VOM1T September 2018

garthman

• Members

I'll review everyone's music later on. Here is my submission. I completely rearranged it and re-recorded it w/ new mic.

I'm proud of the acoustic guitar part. No double-tracking. I was not easy to play.

I'm been learning a new DAW & this was my first project on it.

Let me know how it sounds to you.

How's My Ex Treating You Redux 2

sounds great ,very pro sounding ,i like the vocals they remind me of Lou Reed.by the way which DAW is it

PreSonus Studio One. I think it's too complicated and counter-intuitive. But it works so far. I hate DAW's in general.

• Members

PreSonus Studio One,never tried it .i have used cubase for about 12 years, i have the latest version. they are probably all complicated but once you get the swing of them it becomes second nature,i havn`t used mine properly now for a couple of years since moving home and i don`t have my little studio setup anymore at the minute.i can only do quick basic stuff cause i don`t have enough privacy or soundproofing..

• Members

Let me know how it sounds to you.

How's My Ex Treating You Redux 2

There's something about this recording that just really grabbed me and sucked me in. The old-timey feel was just perfect. The noise floor was a bit high in the overall production, but IMHO, that just added to the old-timey quality. Well played.

Tell us about the new mic...

• Members

Sorry, nothing from me this month. The second weekend of October will be pretty busy so maybe not then either. :( Meanwhile, onward to the nice folks who did contribute:

Etienne Rambert - Nice job with an old time quality. Pretty sure I remember it from a few years ago.

• Members
Sorry, nothing from me this month. The second weekend of October will be pretty busy so maybe not then either. :( Meanwhile, onward to the nice folks who did contribute:

Etienne Rambert - Nice job with an old time quality. Pretty sure I remember it from a few years ago.

This is a completely different version. I re-wrote the acoustic guitar part - different key. Re-recorded it in late August & September, 2018, w/ new mic & new DAW software.

Mr. Harry Reems: There's something about this recording that just really grabbed me and sucked me in. The old-timey feel was just perfect. The noise floor was a bit high in the overall production, but IMHO, that just added to the old-timey quality. Well played.

(1) Tell us about the new mic...

CAD Equitek E300 v.2 . I bought it a few years ago. I never used it until now.

It's the biggest condenser I've ever seen. It has 2 sides & weighs 2.4 lbs. It is the only mic I own. So it's the only mic I used.

I have had good luck w/ CAD mic's. So I bought it new at a blow-out price (<$160) several years ago & packed it away. They are selling for a lot more today.

Mr. Harry Reems: (2) I use Studio One pretty extensively. I find it (mostly) simple and straightforward. What are you having probs with?

Too much menu diving & too many hidden commands. Too many short-cut commands to remember. On the + side, there is good hardware integration.

• Members
This is a completely different version. I re-wrote the acoustic guitar part - different key. Re-recorded it in late August & September' date=' 2018, w/ new mic & new DAW software. . . .[/quote']

Thanks, I know what "Redux 2" implies. What I meant was that I think I recall the original version but perhaps I'm fooling myself?

• Members

I ended up having another mainland trip interrupt my production schedule this last month, so I've only got this one for the moment...

As usual, I used a single mic, a Rode NT1a because I'm too lazy to set up stereo SDC's. Also, my SDC's are complete crap.

This is the first thing I've done with my new flute, a Muramatsu EX.

The guitar was double tracked using a Taylor 814ce

The bass was recorded with a Dean 5 string acoustic bass. It's a cheap bass, but it's ridiculously fun to play and gives that woody acoustic sound.

As always, it was recorded and mixed on Studio One 3.5 Pro.

This song has an interesting history. It came from a 15th century Scottish manuscript. It was later put to music by Robert Burns in the 1780's. Later, it was anglicized and many of the pagan references were removed. The Traffic/Steve Winwood version was taken strictly from the anglicized text. I've reversed a good deal of that, as in my mind, nobody has the right to steal the history of a people. As an example, the first verse of the anglicized version says, 'there were three men out of the west'. The original text was 'There were three kings into the east'. The original text was symbolic of the reverence for the sun, which rises in the east, and reverence for the stars, as three kings is a reference to Orion's belt.

John Barleycorn Must Die!

• Members

MrHarryReems - Nice job all around. I enjoyed it a lot. :thu:

garthman - As usual, hard to go wrong with Dylan. Sounded good. Is there some kind of phase effect going on with the guitar?

catscurlyear - To paraphrase what I said to garthman, it's hard to go wrong with the classics. Very well done.

• Members
.Wow. Exceptionally well done! Nice sense of space on the guitars, and the vocals are beautiful

thanks for the nice comment ,,,,but there is only one guitar on the recording,i know, it does sound a bit spacious , i even did a loop back test in cubase to make sure the audio was being layed down in the correct positions and the check came back ok . i suspect something is amiss somewhere ,could be to do with the tascam interface ,but personaly i don`t realy mind it.i remember doing the same recording technique in an e-mu soundcard and it never sounded as good as that.

Archived