 pro headphones. I love these and thought they were comparable to the ex's pro Sennheisers for studio work.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I've collected them all on a piece of paper and presented them to my #2 son. He buys me a set and I trade him a 1998 (his birth year) Jeep Cherokee Classic, recently resurrected from the grave in the Halloween spirit, when they arrive.

• Members

they`ve been called cans as long as i can remember , . those big old headphones that looked like they belonged to an airplane pilot sounded like tin cans .. 2 tins and string , we had a go at that when we were kids, ha ha.over and out

• Members

Bear in mind the Tascams I mentioned are back up to $149.99. It was only a one day price. OTOH, a Jeep from #2 son's birth year is special and worth more than the $3-4K it would be otherwise, and he ought to appreciate dear old Dad enough to pony up for a really nice pair.

• Members
Bear in mind the Tascams I mentioned are back up to $149.99. It was only a one day price. OTOH' date=' a Jeep from #2 son's birth year is special and worth more than the $3-4K it would be otherwise, and he ought to appreciate dear old Dad enough to pony up for a really nice pair.[/quote']

Indeed. A really, really, really nice pair.

• Members

I just use a set of Phillips SHL 9950 - lightweight on-ear, closed back headphones with 40 mm diaphragm units. Cheap and cheerful but an excellent sound and so comfortable to wear. Some of those big expensive models make you feel like someone has your head in a vice.

BTW - not much use in owning headphones with a dynamic range up to 38,000 Hz or whatever when most of us here are of an age when our ears probably don't pick up much above 8000 Hz

• Members

Thanks,

I noticed GC has Sennheiser HD380's on sale for $99 - same price as the HD 280's.

So I ordered a pair today.

I recommend:

SONY MDR 7506

HD 280's

AKG K-240's

The SONY are my main headphones now.

AKG 240's now are around $50-80 new. They are good headphones too.

• Members
. . . BTW - not much use in owning headphones with a dynamic range up to 38' date='000 Hz or whatever when most of us here are of an age when our ears probably don't pick up much above 8000 Hz [/quote']

True dat. The rule of thumb for human hearing is 20Hz-20KHz and that top end is for kids/young adults. Most men can't hear the upper part of that range and it gets worse with age. In truth, I use a pair of cheap on ear headphones I bought from Walmart.

hah! Cans as in the old 2 cans and string like kids?! Ok.

Yup, that's probably where the term originated... it's been a common slang term for headphones in recording studios for as long as I can remember - and my studio experience goes back to the 1970s. It's not a new expression at all.

• Members

I also have a pair of these at the house. I don't know why I bought them.

There were a take on the classic 4AA.

Heavy, loud and just brutal.

Good for drummers.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"koss_pro4aa_titanium.jpg","data-attachmentid":32367540}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"7-Nigel-cans.jpg","data-attachmentid":32367541}[/ATTACH]

Fast Forward about 40 years

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"JS99757259.jpg","data-attachmentid":32367542}[/ATTACH]

Archived