VOM1T August 2018

garthman

• Members

Time for some music.

I've just started working on a Breton folk song called "Kimiad" (Farewell). The song was actually written in 1838 by a Breton bard named Prosper Proux but it is believed that he borrowed extensively from existing traditional songs. The song concerns a young man who laments leaving his Breton home and country when he is conscripted to the French army. France was involved in virtually constant warfare during the late 18th / early 19th century so conscription was often a death sentence.

Kimiad

https://app.box.com/s/3kj0hii2iek5y69nrdimijmjltb04otf

A quick recording on my little USB mic so quite a bit of noise, I'm afraid. Played on my nylon strung Ovation-alike.

Ma c'halon a zo frailhet, dre nerzh ma enkrezioù

Ma daoulagad entanet n'o deus mui a zaeloù

Deut eo, siwazh ! an devezh ma rankan dilezel, ma rankan dilezel

Lec'h kaer ma bugaleaj, ma bro, kaer Breiz-Izel, ma bro, kaer Breiz-Izel!

Keno dit, ma zi balan, kuzhet barzh an draonienn

Tachenn c'hlaz war behini, bugel, e c'hoarien;

Gwez ivin ker bodennek, e disheol ar beure, e disheol ar beure

E-pad tommder an hañvoù e kousken da greisteiz, e kousken da greisteiz

• Members

Hi Howard ,top of the morning to you, that`s a nice pleasant tune. i tried putting the lyrics into google translate and it was getting confused thinking it was romanian or french i think and would not translate ,never mind .

i`m getting into stereo guitar recorded signals .at the mo ,so i took a direct signal into one mono track and then a miced signal into another mono track through my tascam soundcard the image seems quite wide and makes it sound like two guitars at times . it`s my Tanglewood Koa electro acoustic tuned down one full tone (bottom string is D) so that i can reach the singing notes .here`s Solsbury Hill by Pete Gabriel ta

https://soundcloud.com/user-282584942/solsbury-hilll

• Members

Here's mine. Chordite over in Electric Guitars posted this a couple of weeks ago:

Over Niagara in a Martin.

Now there's a folk song waiting to be written, Johnny Cash style.sm-happy

I banged out some quick lyrics and, over the next few days, put them to music and did a quick-and-dirty recording of the result, an original titled "Just To Get Through The Day": http://kiwi6.com/file/l0tm7eu8y4.

• Members
Hi Howard ' date='top of the morning to you, that`s a nice pleasant tune. i tried putting the lyrics into google translate and it was getting confused thinking it was romanian or french i think and would not translate ,never mind .[/quote']

Thanks, Cats. Yes - a lovely melody, isn't it? Here is (a quite flowery LOL) translation:

Farewell

My heart is broken by the force of my anguish

My swollen eyes have no more tears

Alas, the day has come that I must leave

The beautiful place of my childhood, my country

Beautiful Lower Brittany

Goodbye, my house of broom, hidden in the valley

Green terrain over which, as a child, I played

Leafy yews of my village in the shade of which, in the morning

In the heat of the summer, I slept until noon.

It sounds much better in the original Breton

• Members

You're welcome, Cats. I believe he went off to the army but no idea if he missed the war. The original song has 16 verses which I suspect is at least 12 too many. I toyed with the idea of doing another 2 or 3 but decided to be prudent. I think a good decision.

• Members

Hi Danocoustic . . . and welcome. VOM1T stands for Virtual Open Mic 1 Take. It was invented by a couple of forumites several years ago. It's meant to approximate a real Open Mic performance but really, anything goes. It would be good to hear some of your stuff. I start a new VOM usually on the 3rd weekend of each month so you have plenty of time to record something for the September event.

• Members
Dang! What have I been missing here?! Really enjoyed these, all you guys. Might bother to find a way to share some of mine one of these days.

