Martin OM 28E

Telecruiser

• Members

I have an old MC 28 and it is amazing. The OM28 should sound great unplugged. They have almost as much bottom end as a dreadnought, however, they are voice very differently, having punchier mids.

Now the new OM 28 don't come with a pickup, which is a plus imo. You get to choose the pup system you want. There are plenty of good ones out there.

Plugging in an acoustic is a whole different ball of wax.

I have 3 Martins, 2 of which I can plug in. I also us a Fishman Spectra DI, which I have recommended to everyone in the past 10 years. Decided on the pickup system you want, and add a Fishman Spectra DI to the chain. You will not be sorry.

I'm in the process of choosing my next Martin.

• Members

Tele, by far the best place to be asking that question is the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (or your own ears). I happen to like Martin OM's, don't own one but have built several in that style. Most of the Martin OM's that I have played have been stellar guitars, but as always, they vary and I sure as heck would want to play one before shelling out three grand for it.

I get the opportunity to install pickups in some new Martins and people seem to be pretty much split between following the factory lead and putting a Fishman in or a sound board transducer like a K&K. Personally I would shop until I found the guitar that spoke to me acoustically, then I would decide the p/u that most suited my needs and the venue.

Let us know what you decide.

• Members

Let us know what you decide.

I have a 00016 with a K&K that was professionally installed (internal preamp model). I can't stand the sound. It is very mid rangy and no depth. This is playing it through my Fishman Loudbox and my PA with JBL 812's and a Soundcraft Ui24 with full EQ capabilities. I have played other guitars with factory p/u's (Taylor, Martin etc.) and they sound great. Now I could take it to another dealer and have something else installed but I am a little gun shy because it might be the same. Un amplified it sounds pretty good but it still could just be the guitar so that's why I'm looking at an upgrade, something I could play before I buy.

• Members

Interesting that you don't like the K&K, however it does work slightly differently than the normal UST so you could very well be getting a sound that you don't care for. Obviously one possibly is to put a Fishman style pickup in your 000, that certainly is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new guitar, but again, you don't get a chance to test it first.

I have zip experience playing out but I do install pickups for people that do and putting the Fishman in would not be that hard. If the K&K dots were super glued in you'll probably have to abandon them in place, if they were put in with sticky tape you should be able to get them out.

• Members

My buddy is using a Duncan DTar Wavelength Duo in his D 28. It's really nice.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/acoustic/wave-length-multi-source-system-steel?__uuid_ref=5ba54a41c6b05

I have an older Fishman Matrix in the MC 28, which has no tone or volume controls. The New Matrix has a tone and volume control, and so does the Matrix Blend. Now my bar slinger has a built-in Maxtrix blend pre amp with the mic in it.

I play through a Loudbox Performer or a Fishman solo amp. Well sometimes.

I also use a Fishman Spectra DI.

Archived