How to Play Intro to Tom Petty's AMERICAN GIRL

75guitar

• Members

Hi,

Playing on my Taylor 810 dreadnaught ...

Below is the American Girl intro in Key of D. How can a get a similar distinctive sound in the intro in the key of G ? THANKS!

Intro Riff / Chord

Here is how you play the distinctive D chord heard in the intro (and in between many of the verses). The trick here is to mute the B string with your index finger (which should be used to play the 7th fret on the G string).

e-|---10---- <--- pinky

B-|----x---- <--- muted with index finger

G-|----7---- <--- index finger

D-|----0----

A-|--------- Listen along for the strumming pattern.

E-|---------

D

Thanks,

Rick

• Members

Three choices:

E: -- -- 3

B: -- -- mute with 2nd finger

G: -- -- 0

D: -- -- 5 (optional)

E: -- -- X

B: -- -- 8

D: -- -- 5

E: -- -- 15

B: -- -- mute

D: -- -- 17 (optional

You could get a similar configuration on lower strings but it won't sound so good.

• Members
Hi,

Playing on my Taylor 810 dreadnaught ...

Below is the American Girl intro in Key of D. How can a get a similar distinctive sound in the intro in the key of G ? THANKS!

Intro Riff / Chord

Here is how you play the distinctive D chord heard in the intro (and in between many of the verses). The trick here is to mute the B string with your index finger (which should be used to play the 7th fret on the G string).

e-|---10---- <--- pinky

B-|----x---- <--- muted with index finger

G-|----7---- <--- index finger

D-|----0----

A-|--------- Listen along for the strumming pattern.

E-|---------

D

Thanks,

Rick

I've never paid any attention to the Tom Petty song, but if you barre the first three or four strings at 7 and play the first at 10 you've got a nice complete D chord and don't have to mute the second string (it is an F# which is part of the D triad). Interestingly if you barre all 4 strings you get an A on the fourth (also part of the triad), if you only barre three you get a D on the fourth which of course is the root. I like the all three notes of the chord.

Really, its just the old folkie "long A" chord moved from the second fret to the seventh

• Members
THANKS to ALL !

You're welcome.

PS. The "distinctive D chord" in the song isn't actually a D chord at all. A true D major chord is made up of three notes: D F# A (viz the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes in the key). The intro "chord" is actually three D notes being played an octave apart: D3, D4, D5.

Archived