...and, uh, what does "VOM1T" mean? (hi, im new here)

Hi and welcome. garthman pretty much explained it. Several years ago there was an idea for a HC Acoustic Guitar Forum CD. Each participant would contribute at least one song. My contribution was a CD cover made from a collage of people's avatars. The project never got off the ground but Stackabones, who's no longer around, came up with the VOM1T, or VOM for short, and was the original host. When he left, Michael Martin, who's also no longer around, took over hosting. When he left, garthman took over. We've had all manner of music: originals, covers, vocal, instrumental, occasional collaborations, mostly acoustic guitar but keyboards and whatnot too. Whatever you choose to contribute is welcome.

• Members
I'm not really new here' date=' ya mooks[/quote']

I know you're not new to HC but I don't normally see you post in Acoustic Guitars and I don't recall seeing or hearing a VOM submission from you. The fact that you had to ask what VOM1T meant implies you're relatively new to this part of the Forum, thus welcome to the acoustic side.

• Members

I know you're not new to HC but I don't normally see you post in Acoustic Guitars and I don't recall seeing or hearing a VOM submission from you. The fact that you had to ask what VOM1T meant implies you're relatively new to this part of the Forum, thus welcome to the acoustic side.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I was actually pretty regular here from '03 until my long "vacation" from HC---back to the days when Lil Brother was moderator---and the board was quite active. This VOM1T thing is new since then. That's all.

In any case, thanks! I'll try to get some kind of recording thing happening. It would be cool to participate.

• Members

I thought I’d have one ready this month – almost but not quite.

I am re-orchestrating two Jerry Lee Lewis old honky tonk songs for acoustic solo & voice - in Mono - of course.

I'm learning PreSonus Studio One to do it.

That's the rub.

Garthman

Once again, it has the LC “Songs from a Room” feel to it, especially with the French lyrics. One of my top 5 favorite albums.

Good job.

--

Catscurlyear

Beautiful playing & singing. Nice recording too.

Mono almost always sounds better than stereo if you ask me. You sound good in mono.

DeepEnd

I'm sorry. I was afraid to open the file. The web host to the song wanted me to install an extension to my browser to listen.

First I had to disable my ad blocker. Then I had to install an extension. Is that unique to my computer? I declined to do that. Sorry.

• Members
DeepEnd

I'm sorry. I was afraid to open the file. The web host to the song wanted me to install an extension to my browser to listen.

First I had to disable my ad blocker. Then I had to install an extension. Is that unique to my computer? I declined to do that. Sorry.

You should be able to listen without disabling your ad blocker or installing browser extensions. the only trouble I've had was with a mobile browser with built-in ad block. I was able to listen when I set the browser for "desktop." Just click on the "Listen" button, shown here in MS Edge:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Kiwi_Cap.jpg","data-attachmentid":32318118}[/ATTACH]

Just in case, I've uploaded a low-fi version directly to HC.

• Members

I wasn't as productive as usual this past month, as I was in Ireland for a few weeks playing in pubs up and down the Shannon River. However, I did manage to complete one recording this month despite my travels.

Here's one of the Irish traditional pieces I was playing through the countryside. This one never failed to get the locals singing along.

The Star of the County Down

I had a great time listening to everyone's contributions this month.

Garthman: Beautiful tune. Despite being unable to understand the language, it still managed to convey emotion. Thanks for the translation!

Catscurlyear: Very nice listen. Loved your voice, and the guitar was very pleasing to the ear.

Deepend: I swear that instantly reminded me of an all day session I had with a group of local musicians in Ireland. Great stuff!

• Members
. . . Here's one of the Irish traditional pieces I was playing through the countryside. This one never failed to get the locals singing along.

The Star of the County Down . . .

. . . Deepend: I swear that instantly reminded me of an all day session I had with a group of local musicians in Ireland. Great stuff!

Well done. I've heard that before but I couldn't say when. Anyway, you did a good job.

Thanks for your kind words. Irish isn't what I was going for but as long as you liked it I'll take it. ;)

Archived